Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
mikz86ta

Fuzion Outside Skin?

What is the 2016 Fuzions outter skin made from? I was under the impression it's fiberglass like material and gel-cote like a boat.
Ours is a base color gray that doesn't seem to be paint. But there is glossy metallic black paint on top. As well as flat black decals, 3D Chrome and Fuzion decals, and also some blue decals.
The base gray is fading....the rear garage side entry door also is having decal shrinking issues...and just noticed some weird small crack/peel spots in the gray near the front awning mounting area....about 4-5" away from where the awning arm mounts to the side.

1. Has anyone any info on this cracking?
Try to post up a pic later

2. What's the best way to reshine this materials gray color?
Largely depends on what it is I guess.
Regular wash and wax works on the black obvious painted surface.
The baggage door gray also has water stains in the faded gray.

Appreciate it
mikz86ta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:38 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

According to the 2016 FUZION brochure, the exterior walls are: "Aluminum framed, fully laminated fiberglass sidewalls" that means they are FILON. I'd suspect that the color is "molded into the FILON and the entire sheeting (before placement of decals or paint) is covered with a type of gelcoat. I'd also suspect that the cracking/grazing you see in the form of "tiny spider cracks" are a result of the sun damage from exposure to the hot Florida sun. There are a lot of "home remedies" that have been tried, everything from "rehydration of the fiberglass" (Aerospace 303, etc) to PolyGlo, a topical sealant very similar to the old "mop and glo" liquid floor wax. There was an optional "full body paint" available, I'd suspect that from your description, your trailer was not produced with that option.

There are several threads, probably a hundred or more, that discuss how to restore a faded front cap, faded/cracked decals and faded, sun damaged FILON sheeting. I don't believe I've ever seen a post that says, "My FILON was damaged and this is the easy way to make it look new again" (at least not one that wasn't followed up with a future post that said, "Oops, that didn't work beyond 3 or 4 months")....

You can download or view the brochure here: https://www.keystonerv.com/media/2277/fuzion-2016.pdf

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 11:43 AM   #3
mikz86ta

Ahh, Filon....so that's what it's called. Thanks.

And yes, not full body paint option. Just the gloss black is paint.
Old 01-07-2020, 03:27 PM   #4
mikz86ta

Attached a pic.

It's like this from upper portion to about Midway down the side. Even under the decals and gloss black painted area.
I don't see this going on anywhere else on the RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200107_172248745.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	24817  
Old 01-09-2020, 10:41 AM   #5
jimthemosaicguy

Hi - I also have a 2016 Fuzion (416) same problem on the side exposed to sun. Now I haven’t waxed it like the manual says so I am part to blame and it was exposed to intense Texas sun most of the day. Unfortunately, I haven’t found an answer but have been watching a lot of YouTube videos about how to remove oxidation and restore the finish with Buffing, waxing and polishing (or is it polish then wax). I’m goint to try a small area b4 I buy a buffer.

Totally unrelated to topic - If you have had a problem with the furnace not working when temps drop really fast it’s probably because of the way the Incommand system was wired (by design) after a yr of freezing temps I figured out a space heater close to the thermostat helped slow the temp drop. No problem since. No idea whether there is a way to modify the system to correct the issue.

I had one of the first 2016 models. Didn’t learn until after I bought it that it was considered a “pre-2016” I guess to test it. The kicker is it was wired for the Incommand but didn’t actually come with the system also didn’t come with the backup camera. The keystone customer service Dept (ha-ha) wouldn’t add either one.
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 05:57 AM   #6
mikz86ta

Right on. Sucks but glad I am not the only one.
I was going to try the Meguiars Marine product. I already own a buffer. I'd assume that doing the painted part with a different polish and wax is appropriate.
The small cuts as pictured are a bit more concerning to me than discoloration.

I have not been in low temps with ours. Maybe 40's. So never had much of an issue with the furnace heat or rear AC heat strip. We also don't have the iNCommand. Standard switch panel, remote for awnings-slides-light only. And the heat is commanded from the Mach AC system thermostats.

Tags
fuzion