Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM   #1
gspman

warranty Question

My wife and i just bought a 2019 couger half ton 29RKS from a private party.
Love the camper, but found a small issue after getting it home.
Some of the LED Light strings in the node don't work. We live in WI and the camper was bought in IN. Dont believe that should matter, but dont intend to drive it to IN to be repaired.

So i believe this to be a solid warranty issue as the 5th wheel is less than a year old.

I have emailed some local rv centers to inquire about warranty work.

Needing advise, we are new to this game.

Best Regards
Scott
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
LHaven

RVs are driven all over the place in their first year. Problems crop up, and no one expects you to have to take it back to the selling dealer for warranty work. You should be able to get your warranty work done from any Keystone authorized dealer.
Old 08-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
RVs are driven all over the place in their first year. Problems crop up, and no one expects you to have to take it back to the selling dealer for warranty work. You should be able to get your warranty work done from any Keystone authorized dealer.
Unfortunately the RV industry isn’t like the automotive industry. RV dealers choose which lines they want to sell with the only restriction being geographic. RV dealers are NOT required to work on a unit that they didn’t sell and some don’t even do warranty work on units they do sell.

Warranty work doesn’t really keep a dealership open, the factory dictates time allowed and labor rate so many are reluctant to do any warranty work. My suggestion would be to ask the service mgr if they are accepting any new customers and if he/she says no, then just look for an independent shop that is authorized to do warranty work on your unit. If your handy, a lot of repairs can be easier and cheaper if you do them yourself. BTW, welcome to the forum!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 04:52 PM   #4
Roscommon48

emailed????? just call your local dealer who deals in keystone and see if you can get an appt.

your biggest problem will be getting your trailer into a dealer where you did not purchased it.

but, the warranty would still be valid.
Roscommon48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 05:38 PM   #5
Customer1

Are Keystone warranties transferable to the second owner? Many manufacturers only warrant the product to the original purchaser.
Old 08-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #6
gspman

all good questions. I guess i shall find out soon enough
gspman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 06:41 PM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

When in doubt, it's usually best to refer to the manufacturer's warranty guide.

This is what Keystone has to say about the warranty of their products:
"Transferability: This Limited Base Warranty may be transferred by the first retail purchaser to a subsequent retail purchaser; however, the Limited Base Warranty will in no way be extended beyond the one (1) year coverage period. For the second retail purchaser to receive the unexpired balance of the base warranty coverage as described above, after purchasing the RV you must go to our website at www.keystonerv.com and provide Keystone your VIN, name, address, phone, and email address (proof of purchase may be requested). You may also notify Keystone of the transfer by phone at (866) 425-4369 or by email at [email protected]."

If you don't have a Keystone Owner's Manual, you can download one at the Keystone site: https://www.keystonerv.com/owners/owners-manuals/

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 10:37 PM   #8
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
RV dealers are NOT required to work on a unit that they didn’t sell and some don’t even do warranty work on units they do sell
I guess I was lucky. My last rig was purchased in New England, driven to Florida, where I had wheel issues that were fixed under warranty; then we had another warranty issue fixed in Louisiana later on in our trip. Then again, the first problem was under Dexter Axle's warranty, so that may have lubed things a bit.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:26 AM   #9
chuckster57
Site Team

If your on the road traveling, any decent dealer should take care of a “safety” item. We do even if it’s not a brand we service.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty