Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Keystone Questions
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 03:59 PM   #1
Jayster10

5th Wheel Winter Storage (Jacks down or up)

Hi all,

Looking for some advice on an old subject. I just got a new Raptor 351 and wondered if I should store my RV with the hydraulic jacks down or up? I’ve heard arguments for both but with old posts. Didn’t know if it has changed with the newer RVs.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Jay
Jayster10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:07 PM   #2
Tbos

Mine has been on the 6 point hydraulic jacks all winter. We won’t go again until the end of the June and it’s on the jacks now. It’s totally up to you. I do it so I can put my slides out at a moments notice if desired.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 05:47 PM   #3
Jayster10

Tom,

Thank you for the reply. I’m glad to hear you leave your jacks down. I was thinking I would just leave it in the auto level position. This is the first camper I have owned that has had hydraulic jacks so I really had no point of reference. My concern was that leaving the jacks under load would cause issues but the front jacks have to be down anyway. So I was conflicted. Do you recommend leaving the jacks extended to take wait off the tires or in the auto level position?

Jay
2018 Raptor 351
2018 F250
Old 05-29-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Brentw

I don't level mine due to my unlevel parking spot, but all 6 jacks are down to take some of the weight off the suspension and wheels. At some point before winter I wipe down the exposed rams with silicone spray. On that note, I would be hard pressed to find any rust on any farm equipment hydraulic rams left out year after year.
2008 Goldwing
Brentw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2019, 06:32 PM   #5
Jayster10

Brent,

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you. Farm and other heavy machinery don’t seem to have issues with hydraulics being left extended. I think I will leave mine down and take some of the weight off the wheels and suspension.

Jay
Old 05-30-2019, 06:08 PM   #6
Tbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayster10 View Post
Tom,

Thank you for the reply. I’m glad to hear you leave your jacks down. I was thinking I would just leave it in the auto level position. This is the first camper I have owned that has had hydraulic jacks so I really had no point of reference. My concern was that leaving the jacks under load would cause issues but the front jacks have to be down anyway. So I was conflicted. Do you recommend leaving the jacks extended to take wait off the tires or in the auto level position?

Jay
2018 Raptor 351
2018 F250

I leave it in the auto-level position most of the time.
Tbos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel, jacks, storage, winter