Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2020, 02:47 PM   #1
notanlines

Inverter for refrigerator

Any chance anybody knows at least a tiny amount of troubleshooting a Magnum inverter for the fridge? I replaced the 2 6 volt batteries earlier this week and every other thing works fine. I know squat about the Magnum inverter system, including if it even HAS a fuse or two.
Thanks (yes, on the road now in Illinois)
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 02:55 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

Jim, this was my response to your other thread;

"Jim, what model is it?

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/magnum-owners-manuals"

If you are on the road you may not be able to determine that. My inverter is wired to the batteries via it's own power cables that go through it's own inline fuses as I recall (I would go out and verify at the moment but it is pouring). The inverter is wired into your batteries to provide the 12vdc input then converts to 120vac output for the fridge. Sounds like either a fuse was blown on the 12vdc input or a wire feeding it. If possible you can try to back trace the 12vdc input wires from the inverter (depending on where it is placed) and see the inline fusing or wiring. I am fairly sure that is where the problem will be.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2020, 03:17 PM   #3
sourdough
Site Team

Here is a link to a Magnum owner manual. I don't know if this is yours but the wiring should be similar between them all pretty much. Note page 21 indicates there should be a fuse in the positive lead between the battery bank and the inverter. I would check for 12vdc there first. Then there might be a reset or something on the unit. It does say they are not reverse polarity protected so if that happened the unit would be damaged and not covered under warranty.

https://www.magnum-dimensions.com/ms...-64-0007-rev-f

You will have to download (open) the file. It downloads onto my laptop and I can't attach it when it's open.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:26 PM   #4
notanlines

Double posting is what I get for trying to post on my phone and not keeping my head and butt wired together. I'll post more about this in the morning when we have wifi. Thanks.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 06-02-2020, 04:12 AM   #5
DMK

Everything else worked except fridge? Do other inverted outlets work?
There should be a catastrophic fuse wired inline on the pos side close to the battery. Size will depend on what size inverter and wire.

2013 Raptor 300 MP, MORryde 8K IS, Kodiak disc brakes, 940 watt solar system, 630 ah battery bank, Magnum 2000 watt pure sine wave inverter/charger, ME-ARC, ME-AGS, ME-BMK.

2005 Freightliner Century Class S/T, 14L 60 Series Detroit, 10 spd Ultrashift, w/3.73, Trailer Saver TSLB 3 bag hitch.
DMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 05:49 AM   #6
Camp CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
..................Any chance anybody knows at least a tiny amount of troubleshooting a Magnum inverter for the fridge?............ and every other thing works fine. I know squat about the Magnum inverter system, including if it even HAS a fuse or two..........
Ditto Sourdough.............the inverter has a fuse between the battery bank and inverter. I also have a switch between the batteries and inverter to turn it on/off. Mine powers the fridge, den tv,, one kitchen outlet and one bedroom outlet. That was a Montana factory installation with a solar panel. I use the inverter to run the fridge while towing. Consider a mobile rv technician to troubleshoot and restore inverter power to your fridge.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 07:56 AM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Jim advised me that he had the situation corrected.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:29 AM   #8
notanlines

Don't we all just hate to admit to being a dumb-azz? Discovered this AM when the inverter went totally dead that I had not tightened the ground cable at the top nut on the new battery/batteries post. Funny how I should have tied this in immediately to the new batteries.
When I walked back in the RV, DW said "Well, aren't you the smart one!" I had to admit that I was both the hero AND the villain.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
Old 08-16-2020, 07:05 AM   #9
flybouy
Site Team

Jim it happens to all of us if we admit it or not.

First camper with WDH. I would place the bars across the frame of the trailer. Hitching up put on bar on and a kid on a bike wrecked. Busted his mouth pretty good. DW (nurse) tended to him while I got ice and went to notify the parents. Took off and drove the ~150 miles home to find one bar still on the frame. I was impressed with how it stayed on but it scared the bejeezus out of me when I thought of what could have happened.

The very next year we bought our first camper with a slide out. It was an ultralight unit with a small slide out. Maiden voyage, hitched, set up all was well. Breaking down, I unplugged shore power, went inside, slide didn't work. Dug out the manual crank handle and strong armed the slide in, cursing FR and the dealer the whole time.

When to hitch up and trailer jack didn't work. Then the idiot light in my brain went off. I had been using everything either plugged into the truck or shore power. Yup, dealer didn't attach battery ground.

Two lessons learned. First, never trust the dealer, confirm EVERYTHING. Second, just like my pilot training, pre flight check list before moving. I have it committed memory but also have it written down. If I should be incapacitated the DW knows where it is. If I become distracted or otherwise not 100% (hurried or overly tired or hot etc.) than I'll break it out. If I feel embarrassed referring to my check list I just think back to what "could" have happened if the "heavy steel spear" would have called off that frame at 60+ m.p.h.

Live and learn.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 08:39 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Well fellows, I think ya'll are doing better than I am. I've GOT to have a list; in fact, lots of them. I'll tell DW I need to do this or that; she say's "go put it on the list" I head for the list and get to it (at least I remembered that far), stare at it a moment and then call to her..."what was I going to put on this list?", she says "I don't know....." I've about decided to put smaller lists placed enroute to the "big" list so I can jot it down before I forget it....but then I'm afraid I would lose the small lists.....sheeeez.
Old 08-16-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
flybouy
Site Team

Danny, I have Microsoft office on my computers and phone. One of the components of that is MS Notes. Create a note on any machine and it goes to all of them. One of things I use it for is making lists like me "pre flight" checklist. So it's always on my side and ready and I can add/alter if I'm on my tablet or computer.

I don't know what I don't know and now I don't know what I used to know!
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
inverter