Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Modifications and Upgrades
Click Here to Login

Old 04-14-2018, 06:54 AM   #21
vampress_me

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I left my old vent cover in place until the flapper finally broke, installed the new square one last year. I'm not convinced that when washing the trailer (ours is on the back trailer wall, so it stays dirty from road grime) the water from the hose and soap/water from the scrub brush can easily enter the trailer back wall.
So a question based off this. Even if the flapper piece breaks, do you think we have to install the square flat grid one that came with the fan? I also left the original plastic hood and flapper in place because I didn’t like the look of the grid one that came with the fan and didn’t feel like making more work for myself with something I didn’t like the look of. My thought is that even if said flapper breaks (or mysteriously flies off like one already while driving- oops!), I can still leave the plastic hood on and it won’t be any different than the grid one? The fan itself still has the interior sliding gate cover that you are supposed to open when using the fan, so would the outside piece really make a difference?

And Dave, I’m so glad you like it and the wife is happy! Yay!

2019 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB DRW, not the mom taxi anymore...
2021 Alliance Paradigm 340RL
2016 F-350 diesel 4x4 CC LB SRW, mom taxi - sold
2014 Cougar XLite 28RDB - sold
vampress_me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:17 AM   #22
JRTJH
Site Team

Lynette,

I wouldn't characterize the installation of the new vent as "buyer's remorse" but maybe more a case of "installer's regret".... That said, looking back at it, I probably should have done as you did, and when the flapper broke, just left it all alone. That way, there would have been "more of a cover" over the opening. But, I removed that one and installed the "open grid" cover. Since then, every time I wash the trailer, I think to myself, "I shouldn't have done this"... So far, I haven't taken the time to order (or go buy) an old style vent cover, but the thought has crossed my mind EVERY time I wash the trailer.... Will I pull that open grid thing off the trailer? Probably, this summer, if it ever gets here will be the "test of one last wash with the open vent"......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 07:41 AM   #23
RETAFCHIEF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
Jim, I have quite possibly spent more time in Maine then some natives. Started RVing there about 1972, spending at least a month, sometimes more every summer. I would leave the family in the p'up or, eventually, a Kounty Aire 5er and commute the 315 miles each way every Monday and Friday. Then there are those two plus years working in Biddeford, living in Portland while building and starting up a garbage burning power plant.

Unfortunately we will probably never make it to Alaska, with your part of the world (last year, LV and Boulder City) being about as far as we will get. My wife's back problem just wont take day after day sitting in the truck's passenger seat. We will just have to make do with Maine sea scallops
My Alaska experience was the end of the Aleutian Islands (Shemya) for a year-long unaccompanied tour (85-86). The all-expenses trip was compliments of the USAF and a gourmet meal was powdered milk and two-year-old gray meat. I think I prefer Lobster. A Marylander by birth means Blue Crab is deep in by veins. I would love to trailer the East Coast just for the food.
RETAFCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 08:57 AM   #24
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Lynette,

I wouldn't characterize the installation of the new vent as "buyer's remorse" but maybe more a case of "installer's regret".... That said, looking back at it, I probably should have done as you did, and when the flapper broke, just left it all alone. That way, there would have been "more of a cover" over the opening. But, I removed that one and installed the "open grid" cover. Since then, every time I wash the trailer, I think to myself, "I shouldn't have done this"... So far, I haven't taken the time to order (or go buy) an old style vent cover, but the thought has crossed my mind EVERY time I wash the trailer.... Will I pull that open grid thing off the trailer? Probably, this summer, if it ever gets here will be the "test of one last wash with the open vent"......
If the wife is happy, all is good.

If you or Lynette have a problem with a flapper, etrailer sell just that replacement piece. Ours broke and I J-B welded a piece of metal rod on the flap (2015) and it's still in place. Yes, I AM a certified J-B Welder plus actually was a certified navy stick welder way years back

Quote:
Originally Posted by RETAFCHIEF View Post
My Alaska experience was the end of the Aleutian Islands (Shemya) for a year-long unaccompanied tour (85-86). The all-expenses trip was compliments of the USAF and a gourmet meal was powdered milk and two-year-old gray meat. I think I prefer Lobster. A Marylander by birth means Blue Crab is deep in by veins. I would love to trailer the East Coast just for the food.
Like said, will probably never get to Alaska. Uncle Sam didn't let me get far from home in my couple years of service but one of those years was spent on the East Coast in MA plus I have workrd a couple years in Maine plus have literally hundreds of vacation days there. There isn't much that beats a lobstah (correct spelling in Maine) that was wandering the ocean floor the day before or a scallop or shrimp that was next to him. And yes, I do like blue crabs but lobstah to me is best. And that gray stuff the military calls meat, it was left over from the Korean War in the '60s when I was in the army - bleeeeh.

If you ever do the East Coast - CT and North even into Canada, late August into September is always great since the tourist season is winding down and you can really enjoy the sights and food.
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 09:40 AM   #25
RETAFCHIEF

Quote:
If the wife is happy, all is good.

If you or Lynette have a problem with a flapper, etrailer sell just that replacement piece. Ours broke and I J-B welded a piece of metal rod on the flap (2015) and it's still in place. Yes, I AM a certified J-B Welder plus actually was a certified navy stick welder way years back

Like said, will probably never get to Alaska. Uncle Sam didn't let me get far from home in my couple years of service but one of those years was spent on the East Coast in MA plus I have workrd a couple years in Maine plus have literally hundreds of vacation days there. There isn't much that beats a lobstah (correct spelling in Maine) that was wandering the ocean floor the day before or a scallop or shrimp that was next to him. And yes, I do like blue crabs but lobstah to me is best. And that gray stuff the military calls meat, it was left over from the Korean War in the '60s when I was in the army - bleeeeh.

If you ever do the East Coast - CT and North even into Canada, late August into September is always great since the tourist season is winding down and you can really enjoy the sights and food.
I was stationed at Cambridge Research Labs in Bedford, Mass from 67 to 71 and was able to sample Lobster quite a bit. It went back in 2014 to Rockport and had more after my MD high school 50th reunion. In 67 the locals hated the military and made sure we knew it. It wasn't a pleasant time. I would like to camp around the Freedom Trail in the fall and avoid the cities. Concord and Lexington are great places to visit.
RETAFCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 10:43 AM   #26
madmaxmutt

I had this vent type installed where there was none from the factory. The flap inside seems more durable than the standard RV vent flap.

Click image for larger version

Name:	New Range Vent.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	69.8 KB
ID:	16026

Before
Click image for larger version

Name:	No vent before.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	16027
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 12:47 PM   #27
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmaxmutt View Post
I had this vent type installed where there was none from the factory. The flap inside seems more durable than the standard RV vent flap.

I believe that's a Heng's J116-BK - which from what I've read are too restrictive for the Fabulous Fan hood upgrade. I looked at it as an alternate to what was supplied. Probably work well with the original fan though
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2018, 04:33 PM   #28
madmaxmutt

Quote:
I believe that's a Heng's J116-BK - which from what I've read are too restrictive for the Fabulous Fan hood upgrade. I looked at it as an alternate to what was supplied. Probably work well with the original fan though
It's a different brand, but similar in design (and possibly from the same Chinese factory).

I doubt you would ever notice a difference. It is a pretty immediate exit to outside. It would just be a high pressure stream outside.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mod, mods