Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 03-25-2019, 05:53 AM   #1
Braysgrandpa

Backup camera

Hello all,
I am looking to get a backup camera for my 2018 Montana 340BH. There is a pre mounted bracket on the back and the literature says it is "pre wired." I want something that not only comes on in reverse, but also when I change lanes. Does such a thing exist? Any suggestions? Is it something I can install myself? Thanks!!
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 06:31 AM   #2
MarkEHansen

If the trailer is prepped for a camera, it's likely a Furrion brand. I've seen one report of someone purchasing a new Keystone trailer and found it was prepped for a different brand of camera (can't remember what that is now...).

On the top/back of the trailer, you'll see a mounting bracket. Behind that will be the power connection wire. This power should be available anytime the trailer running/marker lights are on.

As for the camera, there are two types: Backup and Observation. The back-up cameras are intended to be used only while backing up and as I understand it, don't provide a great view aft while driving. The observation cameras are intended to be used while driving and provide a better view aft.

Another difference between the two is the amount of angle adjustment. As I understand it, the back-up cameras point more down, while the observation cameras point more up.

I purchased an observation camera and it does a reasonable job. It is wireless, which means you install it in the existing mount and plug into the provided power wire (all of which takes about 5 minutes) and then mount the observation display in the cab and plug into 12 power. Very easy setup.

The camera I purchased was the Furrion FOS48TAPK-BL rear view observation camera with bracket (the one with the bracket was about $50 cheaper than the one without the bracket - go figure). However, It think that camera is no longer available and there is a newer model.

I've heard that Furrion cameras are really expensive and don't work as well as some of the other brands out there (I heard this after I purchased mine) so it may pay to do some research on non-Furrion cameras.

Good luck.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:47 PM   #3
HitFactor
Gone Traveling

Please try using search, there are several recent threads on this topic. The answers to your questions are in those threads.
HitFactor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2019, 04:50 PM   #4
Braysgrandpa

I did and there are! Thanks! My decision has been made.
Braysgrandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:23 PM   #5
NorskeBob

Installed the Furrion observation camera on ours (per-mounted/wired). On our unit it is powered all of the time. Worked in the rain too.

RV - 2017 Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4
NorskeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2019, 12:29 PM   #6
MarkEHansen

Ours functions in the rain, but the lens gets obscured. I need to create a little wiping towel on the end of a stick so I don't have to climb up there
Old 03-31-2019, 05:21 AM   #7
Globe17

Ours is powered all the time too unless I pull a fuse in the fuse panel to shut it off. Have you looked to see where it is wired into? I am trying to find out so I can install a switch.
Globe17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 05:39 AM   #8
fatcatzzz

Mine is wired to the running lights.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2019, 07:22 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe17 View Post
Ours is powered all the time too unless I pull a fuse in the fuse panel to shut it off. Have you looked to see where it is wired into? I am trying to find out so I can install a switch.
When you pull that fuse, does anything else lose power? If it's only the rear camera or only the camera and "non-essential components" that lose power with that fuse, you can pull the wire connected to the fuse, add a length of wire to a switch and then from the other side of the switch back to the fuse terminal. It would be easy to install a switch "adjacent to the fuse panel" but if you wanted to route the switch to a different location, then running the wire to that location may prove difficult. With planning, it can be done, depending on where you want to install the switch. Keep us posted on your progress.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote