Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #1
Bob R

Key TV... the universal ongoing saga

First off, has anyone had thr Key TV system work the way it is supposed to operate? Just wondering.

My problem is the SAT connection. I am staying parked for another month so I figured I would hook up my brand new Dish system. Up until this time I have used the TVs with OTA and cable and it worked fine. Dish does not work through the Key TV system. I get a complete loss of signal screen.It isn't the system because I can run the cable from the antenna to the receiver through the slide and all is good. I pulled the panel for the Key TV and while 3 of the cables were not tight after tightening them nothing changed. I am only using the main TV in the living area.

Any ideas on where to go from here would be appreciated, if I can't get it fixed I will get it in for warranty work before the end of Jan.
Old 09-02-2020, 11:35 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I believe the Dish system works with the receiver to power the antenna mechanics that aim the receiver... If there is no "extra power cord" attached to the satellite dish system, then it receives its power through the coax table.

The KeyTV system can not power the satellite dish system, so there's no "power going to the satellite dish to aim it at the satellite....

At least that's the way I understand it.... in other words, if you use a separate coax (not going through the KeyTV box, it'll work just fine, but that box can not be used to power your satellite dish.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #3
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I believe the Dish system works with the receiver to power the antenna mechanics that aim the receiver... If there is no "extra power cord" attached to the satellite dish system, then it receives its power through the coax table.

The KeyTV system can not power the satellite dish system, so there's no "power going to the satellite dish to aim it at the satellite....

At least that's the way I understand it.... in other words, if you use a separate coax (not going through the KeyTV box, it'll work just fine, but that box can not be used to power your satellite dish.

That makes sense as that seems to be what is happening.

Thanks

bob
Old 09-02-2020, 01:02 PM   #4
JDDilly

Ours has worked well. However, we have only used it for cable and over the air.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 04:54 PM   #5
ChuckS

The dish portable antennas receive their 12 vdc via coax cable from receiver thru the KeyTV module... IF the KeyTV module is working properly it will pass the 12 Vdc from receiver to the portable antenna...

If you haven’t reviewed the KeyTV Troubleshooting guide take a look see at their hook up diagrams.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (1.73 MB, 355 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 05:09 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

We have had no issues with cable or OTA. Never tried it on satellite and don’t ever intend to.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab FX4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 08:19 PM   #7
Bob R

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The dish portable antennas receive their 12 vdc via coax cable from receiver thru the KeyTV module... IF the KeyTV module is working properly it will pass the 12 Vdc from receiver to the portable antenna...

If you haven’t reviewed the KeyTV Troubleshooting guide take a look see at their hook up diagrams.

Well, it looks like I will need to wring out the system, if I can get it fixed I would feel better about the whole thing. It can't be that hard.

bob
Old 09-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #8
tanglemoose

Wondering if you have any update on this issue, same problem here with our directtv. If I put coax thru kitchen window directly into receiver works fine... I have tried everything... wrote King Quest tech support and got these notes back..

You might want to ask for a wiring diagram to see how its wired. As the majority of the time there are AB switches and other thing in line for the KeyTV system to work.

Sorry to hear that. We have run into a few issue with the KeyTV setup. If there are splitter or other components inline it will not work. As you generally need it to be a direct connection to the receiver with coax cable or cable coupler and that’s it. Supposedly the KeyTV should have something like that for satellite TV.

Help Mail
KING
Simply better, by design.
kingconnect.com
tanglemoose is offline   Reply With Quote