Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 05-17-2020, 10:06 AM   #1
dkonrai

Springdale 189 6gallon to 10 gallon?

Anyone do this upgrade? Will it fit under the kitchen cab? O measured it and seems possible a bit tight but it seems it may work?
Tyia
dkonrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:08 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I believe you will have to cut out a bigger opening in the exterior skin. You may run into frame work that will hinder a clean install.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 10:23 AM   #3
dkonrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I believe you will have to cut out a bigger opening in the exterior skin. You may run into frame work that will hinder a clean install.
Yes, I figured some sheet metal work.
Just wondered if anyone tried this?
Old 05-17-2020, 12:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is little difference in the 10 gallon and the 6 gallon water heater. The recovery rate is the same for both (17.1 GMH) the only difference is the first hour of water at 60F rise is 21 gallons with the 10 gallon model and 17.1 gallons with the 6 gallon water heater. Four gallons of hot water doesn't go very far with a showerhead flow rate of 3 GPM...

There is significant difference in size of the two units, which would mean some substantial frame opening modifications to install a 10 gallon water heater in place of the current 6 gallon model.

Have you considered a "constant flow/demand water heather"??? You can buy one that fits your existing opening using the existing gas line and plumbing fittings. That option would provide you with "endless hot water" (at least until your propane tanks run dry) and would be substantially less work to switch out.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:23 PM   #5
travelin texans

1- Turn on both gas & electric on your 6 gallon for quicker recovery.
2- Add an Oxygenics shower head with the shut off.
3- Explain to all showering to turn off the shower head between lathering/rinse, don't leave the water running continuously & limit shower times.
4- Send the ones that must have a 30+ minute shower to the park bathhouse where there's unlimited hot water & no holding tank to worry about filling.
Total cost $50+/- for the shower head, labor time about 2 minutes.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 02:32 PM   #6
dkonrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
There is little difference in the 10 gallon and the 6 gallon water heater. The recovery rate is the same for both (17.1 GMH) the only difference is the first hour of water at 60F rise is 21 gallons with the 10 gallon model and 17.1 gallons with the 6 gallon water heater. Four gallons of hot water doesn't go very far with a showerhead flow rate of 3 GPM...

There is significant difference in size of the two units, which would mean some substantial frame opening modifications to install a 10 gallon water heater in place of the current 6 gallon model.

Have you considered a "constant flow/demand water heather"??? You can buy one that fits your existing opening using the existing gas line and plumbing fittings. That option would provide you with "endless hot water" (at least until your propane tanks run dry) and would be substantially less work to switch out.
They use alot of LP tho.
Units are a bit pricey?
Thought was 10 vs 6, 4 gallons is alot more water almost by 90 percent.
But I guess it's not worth the trouble.
Thanks for the input.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:33 PM   #7
dkonrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Turn on both gas & electric on your 6 gallon for quicker recovery.
I'm ordering a new element. The old one doesn't work, and when it does it trips the breaker. I get barley like warm water on electric only.
Old 05-17-2020, 02:59 PM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkonrai View Post
They use alot of LP tho.
Units are a bit pricey?
Thought was 10 vs 6, 4 gallons is alot more water almost by 90 percent.
But I guess it's not worth the trouble.
Thanks for the input.
I think the math of 6 out of 10 is 60%, so to get to 10 would be a 40% increase. Real world, I think the recommendations already given would reap larger benefits for the expense and time.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2020, 03:14 PM   #9
sourdough
Site Team

I agree with the above recommendations. I don't recall seeing a water heater that wasn't in a specifically built enclosure that would require a LOT of work to rebuild and who knows how many things impacted. Get both heat sources going and manage the water usage and you should be a lot better off.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 10:41 AM   #10
dkonrai

Update.
Element was gone. Running both, LP and electric water heater runs great!
Going to have a test run and see how it runs. So far after a flush and new element it shuts off in 10 or 15 minutes. Took 30 minutes before. Yay

Tags
springdale