Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #1
Randallf

Residential fridge

I’m sure everyone’s having a great day. I have an update on my residential fridge in my 2017 sprinter from Keystone. After the service man arrived told me that my evaporator cover was toasted also the cooling sensor was bad. However, this was not under warranty and it had to be replaced and I was so disappointed that Samsung did not cover any of my cost the refrigerator was useless without repairing this. So those with the Samsung residential fridge be prepared after 2 to 3 years this could happen to you I highly recommend getting extended warranty on your RV so that this will be covered.My total price for the repair And come
To my home was almost $500.00
Also they had to order the parts which took 10 days so Plan accordingly thank you
Randallf
2017 Sprinter
2016 Silverado 4x4 2500 short bed
Randallf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 05:11 PM   #2
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randallf View Post
I’m sure everyone’s having a great day. I have an update on my residential fridge in my 2017 sprinter from Keystone. After the service man arrived told me that my evaporator cover was toasted also the cooling sensor was bad. However, this was not under warranty and it had to be replaced and I was so disappointed that Samsung did not cover any of my cost the refrigerator was useless without repairing this. So those with the Samsung residential fridge be prepared after 2 to 3 years this could happen to you I highly recommend getting extended warranty on your RV so that this will be covered.My total price for the repair And come
To my home was almost $500.00
Also they had to order the parts which took 10 days so Plan accordingly thank you
Randallf
2017 Sprinter
2016 Silverado 4x4 2500 shot bed

I was told by a service repair guy a few months ago at someone else's home (you know, like the Sears repair man we used to see all the time, who does repairs on all major brands), that Samsung is one of the worst residential refrigerators on the fridge market these days. Lots of problems early on apparently.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:40 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-2020 View Post
I was told by a service repair guy a few months ago at someone else's home (you know, like the Sears repair man we used to see all the time, who does repairs on all major brands), that Samsung is one of the worst residential refrigerators on the fridge market these days. Lots of problems early on apparently.

Bill, not to be argumentative, but I did a lot of research on the Samsung res fridge for an RV. Other than all the tales of not getting it out of the RV (which aren't true - I measured) nearly everything else was positive. Realizing that the Samsung RV fridge is indeed a "residential" fridge, so must be serviced by "residential" folks, I asked around. It is one of the top rated res fridges out there, by their accounts and what I've read. Older models had ice maker issues but those have been sorted out. Talked to an appliance store owner that sold multiple brands and asked him. He said he had been selling/servicing fridges for over 20 years, when his died it would be a Samsung....... Then I bought a new one for the house!!!
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:12 PM   #4
Bill-2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
Bill, not to be argumentative, but I did a lot of research on the Samsung res fridge for an RV. Other than all the tales of not getting it out of the RV (which aren't true - I measured) nearly everything else was positive. Realizing that the Samsung RV fridge is indeed a "residential" fridge, so must be serviced by "residential" folks, I asked around. It is one of the top rated res fridges out there, by their accounts and what I've read. Older models had ice maker issues but those have been sorted out. Talked to an appliance store owner that sold multiple brands and asked him. He said he had been selling/servicing fridges for over 20 years, when his died it would be a Samsung....... Then I bought a new one for the house!!!
No argument - just two different points of view from two different professional individuals who work with them. Glad to hear you got your new one after that episode of coming home to the mess recently.

Are you saying that a model that Samsung produces for RVs is of "residential" size and operation, but just meant for an RV?

Ice maker issues.. yep. That was their problem, 5 times the factory sent someone out to repair it again and again under warranty. Problem was that it didn't fail frequently enough to call it a lemon and proceed with swapping it out for a new one. Our friends were glad they bought the extended warranty. It's been working so far for about 7 months now. Their fingers are crossed (I'm still waiting for my Whirlpool to crap out to justify/force a new one).

Tags
fridge