Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 04-21-2010, 12:15 PM   #1
riggsp

Tires?

Not sure if this is the place for tire questions, but I keep hearing about chinese tire problems (blowouts, etc.)...we have a 2009 Outback with Mission Radials (almost no miles...just a couple thousand)...does anyone know who makes them, has anyone had problems, is the warranty coverage any good...I'm not having problems, just wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy some different ones.
riggsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #2
ftwildernessguy

Any tire can blowout, no matter where it's made. I would think if it was a problem with Chinese tires, then everyone running these tires would have failure. I think a more critical problem is under or over inflation and overloading. Personally, I run Kenda tires on my motorscooter and have no safety issues with them.
ftwildernessguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:55 PM   #3
hankpage
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by riggsp View Post
Not sure if this is the place for tire questions, but I keep hearing about chinese tire problems (blowouts, etc.)...we have a 2009 Outback with Mission Radials (almost no miles...just a couple thousand)...does anyone know who makes them, has anyone had problems, is the warranty coverage any good...I'm not having problems, just wondering if I should bite the bullet and buy some different ones.
It does not matter who makes them, most ST trailer tires are now made in China. Even Goodyear Marathons were made there up until a few months ago. (They stopped making them there because of increased failures) Trailer manufacturers don't bother balancing tires and seem to me use the minimum load rating on their trailers. If you don't over load, balance wheels, inflate properly and keep your speed down you should be OK. ( ST tires are speed rated to 65mph max.) The Chinese tires that first came on my Cougar were recalled and Keystone replaced them with Chinese Marathons. I personally choose to upgrade to 16" E rated commercial speed rated tires. One tread separation can cause thousands of dollars damage to today's trailers.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hankpage View Post
It does not matter who makes them, most ST trailer tires are now made in China. Even Goodyear Marathons were made there up until a few months ago. (They stopped making them there because of increased failures) Trailer manufacturers don't bother balancing tires and seem to me use the minimum load rating on their trailers. If you don't over load, balance wheels, inflate properly and keep your speed down you should be OK. ( ST tires are speed rated to 65mph max.) The Chinese tires that first came on my Cougar were recalled and Keystone replaced them with Chinese Marathons. I personally choose to upgrade to 16" E rated commercial speed rated tires. One tread separation can cause thousands of dollars damage to today's trailers.
I cannot find the ST tire recall you refer to. What was the brand name?

To the best of my knowledge Keystone no longer uses the Mission brand tire. The switch is back to Marathons as they become available. Looks like the Power King is filling in the void while the North American Marathon GY plants get up to production quotas.

CWtheMan
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 03:00 AM   #5
hankpage
Site Team

CW, The tires that originally came on my trailer were not radials. They were replaced buy Keystone before I took possession of the unit under a recall of all 15" D rated bias ply tires used at that time. I'm not sure but I think they were Duro.
hankpage is offline   Reply With Quote