Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2020, 04:06 PM   #1
Kzetzer

Winegard connect - wires missing

2020 Keystone Avalanche. There is a Winegard 360+ already installed on the roof and inside the unit there is the Winegard connect. The Winegard Connect is the spot which all wires are for the preinstalled 4gwifi. Per instructions, I removed screws and pulled off the plate to install my GW1000 router. The only wire I can find is red and white. There’s supposed to be a black power line, as well as a red, green and yellow wire coming from the winegard 360 antenna that’s already on the roof. The hole in the ceiling for these wires to come through is 1”. How am I supposed to find the power wire and other missing wires to install the router?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	097329E2-4687-4BC3-A62A-A25AB616F68A.jpg
Views:	954
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	30155  
Kzetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:24 PM   #2
ChuckS

If in fact the Winegard gateway cables were actually installed on the base of the antenna about the only thing you could do short of removing the Air 360+ is buy a cheap bore scope from harbor freight and take a peek thru that hole...

I’d bet the cables aren’t there ... sounds like step #12 in the install manual wasnt followed at the factory
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	FABA0FD6-39E6-41C5-A57E-700EA7F0AFFF.jpg
Views:	879
Size:	258.4 KB
ID:	30156  

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 04:41 PM   #3
Kzetzer

I will pick one up tomorrow! Where did you get that step by step direction manual? I’d be interested in seeing that! Thank you for the advice!
Kzetzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 06:43 PM   #4
ChuckS

Couple of files that may be of help for you....
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2452440.pdf (811.6 KB, 957 views)
File Type: pdf 2452438.pdf (694.3 KB, 892 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 04:21 AM   #5
jxnbbl

I just ran into a similar situation last night. I took off the interior "cap". Zipped tied to the cap was what I believe it the 12V power wire (GREEN / WHITE wire). But the 3 other wires were nowhere to be found. I fished around in the hole and found them taped some cable wire!

I'm now looking at to answer 2 questions on this install:

1. +/- for the 12V wiring - I found the following link which I believe answers my question:

https://www.keystonerv.com/media/914...eystone-rv.pdf

Green = + and White = -

Interested in any recommendations in splicing.

2. In step 2 of the manual there is an arrow that implies that the gateway/router has to be oriented in a certain was (arrow says - from or RV) If I use this orientation, given the location of the hole in the ceiling the unit will interfere with a cabinet door opening. Rotating it 90 degrees solves the problem. Is this just a "suggestion"?
jxnbbl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:24 AM   #6
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post
I just ran into a similar situation last night. I took off the interior "cap". Zipped tied to the cap was what I believe it the 12V power wire (GREEN / WHITE wire). But the 3 other wires were nowhere to be found. I fished around in the hole and found them taped some cable wire!

1. +/- for the 12V wiring - I found the following link which I believe answers my question:

Green = + and White = -

2. In step 2 of the manual there is an arrow that implies that the gateway/router has to be oriented in a certain was (arrow says - from or RV) If I use this orientation, given the location of the hole in the ceiling the unit will interfere with a cabinet door opening. Rotating it 90 degrees solves the problem. Is this just a "suggestion"?
As I thought....

Winegard support sent me the following :

"It is not required to orient the system in a specific direction during install."
Old 11-04-2020, 06:47 AM   #7
Kruzinaz

So , you guys are close to my issue maybe you have some advice? My 2018 Fuzion 427 has the Winegard ConnecT in it. However no power light. Where would that wire come from? I checked all of the 12 volt fuses, all good. Since that is an accessory maybe the power is more directly from the battery ? The wires are red and a black one. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	W ConnecT.jpg
Views:	617
Size:	357.9 KB
ID:	30637  
2013 Razor 900 Jagged X
Mesa AZ Home, Full time RV, Almost retired !
Kruzinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2020, 07:07 AM   #8
jxnbbl

If you look at this link it indicates the wire color to various circuits (in my case green/white)

I would turn on all the interior circuits to see if that activates the power for the attached wires and then turn off one by one. Hopefully it isn't something like the exterior lights!
Old 11-04-2020, 07:56 AM   #9
Kruzinaz

Good idea , Thanks
2013 Razor 900 Jagged X
Old 11-04-2020, 08:52 AM   #10
ewbldavis

Here is 2017 in case it's different:
https://www.keystonerv.com/media/915...w-wire-doc.pdf

Thanks for posting jxn - very good info!

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 07:28 AM   #11
hitchikerman

reviews on this setup

OK I think this is what I want to do but how is this working out after the install...is it worth spending $300.00 on the router?
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2020, 08:08 AM   #12
Kruzinaz

I found the issue. The wire was disconnected right behind it. Up and working now.
2013 Razor 900 Jagged X
Old 11-08-2020, 04:06 PM   #13
glendar10

360router

Router work real good but I can’t say y to gat about the 360 tv part when u took the connection from behind the tv there was nothing but one coax no light as that is in the wet bay. I thougg they needed to put a differen plate there with a button and led. Single sucks on tv but if you buy time wit the internet is good but cost. It does help with the campground single tho. If I was a betting man I bet dealer never connect the 360 to the key system like they forgot to put all the premier solar otg.
glendar10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2020, 04:37 PM   #14
jxnbbl

Very Happy with purchase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruzinaz View Post
I found the issue. The wire was disconnected right behind it. Up and working now.

Excellent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
OK I think this is what I want to do but how is this working out after the install...is it worth spending $300.00 on the router?

So I wavered a bit on the purchase as I was thinking you could just get another more portable cell device. But we just spent 2 weeks on the road and I needed to checkin at work. We ended up using all the features. For 2 of the campgrounds I connected to the 'free wifi'. What I found was the direct connection to my laptop was terrible. Through the gateway was very reliable, I take it that the signal was boosted by the antenna. For 2 of the other campgrounds, wifi wasn't available and I was able to work reliably using the cellular connection. I just bought the Winegard dataplan since but will investigate another provider next year.

Last week, just before I washed and winterized and put in storage...we lost electricity (internet/router) and I was in the middle of something at work. I just went to my cellphone - changed the connection on the gateway to cellular (in the driveway) and finished up my work.

The only "problem" (not a real problem) that I seemed to have with it is that I forgot that it was my preferred connection on my laptop and our cell phones and these devices kept connecting to the gateway when we returned home - and I had disconnected the device to not use up gb.

Very happy with this purchase.
Old 11-10-2020, 03:34 PM   #15
ewbldavis

Again JXN, great info. I started a thread looking for real-world feedback a couple months ago.

We've been on the fence with the $300 router...but your feedback with actual usage is most useful as we decide what to do in spring.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2020, 04:56 AM   #16
jxnbbl

More than welcome. Due to the reliability I will probably take longer trips and work 50% of the time on the road.
2023 Ram 3500 6.7L diesel, 3.73 ratio
Old 11-12-2020, 01:25 PM   #17
JohnnyTexas

Quote:
Originally Posted by jxnbbl View Post

Green = + and White = -

I am having the same issue. It look like the green/white wires are for the ceiling lights which means I'd have to have the ceiling lights on in order for the router to work, correct? Trying to avoid that if possible. Thoughts? How did you get your hooked up?
JohnnyTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 04:19 AM   #18
jxnbbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyTexas View Post
I am having the same issue. It look like the green/white wires are for the ceiling lights which means I'd have to have the ceiling lights on in order for the router to work, correct? Trying to avoid that if possible. Thoughts? How did you get your hooked up?

The green/white wire coding is for interior 12V circuits. So it is probably used for the lights. In my case, I do not need the light switch on.

However, for the Bullet (273bhs) the light switch does not control all the lighting, only the lighting in the main ceiling. I believe, other lights in the bedroom, bunk room are activated with the push switch built into the light.

First I say I believe as we have only used the trailer for one trip and it is in storage....and I believe we left the bedroom light on by mistake one night in our driveway where other lighting was off.

The bottom line is that where it might share one circuit with ceiling lights it is not the one switched off/on at the trailer door.
Old 11-16-2020, 01:57 PM   #19
hitchikerman

one more question

So I got a good idea to power this up but one more question is what is the ethernet connection for?
hitchikerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2020, 03:06 PM   #20
jxnbbl

Television?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitchikerman View Post
So I got a good idea to power this up but one more question is what is the ethernet connection for?
I saw this and researched it a bit...although I don't use it. I believe it is just like any any other router. You can just plug in the ethernet cord to any device and 'hard wire' to the network. The gateway directions were skimpy on what it was for, but I found it somewhere searching the internet. It was recommended as the primary connection for a smart TV, but of course most smart TV's can not use wireless, etc. (which I utilized).