Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-21-2020, 06:50 PM   #1
markcee

Propane in the A** Part II

We have been parked at a seasonal spot for a few weeks and use the trailer on weekends. We came to this site after a cross country trip from AZ to OH and now are now back in AZ. When we arrived here and setup a few weeks ago, I observed a faint propane odor around the LP tanks.....we have the two tanks with the 'auto changeover' regulator. I checked for leaks with leak detector but found nothing. I narrowed down the smell as coming from the left (passenger) side tank....I have two 30-gallon tanks. At the time I ended up shutting down the offending tank and that took care of the smell.

I decided to dig deeper into the issue upon arrival today. I figured I'd start out with a potential easy fix and decided to re-dope up the connection from the pigtail that runs from the regulator to the LP tank. Not knowing much, I loosened the fitting from the regulator. After I freed it, I noticed a small spring and plastic screen pop free and fall to the ground. I put some gas line pipe dope on the fitting, placed the spring in the opening on the end of the fitting and put the screen cap on top of that. I then tightened the fitting back into the regulator and secured the other end back onto the LP tank.

Here is where I ran into issues and what I am experiencing:

I no longer have any propane running to either the water heater or the stove inside the coach. I do have propane running to the outside kitchen at the back of the coach. I have a 3-burner stove in the OD kitchen and the flame seems to weaken and/or burnout if I run more than 1 burner. I noticed a loud expelling of Air? Gas?, not sure which, when I first turn these burners on. On the INDOOR stove, I hear nothing when the burners are turned to 'on'. If my water heater is set to gas only, I can hear the ignition give it a go for 3 attempts but that's it - I got a message to 'check water heater' on my InCommand after the 3 failed attempts. I ultimately switched to 'Electric Only' for the heater.

I'm thinking air in the lines? Or possibly, did I mess up and reinsert that spring and screen incorrectly??? A mobile tech I conferred with seems to think the regulator is hosed, but I just don't believe in coincidences....it seems like my mucking about triggered this problem. The stuff I've read online about bleeding your lines advises to turn the stove on and run a burner for a couple of minutes???? How are you supposed to do that if no gas is getting there?

Sorry for the long post, but figured more info is best. Thanks for any help you can provide this woeful newbie!
markcee is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane