Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 02-14-2020, 01:17 PM   #1
LewisB

Generator Auto-Start Voltage Level

We have a 2018 Raptor 353TS that includes the "Pro-Plus" iN-Command system as well as a 5500W Onan/Cummins generator. One of the things I liked about this system, purchased in early 2019, was the ability of the generator to be able to self-start based on low battery voltage. Running the gas heater (& blower) during the night, using the inverter to watch TV or be charging camera batteries, etc. all seemed to be possible knowing that when the batteries (2 deep cycle AGM) were getting low, the generator would start, run for an hour, and then shut down all automatically. In practice, the system works as intended and is great...

EXCEPT...on our last boondocking trip, I actually monitored this situation. It turns out, the auto-start condition is only initiated AFTER the battery level has been at 11.8Vdc for a minute or two. In practice, I saw our battery levels dropping to something like 11.6Vdc several times. The generator starts and runs on a timer for an hour. It then shuts down, tests the voltage, and then either restarts or waits until the voltage drops again.

QUESTION? Everything I read would suggest that discharging deep cycle AGM batteries down to 11.8Vdc on a regular basis will destroy the batteries. I called ASA (who has been super for customer support) and asked if there were settings that I could change that would initiate a generator re-start at a higher voltage (like 12.1 Vdc). According to ASA, this can not be changed either by the user or by ASA. It seems odd that they would design this system to allow the batteries to be destroyed in the process. I'm wondering if I have missed some important fact! I have a formal inquiry in to their technical department regarding this programming and I will keep you all posted in this issue.

Has anyone else noticed this issue? Am I misguided or overlooking some important fact? Any feedback or corrections to my thinking would be appreciated.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 05:34 PM   #2
Customer1

Just a guess, they are assuming the battery will be under a load. The 50% point to recharge is resting voltage.
Old 03-05-2020, 06:02 AM   #3
LewisB

Generator Auto-Start Voltage Level = 11.8VDC

Update from ASA:
  • the newest version of iN.Command "Global Connect" will be upgraded to address this issue. I could not determine if this would just be an updated voltage level or a user-adjustable setting. None-the-less, ASA plans to change their current version of the software.
  • there is no plan to update the 4 prior versions of iN.Command which include JRVCS2 "Pro Plus", JRVCS105 "Pro", JRVCS1 "Gen 1.0", and NCS50 "Lite" versions. Users of these 2018 and earlier versions will not get an upgrade to this feature and are stuck with their systems "as is".
According to ASA, the 11.8 volt auto-restart level was a contract specification approved by Keystone and will not be changed by ASA unless Keystone requests the change [I presume that includes payment for the change.]

Update from Keystone: No change here - Keystone does not address this type of issue with customers; they refer any calls to "your local dealer".

Update from our local dealer: thank heavens for our dealer, Rowley White RV in Phoenix who is super to work with - he has initiated an inquiry with Keystone but as of about 10 days has gotten no response.

Old 03-05-2020, 06:21 AM   #4
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Customer1 View Post
Just a guess, they are assuming the battery will be under a load. The 50% point to recharge is resting voltage.
Yes, I think that is right on. The iN.Command Pro-Plus system allows the coach batteries to reach 11.8 volts and remain at that level for a minute or two (not sure of exact timing). I believe that level and "pause" before starting are intended to insure that the system doesn't restart due to a momentary drop in voltage due to heavy load.

Are you aware of any charts or data on how quickly a battery settles in to its true "unloaded" voltage after heavy use? I suspect the settlement might occur on a logarithmic curve based on the chemistry at the plates.

My concern, of course, is that after a load, an unloaded system that measures 11.8 VDC after a minute of rest would not return anywhere close to the 50% discharge level that you have correctly identified. Thus, depending on the pre-2019 iN.Command systems to auto-start based on voltage will actually damage the batteries in your coach. I sure hope that is not true; hopefully my dealer will hear something from Keystone...

Old 03-11-2020, 10:14 AM   #5
LewisB

Final from Keystone

After several attempts, our dealer finally got a response on this issue from Keystone.
  • Apparently I am the only person who has ever questioned this value of the auto-start voltage of 11.8 VDC.
  • Keystone is confidenct that their original engineering "would have been" correct.
  • Neither Keystone nor ASA have any intention of addressing this issue or changing the auto-start voltage value in the Pro+ and earlier versions of iN.Command.
  • However, ASA plans to allow this value to be changed in future versions of the software. They don't seem to care about current customers.
Additionally, this issue has not drawn any interest in the forum aside from one other member (THANKS to Customer1 for your response).

My only recourse is to either drop my concerns or get with Cummins/Onan. Our generator has the auto-start module - maybe there is a way that I can feed battery voltage directly to the generator and circumvent the iN.Command system. I'll pursue this in the future.

To the Moderators/Site Team: I'd recommend that you let this thread die and remove it - doesn't seem to be any interest in the subject.

Tags
generator