Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 05:33 AM   #1
jimthemosaicguy

Manual fold down steps

Was curious if anyone has tried the lippert solidstep or morryde stepabove? Pros/cons/preference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:27 AM   #2
fatcatzzz

We have the morryde stepabove 4 step. We like them. I added the optional hand rail. Very sturdy, no bounce. You do have to knock the dirt off before you fold them up, but no big deal. Some have questioned the room needed to fold them down at places like roadside rests, but we have had zero issues.
fatcatzzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:57 AM   #3
Racebug

I have the morryde and love how they feel and look. The big downside is that you need about 6-7 feet of room to open them just to get in the door. I cant get into my toy hauler while I have it stored. I have to hook up and pull it out just to get anything out. turns it into a PITA everytime one of the kids leave a movie or something inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_1355.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	13681  

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Racebug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM   #4
jimthemosaicguy

Sometimes if I have a lot of groceries I like the option of folding in the steps and just setting the bags on the floor instead of up and down the steps. BTW beautiful garage do you seriously back you Fuzion in it? (Jim bows head) I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy.

jimthemosaicguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #5
Racebug

Thank you, and yes I do back it in. not a straight shot either. Only bumped the wall once and didn't do any damage to the fuzion!

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Old 08-14-2017, 01:21 PM   #6
Dave W

I just spent some time looking at the MORryde, Lippert plus the Torklift versions of these replacement steps. It looks like the MORryde may be the strongest but a royal PITA to install with the Lippert right behind. That Torklift Glowstep installs in the same place as the OEM steps and appears to be the lightest as far as load carrying ability at 375 while the others are 500 and 400 pounds. For me, no problem weight wise for any of them. I'm not really enthused about the MORryde and Lippert method of stowing (and that's nothing to do with dirt and rain water) but the fact they fill the RV entry way when retracted and have some clearance issues with surrounding coach components plus can consume a pretty large patch of real estate during and while opened. I like the fact that when our 5er is in the driveway and has a pile of snow alongside, I can open the door and get in fairly easily by pulling a the existing steps out one 'notch' or by using a stool while the MORryde and Lippert steps would need to be unfolded. This makes a quick look or entry to get something on a snowy/zero day with your DW 'suggesting' that she needs that forgotten item ..... NOW......or sooner if possible

Of course, if weight carrying ability, entry access or real estate use was no problem - that MORryde would be the way but the Torklift Glowstep seems my best way if I spring for a set of new steps.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #7
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimthemosaicguy View Post
Was curious if anyone has tried the lippert solidstep or morryde stepabove? Pros/cons/preference.

Is there something I need to be aware of with the OEM steps that these will resolve?
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #8
CaptnJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert185 View Post
Is there something I need to be aware of with the OEM steps that these will resolve?
Granted the 4 steps that pull out are just a little heavy ~ I see no benefit to any of these. Now the 4 step aluminum unit may be a little lighter but the OEM steps are balanced well to go up/down easy enough for this old guy with a bad back.

2022.Montana 3855 BR
2019 F350 6.7 4X4 DRW
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:33 AM   #9
bsmith0404

I don't have the steps on mine, but love the ones we have at the dealership. Personal opinion, they don't take up much more space than the OE steps and are so easy to open and close I don't see an issue with it. I'm considering getting the Lippert step because I like the large landing top step that the Mor Ryde step does not have. The biggest thing is how much sturdier they are, it's like walking up a regular set of stairs. I told my dad he should get them for my mom.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:38 AM   #10
Desert185

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmith0404 View Post
I don't have the steps on mine, but love the ones we have at the dealership. Personal opinion, they don't take up much more space than the OE steps and are so easy to open and close I don't see an issue with it. I'm considering getting the Lippert step because I like the large landing top step that the Mor Ryde step does not have. The biggest thing is how much sturdier they are, it's like walking up a regular set of stairs. I told my dad he should get them for my mom.
We aren't there, yet, but will keep the easier ingress/egress in mind. I do have one of those wide, folding leg, RV stools that we put at the bottom of the steps when we boondock on uneven land. Sometimes that last step off is a long one.
-2014 Cougar 326SRX, Maxxis tires w/TPMS, wet bolts, two 6v batts.
-Four Wheel 8' Popup Camper.
Desert185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 AM   #11
Racebug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
I just spent some time looking at the MORryde, Lippert plus the Torklift versions of these replacement steps. It looks like the MORryde may be the strongest but a royal PITA to install with the Lippert right behind. That Torklift Glowstep installs in the same place as the OEM steps and appears to be the lightest as far as load carrying ability at 375 while the others are 500 and 400 pounds. For me, no problem weight wise for any of them. I'm not really enthused about the MORryde and Lippert method of stowing (and that's nothing to do with dirt and rain water) but the fact they fill the RV entry way when retracted and have some clearance issues with surrounding coach components plus can consume a pretty large patch of real estate during and while opened. I like the fact that when our 5er is in the driveway and has a pile of snow alongside, I can open the door and get in fairly easily by pulling a the existing steps out one 'notch' or by using a stool while the MORryde and Lippert steps would need to be unfolded. This makes a quick look or entry to get something on a snowy/zero day with your DW 'suggesting' that she needs that forgotten item ..... NOW......or sooner if possible

Of course, if weight carrying ability, entry access or real estate use was no problem - that MORryde would be the way but the Torklift Glowstep seems my best way if I spring for a set of new steps.

Not sure how they would be hard to install. Just a few screws is all I see. I have no idea what they cost or what the competition offers, but these are very light and sturdy. just like walking up a concrete staircase. I open/close our one handed all the time. The only drawback is the space needed to open them and the door is not usable with them stowed.

2017 Fuzion 417
2018 Ram 3500 Longhorn
Old 08-15-2017, 08:44 AM   #12
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racebug View Post
Not sure how they would be hard to install. Just a few screws is all I see. I have no idea what they cost or what the competition offers, but these are very light and sturdy. just like walking up a concrete staircase. I open/close our one handed all the time. The only drawback is the space needed to open them and the door is not usable with them stowed.
I guess you really didn't read what I said (and something we are all guilty of doing on occasion)
Old 08-28-2017, 06:36 AM   #13
jimnjoyce

I am following this. I have three steps on my SGS 28 Keystone Cougar now. I have a heck of a drop now on it with the trailer steps. Would or should I get a 4 step? I have bad knees.
jimnjoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:28 AM   #14
K_N_L

We have the MORryde on our 325 - in general when camping they are great - No bouncing and very stable. However as noted when traveling, you need a lot of space to drop them out if you are in a parking lot. Also as we sometime overnight at a truck stop, we would use the rear garage door for entry, the folded up steps block opening the cabinet door to the Jensen In-command panel (not a fault of the steps but more on the placement of the display unit).

Kevin -n- Lisa
17 Fuzion 325 / 15 Chevy 3500 HC DRW
06 HD Ultra Classic
K_N_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:58 PM   #15
Dave W

OK, after doing some more 'net wandering, have about made up my mind as to what I will be installing very soon - especially after my wife took a near tumble a couple days ago with only a couple bruises..

As said in earlier post, I really like the Tork Lift Glowstep Revolution idea/design. When seeing their demo video, now have some concern with the lateral strength of these steps. Their demo showed them being unfolded and the demo guy kinda horsing them sideways. He then went up the steps and there seemed to be a fair amount of individual step deflection. Then of course, there's that 200 plus buck difference between the$350 MORryde and Lippert steps vs the $590 Tork Lift.

The MORryde and Lippert are the drawbridge type. They are virtually copies in general design and function but the Lippert has a wider, like a landing, top step and when retracted, gives a little more clearance between the screen and the step which then means that the Camco push bar and screen protector can stay in place. Not sure about the MORryde yet but will be doing more checking before I fully commit but that Lippert product looks real good for a very few more dollars then the MORryde's
Old 09-21-2017, 11:50 AM   #16
Dave W

After my wife did a less then graceful dance while exiting the 5er last week, I pushed the 'BUY' button for the Lippert Solid Dteps. They arrived a few minutes ago via UPS --- and have to say that their name is correct and that they are SOLID built and according to the UPS delivery lady, heavy. I'll install them over the weekend and report back. I still like the Glowstep idea but at 200 bucks more for them plus pricey add ons if desired for $150 hand rails and $75 plastic risers, no longer competitive.
Old 09-24-2017, 12:30 PM   #17
Dave W

Installed the new steps - probably took longer to assemble the tools then install the steps (<15 minutes)

They are extremely sturdy*, a bit heavier then expected and best of all, my wife 'loves' them. The two dogs were a bit hesitant at first but race up them like stick and brick stairs now. The top step being 50% wider is perfect.

I will have to modify the screen guard and add anti rattle pads as there is a little too much clearance between the door frame and the latches.

The steps are their Gen 2 version, that is, solid sides rather then partially open weldments shown on their website and in the various ads.
Old 05-27-2018, 01:11 PM   #18
amsoiltek

My son and I just installed the Lippert Quad SolidStep Gen III on our 2008 Cougar 289BHS and I think it took longer to read the instructions than installing it, 10 wood screws and we were done. Our OEM steps had so much bounce and plus the bracket was starting to crack. Wife says this is another great mod to the trailer, plus the dogs love it too! The only mod I will have to do is trim the bottom of the screen door because it binds on the new threshold.
2019 Cougar 362RKS
amsoiltek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 02:50 AM   #19
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoiltek View Post
My son and I just installed the Lippert Quad SolidStep Gen III on our 2008 Cougar 289BHS and I think it took longer to read the instructions than installing it, 10 wood screws and we were done. Our OEM steps had so much bounce and plus the bracket was starting to crack. Wife says this is another great mod to the trailer, plus the dogs love it too! The only mod I will have to do is trim the bottom of the screen door because it binds on the new threshold.

Now add the Stromberg-Carlson longer grab bar and the job will be perfect

https://www.amazon.com/Stromberg-Car.../dp/B0719PT8N1
Old 05-28-2018, 11:43 AM   #20
planesnut

I replaced both sets of steps on my 2011 Bullet with the Torklift Glowstep (3 step units). Best upgrade I've made so far. Added a folding handle to the front door to assist my best friend getting in and out. Money well spent! They fold into the original space without adding any holes and are easy to use. Just remember once you get them in position, make sure you put the lock pin in the height adjuster.