Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2018, 04:06 AM   #1
zippersbs

A.C./Microwave Problem

I just come across a weird situation in my 2008 Springdale 29 RLS TT, that I've never seen before. I blew the main breaker at the pole & when I reset the breaker everything but the microwave came back on. I checked all the breakers in the box & nothing was tripped, but when I switched the microwave breaker off the A.C. went off & now the A.C. breaker doesn't do nothing. I pulled the facing off the main panel & everything looks intact & nothing touching or loose. I unplugged the microwave & still the same issue, the microwave breaker controls the A.C., I can't swear that they weren't mismarked (A.C. & Microwave breakers) out of the factory, it wouldn't be the 1st time I've found something strange like that. Anyone had this issue or have a suggestion to go from here? Thanks, HAPPY 4TH TO ALL!!!
zippersbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:17 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

The breakers could be mis-labeled but I'm confused by " I switched the microwave breaker off the A.C. went off & now the A.C. breaker doesn't do nothing". Then "I unplugged the microwave & still the same issue, the microwave breaker controls the A.C." Does this mean the air conditioner now works? By A.C. I'm guessing you mean air conditioner and not alternating current. The microwaves in these campers are not top of the line and can be susceptible to low voltage and power surges. This where a good EMS (energy management system) can save your appliances. Just as an FYI anytime you lose power (including your sticks and bricks house) it's a good idea to turn everything off until power is restored. Then turn on appliances one at a time to avoid a huge surge in amp load.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:43 AM   #3
DVPete

Seems more likely that the two breakers have been mismarked all along and you just haven't noticed. It wouldn't be the first thing in these RVs that they labeled backwards.

I'd try plugging the microwave into a known good outlet to see if the microwave is shot. Also check the outlet for the microwave to see if it has power and which breaker controls that power. You can plug anything into that outlet to test it.
DVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 04:53 AM   #4
dwall

If everything works except the microwave and there is power on the microwave outlet then most likely the fuse inside the microwave is blown. The oven will probably have to be removed to get to it but don't buy a new one until the fuse is checked. I have seen many good microwaves thrown away over a $1 fuse. You can find a microwave fuse at your local hardware store.
dwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 05:09 AM   #5
zippersbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The breakers could be mis-labeled but I'm confused by " I switched the microwave breaker off the A.C. went off & now the A.C. breaker doesn't do nothing". Then "I unplugged the microwave & still the same issue, the microwave breaker controls the A.C." Does this mean the air conditioner now works? By A.C. I'm guessing you mean air conditioner and not alternating current. The microwaves in these campers are not top of the line and can be susceptible to low voltage and power surges. This where a good EMS (energy management system) can save your appliances. Just as an FYI anytime you lose power (including your sticks and bricks house) it's a good idea to turn everything off until power is restored. Then turn on appliances one at a time to avoid a huge surge in amp load.
You are correct, A.C. is air conditioner & I did power down everything before switching the breaker back on. I learned my lesson the hard way on a real expensive refrigerator in my house, electronics & electric surges don't mix very well.
Old 07-04-2018, 05:14 AM   #6
zippersbs

I will try all the suggestions everyone gave me. I'm trying to fix this problem using my phone, I'm kinda Leary on plugging in my laptop at this time. I do have an electric surge protector on the main line, but I don't think it's sensitive enough to protect electronics. Thank you all.
Old 07-04-2018, 06:52 AM   #7
14george

Check gfci outlet is tripped
Old 07-07-2018, 04:27 PM   #8
B-O-B'03

Quote:
Originally Posted by 14george View Post
Check gfci outlet is tripped
For my trailer the microwave and AC have their own, individual, breakers and both are 20 amp (the only 20 amp breakers in the panel)... things should work if they are swapped and the fix is easy if they are swapped.

I agree the microwave might not have liked the way power was removed or restored (either can create a surge) and checking for an internal fuse is definitely worthwhile.

Swapping the supply wires at the breakers is worthwhile too, if they turn out to be swapped.

-Brian
Old 07-07-2018, 05:50 PM   #9
DVPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-O-B'03 View Post
Swapping the supply wires at the breakers is worthwhile too, if they turn out to be swapped.

-Brian
Or just swap the labels since both are 20a breakers.
DVPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:22 PM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

My A/C and microwave breakers are mismarked. I left it alone since I’m the one that works on it. Mis marked fuses/breakers is more common than you would think, and not just Keystone.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:39 PM   #11
JRTJH
Site Team

Apparently the "dyslexic sticker guy" works inside the trailer as well as under it (valve handle stickers)......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 03:12 AM   #12
zippersbs

I appreciate all the help & suggestions. I pulled the microwave out when I got home & replaced the fuse in the back of the microwave & that was the problem with that. Put my electrical tester to the breakers & yes, the electrical engineers at the factory had a 50/50 chance of getting the microwave & A.C. breakers right because there's only 2 - 20 amp breakers & they failed the test, so switching the wires around. Thanks again everyone, happy rving.
Old 07-08-2018, 06:36 AM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

Thanks for sharing your findings and remedies. This will certianly help others.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote