Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2019, 07:21 AM   #1
rsaf

8 foot ladder

Has anybody ever strapped an 8 foot ladder to the ladder on the back or your fifth wheel. My ladder on my fifth wheel rather secure. Any ideas on this or is it a bad idea. Thank you for any advice
rsaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:26 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

I wouldn't, the ladder that you strap to it will bounce up and down as you travel down the highway. Ive seen lots of "stuff" strapped to roof ladders and wonder how the roof ladder is still attached to the trailer. Your choice but I would vote NO on this one

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 07:40 AM   #3
KSH

I think there is an 8'one as well. Just look around

https://www.amazon.com/GP-Logistics-.../dp/B009IJUL4O
KSH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I'm with Chuckster - don't. I've seen who knows what strapped to ladders but don't recall any of them looking rock solid and have seen some that really "wiggle". The RV ladder penetrates your outer wall and roof and many locations, the wiggling and bouncing will cause them to possibly loosen and leak. Some do it and say they have no issues but I wouldn't. I use a ladder like the one in the link above and it works fine.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:36 AM   #5
JRTJH
Site Team

I bought a telescoping 12' ladder. It's about the size of a small suitcase when ready to store and expands to a full 12' when in use. Easy to use, easy to stash in almost any available space, even behind the recliner or under the sofabed if you're really pressed for storage space.

I find that almost any aluminum tool (ladders are tools) that are left outside, exposed to everything from road grime to acid rain don't last long. Once corrosion starts, who knows if the ladder will support your weight or become a safety hazard. Take care of your ladder, don't leave it outside and it'll serve you well. Install it on your RV roof ladder and it will probably not only become a tool you're unsure of, but will also do its "darn level best" to shake the roof ladder off the back of your RV and help along any potential for leaks and roof damage with every tow.

Maybe a ladder similar to this type would better serve you????
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TELESCOPING LADDER.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	115.7 KB
ID:	23085  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2019, 09:42 AM   #6
travelin texans

There are several different telescopic or collapsible ladders they are easily stored without strapping to your flimsy RV ladder. Same goes if you have the flimsy sewer hose storage bumper, don't mount anything to it.
That was one of absolute ain't happening the DW had when we started full-time, I was "not to tie a bunch of crap to the ladder & look like the Beverly Hillbillies going down the road!".
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ladder