Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Toy Haulers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-24-2020, 11:20 PM   #1
OldKingKibitzer

Factory Tank Flush vs Aftermarket back flush?

My Fuzion has a factory black tank flush- my sensors aren’t working (surprise!) and I was looking at the aftermarket back flushes that connect at the outlet of the pipe. (Like the Valterra Flush King)

Worth it or redundant? More effective compared to factory? Beneficial for rinsing gray tanks instead of just filing with dawn/water and driving?
OldKingKibitzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 03:07 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Redundant, not better than factory when the factory system is used properly. IMO you can’t heat hot water/Dawn ultra blue for the gray tanks.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:22 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

With the number of 90 degree turns in the typical black tank plumbing exit, there's very little chance of any "direct flushing stream" of water hitting the inside walls of the black tank. About the best you can expect with a "twist on flush device" at the end of the black tank discharge is the ability to add water to the tank, likely not even as effective at creating "turbulence" in the tank any better than pouring a 5 gallon pail of water down the toilet bowl.

The "in tank flush device" may not have a "jet stream/pressure washer" capacity to completely wash down the tank walls, but in almost all "multiple elbow plumbing systems" it's more effective than a terminal pressure washing fitting.

That said, repeatedly filling and emptying the tank will keep "removing brown", so filling and emptying the tank over and over will help clear the deposits. A word of caution, if you do use any "in tank rinse system" or "terminal discharge rinse system" be very cautious about filling the tank beyond capacity while under pressure. That's a great way to flood the entire trailer underbelly with the same thing you're trying so hard to remove from the confined tank. Once the tank bursts, you'll have a lot more issues than "a bucket of brown smelly liquid" to deal with !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:10 AM   #4
travelin texans

Totally agree with John, if there's even one 90 degree bend in the drain line that device is next to useless at rinsing with any pressure.
After 40+ years rving I learned early on don't spend too much time, worry or money on the tank sensors, they'll never be much more than pretty little red lights telling you absolutely nothing of any use.
Use factory flush, dump a few gallons of water with a good squirt of Dawn before traveling, use plenty of water per flush & NEVER EVER leave the black valve open when connected to a sewer dump.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 AM   #5
chunker

IF the toilet goes straight into the black tank you can get a wand type sprayer to help it along. Years ago I made one with PVC, holes drilled into the glued on end cap and attached to a hose. Won't work if the toilet angles into the tank. Also don't use one of those screw on non-adjustable "pressure restrictors", they cut the low too much to get good washing. I have a Valtera adjustable pressure regulator with a gauge so I know what the park is putting out in water pressure. If OK I go with a straight connection. If park pressure too high and I have it regulated down, I'll use that regulated pressure for the tank wash.
2019 Harley Davidson Heritage Classic 114 (the toy)
chunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tank