Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-18-2020, 06:39 AM   #1
chunker

Keystone lines of 5th wheel toy hauler and quality

Quickly, my desires and needs are going to be a mid size 5th wheel again. Used to have the Raptor 300MP and generally satisfied with most of it. Going to get a mid upper 30s' under 17K GVWR. Want 2500+# cargo capacity with of course larger water/waste tanks. Gas generator. 11' garage for the bike and tools, REAL queen bed with accessible upstairs when the slides are in. Desired is a living area that can be accessed or partially accessed with the slides in.

Not desired is a bunch of bling so common out of Indiana the last few years. Not desired is the extensive rear patio systems of railings, awnings out back etc. My garage will be a garage. Just stuff I would have to remove and store at home. Not desired is a TV on the side wall that causes neck pain.

Keystone has several lines of TH and most I'm not familiar with. Anything touting "lite", "ultra lite", etc. means under built and something to avoid. Basically an empty weight of over 12-13K should mean substantial underpinnings. I have more than enough truck for up to 17K GVWR although I'll be under that.

Any feedback on what's good, or not so good, from Keystone? Considering used in the 3-5 year old range.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 09:56 AM   #2
bsmith0404

Your listing of toy haulers from Keystone top to bottom, Fuzion (flagship so to speak), Raptor, Impact, Carbon. Realistically, Impact is a Fuzion with fewer bells and whistles, Carbon is a lower trim Raptor. Raptor is very similar to Fuzion, but Fuzion gets a few extra benefits that Raptor does. It since as CNC walls. Basically, Fuzion is the Montana of toy haulers, Raptor is the Alpine. Then you have the Springdale and Hideout stock and tin bumper pulls.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2020, 11:06 AM   #3
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
Your listing of toy haulers from Keystone top to bottom, Fuzion (flagship so to speak), Raptor, Impact, Carbon. Realistically, Impact is a Fuzion with fewer bells and whistles, Carbon is a lower trim Raptor. Raptor is very similar to Fuzion, but Fuzion gets a few extra benefits that Raptor does. It since as CNC walls. Basically, Fuzion is the Montana of toy haulers, Raptor is the Alpine. Then you have the Springdale and Hideout stock and tin bumper pulls.
Thanks for the line up. It seems from my research that the availability of shorter better built models is low. Lots of 40++ footers, not so many 35-38 footers. I am also amazed at the rather low cargo capacity of many models. I was researching a Heartland Cyclone 3713 which is actually a 41' and a CC of about 1500#. Similar numbers for another Heartland toy hauler I saw at a FSBO lot on a military base. I assume those numbers are like most RVs that do not include options and most of the builds that I've seen, GD Momentum, Keystone Raptor and some other, have several hundred pounds of options, generator, extra air conditioners, patio systems, etc. Pretty much put your toy in the back, fill the water tanks for a trip to the boonies, and you are over gross and no adult beverages yet. Ah, ignorance is bliss.
Old 01-18-2020, 06:41 PM   #4
CaptnJohn

I have 2 friends with a TH, both High Country I think 381 TH is the model 1 hauls 2 Harleys the other a golf cart. The HC was the only one that would fit his cart inside. Both are happy but I think either 40' or 41'.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:08 AM   #5
Mongoose9400

https://www.rvusa.com/rv-guide/2019-...-3513p-tr39237

2015 F-350 CC LB SRW Platinum
-Michelin LTX A/T 2 - LT275/65R20E Tires
-B&W Ford Puck Mount Companion Hitch
2018 Raptor Predator Series 3513P, GVWR 16,820 lbs.
-Carlisle All Steel CSL16 - ST235/80R16F Tires
Mongoose9400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 07:53 PM   #6
Theoldroaddog

I own a Impact 361, 2016 model. Length is 39 feet has 2 axles and 11’6” garage and a second bathroom. The bling is minimal. We can go 5 to 7 days boondocking before we have to go to town and dump the tanks. It also came with a Onan 5500 generator and fuel
Station. Once we got all the issues sorted out, it is a great trailer.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #7
Roscommon48

your truck will handle any keystone product out there. good luck on your choice.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
MN-Clark

We have a very similar setup in our 2019 Carbon 357, 39', 2 axel TH. Simple is what we wanted. Upgrades done : blinds on the garage windows, faucet in the master bath, dimmers on the kitchen overhead and slideout lights, under body sewer hose carrier. We did get the ramp patio rail & stairs but haven't used them. Been thinking about a 2nd awing on the right rear but not sure yet.

We really like our rig!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theoldroaddog View Post
I own a Impact 361, 2016 model. Length is 39 feet has 2 axles and 11’6” garage and a second bathroom. The bling is minimal. We can go 5 to 7 days boondocking before we have to go to town and dump the tanks. It also came with a Onan 5500 generator and fuel
Station. Once we got all the issues sorted out, it is a great trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190725_170145722_HDR.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	434.8 KB
ID:	24899  
MN-Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 09:14 AM   #9
jimbob

Keystone Fuzion

I have a 2010 Fuzion 302. Has a 10' garage. I have a new Polaris General 1000 side x side, and it looks like I about 2" of extra room front to back to fit it in. I really like. I also had two Polaris ATV's a 700 and 800, they just fit next to each other.
jimbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 02:06 PM   #10
Dennis852

I would suggest going and looking at anything and everything within your price range. It took the wife and I 3 months of looking and we decided on the Raptor 356. I also have a truck with a 17k towing capacity and the raptor fully loaded is exactly it.
Dennis852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:19 PM   #11
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis852 View Post
I would suggest going and looking at anything and everything within your price range. It took the wife and I 3 months of looking and we decided on the Raptor 356. I also have a truck with a 17k towing capacity and the raptor fully loaded is exactly it.
Just info for others reading here!
Your tow vehicles "max tow rating" really means nothing, payload & axle weights are what you need to look at, most will exceed these numbers long before ever reaching the max tow number.
Compare the drivers door weights on your particular tow vehicle to the appropriate percentages of the gross weights of the particular RV, DO NOT use advertised or posted dry weights.
If the toyhauler has a GVWR of 17k you are in 350/3500 dually weights with that RV.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 06:40 PM   #12
Theoldroaddog

As Travelin Texan has stated, you would be in the 1 ton dually range. On top of that, take the GVWR of the truck and then the GVWR of the trailer will give you the GCVWR. Should they be over 26001 pounds in some states like Texas and California and a bunch of others you will need to upgrade your drivers license to a non commercial class A license. Just be aware before you purchase.
Theoldroaddog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #13
Kzneft

I have a 2018 Carbon 349. Absolutely love it ! Mine is a open garage type, which it looks like now they don't make. Mine is 36' long. In looking at the 2020's they all seem to have garages now, which if you want to put in a 4 seat Rzr you have to get a 40'+ one to get a big enough garage. I can get my Rzr 4 seater in mine with lots of extra room. I thought 36' was long enough, plus mine is a tandem axle. I didn't want a triple-tandem one. I sure see lots of triple-tandems for sale.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 08:38 PM   #14
kjbrooks

We have a 2015 Fuzion 345 which was a new model that combined a couple separate things that 2 previous models had that was important to us, larger bathroom counter space and bedroom nightstand space on both sides of a north/south King bed. As to your want for living space when slided are in, I don't know about all the models, but that may be tough. Ours has an attached kitchen island that takes up the center area when slides are in, so you really only have access to one spot on the couch. What you want when slides are in is access to the bathroom and the bedroom. We can't store it at home, so when we bring it to the house to pack it for a trip, I have to park it on the street. This is where it's good to have the kitchen (refrigerator) slide on the curb (right) side so you don't have to extend slides into the street.
Spec's say ours is something like 38' 11" (not sure), but nose to tail, we are 40'. Garage is 12', 2500# capacity. On a long trip we had a golf cart and a Harley Road King in the back, probably 50 gal. of fresh water, not quite that much in beer, weighed it at upper 16k, 28xx on the pin. And we do have a generator and the rear patio/awning setup,....didn't think I needed that, but it's nice when your backed up to a lake or creek.
I hope this helps and gives you a couple things to think about. Good luck.
Old 02-03-2020, 05:15 AM   #15
chunker

I have decided on and ordered a Raptor 356. No idea of delivery as the order was placed Saturday and nothing happens on a weekend. Will know more and maybe some specifics this week. Thanks for all the comments.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:31 AM   #16
kjbrooks

Oh.... then ignor my last post.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:37 AM   #17
chunker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrooks View Post
Oh.... then ignor my last post.
Your post was relevant and appreciated. Others may benefit from the information. I also didn't want the patio system since my garage will be a garage. I have lawn chairs for sitting by that lake or stream and just don't see the desire for the patio for our use. Thanks
Old 02-08-2020, 05:45 PM   #18
jaxglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjbrooks View Post
We have a 2015 Fuzion 345 which was a new model that combined a couple separate things that 2 previous models had that was important to us, larger bathroom counter space and bedroom nightstand space on both sides of a north/south King bed. As to your want for living space when slided are in, I don't know about all the models, but that may be tough. Ours has an attached kitchen island that takes up the center area when slides are in, so you really only have access to one spot on the couch. What you want when slides are in is access to the bathroom and the bedroom. We can't store it at home, so when we bring it to the house to pack it for a trip, I have to park it on the street. This is where it's good to have the kitchen (refrigerator) slide on the curb (right) side so you don't have to extend slides into the street.
Spec's say ours is something like 38' 11" (not sure), but nose to tail, we are 40'. Garage is 12', 2500# capacity. On a long trip we had a golf cart and a Harley Road King in the back, probably 50 gal. of fresh water, not quite that much in beer, weighed it at upper 16k, 28xx on the pin. And we do have a generator and the rear patio/awning setup,....didn't think I needed that, but it's nice when your backed up to a lake or creek.
I hope this helps and gives you a couple things to think about. Good luck.

Do you have a pic of the golf cart and bike in the back? I am just starting my research and have a golf caste and road glide to pack in. Thanks
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2020, 06:31 PM   #19
kjbrooks

You won't have a problem. Our cart is not lifted, but has aftermarket tires and wheels which adds a little width
It's probably close to 48" wide. I normally put the cart in first. I have the patio system connected to the side, so that cuts off a couple inches when I pull ut in, I get close to the wall, and when in, it sits right at the center tie downs in the rear, further from the center point in the front. That gives you 4' wide to pull in the bike. I'm sure my higher bars on my Road King is as wide as the Road Glide front. I wouldn't have I problem pulling in an Ultra.if you have the patio system attached, that cuts off a couple inches, but that's just right at the rear, and the cart is already forward of that. You can put the bike in first too, personal preference or what you need out at the time.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:05 AM   #20
jaxglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxglide View Post
Do you have a pic of the golf cart and bike in the back? I am just starting my research and have a golf caste and road glide to pack in. Thanks

Thanks. Appreciate the info
jaxglide is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, keystone, quality, toy hauler