Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-17-2018, 12:53 PM   #1
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Question "A new trailer"

Just had our first glimpse at our new 2018 22RBS Half-Ton. The dealership promised me a new unit... delivered from Indiana I believe. I'm expecting to see new...was disappointed seeing rusted gas lines and rust spots on the hitch and coupler, chips on the ladder, loose threads on the cushions, marks on the ceiling, no propane tanks on the unit, (all other RV's I've seen had tanks, strange) Just have the feeling it's another Demo that's been shown many times. I'm very curious on how a "brand new" RV is normally delivered/presented...I was expecting that brand new smell and things covered/protected with plastic film...nothing like that...I think they're passing me off a well-demo'd trailer
RagingRobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 01:54 PM   #2
travelin texans

This time of year it was hauled to your location from Indiana & on salted, slushy winter highways for probably 2-3 days which explains the rust. As for the interior the delivery driver is not supposed to use the rv at all during the delivery, not the bed or bathroom, nothing, but who knows for sure.
If you haven't paid yet, which you shouldn't have, your not obligated to take, so don't take it! DO NOT sign any paperwork UNTIL EVERYTING is to your satisfaction or find another unit at a different dealer.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 03:13 PM   #3
tnscoutr

When we were notified that the dealership had just got in the trailer that we were looking for, we had to unwrap all of the furniture before inspecting it.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk
Old 03-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

It was the same with our Cougar. When we were notified by the dealer that it was going to be at the dealership "tomorrow afternoon", we drove up to see how it looked. On arrival, the delivery driver parked it, unhitched and took his battery out of the trailer. The dealer got the keys, unlocked the door and we went in. Everything was wrapped in plastic, the TV was in its box and the mattress was in a heavy plastic bag, sealed with a heat gun. There was "carpet runner" film on all the carpet and stickers on everything from the glass shower surround to each sink, the microwave door, the refrigerator shelves, etc.

It was obvious that nobody had been inside to "unpack/unload" anything.

Under the trailer appeared to be "like new" with no stains on the foam that had been sprayed around holes to seal the coroplast. There was no rust on anything (it left the assembly line on Tuesday, delivered Thursday afternoon, so it was "2 days old" with no time for rust to develop. I'd suspect that being towed from the factory to the dealership in Ontario would be a 2-3 day trip, so depending on how long it sat at the dealership before they notified you, it would be "a tough sell" to convince me that significant rust developed in a week or less. If it's a slight surface rust, that's possible, but heavy rust??? Not likely on a week old trailer.. Just my opinon, YMMV.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 05:30 PM   #5
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Ya it's a crazy one...I'm not happy and was looking forward to peeling plastic off new stuff. My trailer could have been on display since early last year, hauled to shows and shown to many potential buyers for all I know. I want/love the trailer but I feel it's used at the new/full price. I'm pissed really, they promised me a new trailer....I'm gonna try and get the extended warranty thrown in...I feel like a camping hostage in my semi-new trailer!
Thanks for your replies...
Old 03-17-2018, 05:44 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Look at the tag on the front drivers side, it will have the month/year it was built.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

You need to hold the feet of the dealership to the fire; have them give you the exact history of the unit. They should be able to do that. When I bought my last one, it had been on the lot for a while, the plastic was gone off most stuff but the "new" smell was definitely there, and was for the first 3 years. Hopefully you're getting a "new" unit but my concern would be where it's been, particularly with any amount of rust. It doesn't grow overnight.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2018, 07:53 PM   #8
texas-traveler

definitely go into dealership with the blinders off. Don't let the eye candy make the final decision
Old 03-18-2018, 02:08 AM   #9
notanlines

Robert, ^^^^all good advice. First is reading the date of manufacture. Easy-peasy. It will be where Chuckster said. THEN you will know for sure where to start. And no, it didn't sit in Indiana for eight months before it was shipped out.
Let us hear from you.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 04:03 AM   #10
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Appreciate the replies...I'm arranging another visit
Old 03-18-2018, 04:33 AM   #11
ctbruce
Site Team | Emeritus

Just a question: Does taking it across the border require a deeper inspection? Asking because I never thought about it before.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Chip Bruce, RPh
Kansas City, MO
2016 Impact 312
2017 Silverado 3500HD SRW
ctbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 12:46 PM   #12
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

I'm guessing any inspection should be the same regardless. My trailer story is a little different. I'm not picking up this RV until May 17th. and the dealership PDI wasn't done yet. This initial visit the other day was a drop in to have my Husky centre line WD hitch installed and a peek at my "new" trailer. Earlier that same day I had the brake controller and wire harness installed 15 mins. up the road from the dealership ("Camping in Style" up here in Brooklin Ontario) The Curt brake controller which I bought from Amazon? proved to be faulty so I cut my visit short and headed back to have the brake controller changed. All is working good now except for the condition of the "apparently new" RV. I get these dealerships want to sell the in-stock RV's. I know for a fact the RV we saw at the dealership was the same one on the lot for months and hauled to two RV shows here in Toronto. Hence my reason for demanding a "new" RV or give me a demo discount price or throw in an extended warranty!
To be continued...
Old 03-26-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
RagingRobert
Gone Traveling

Hello, I did a sneak peak into the dealership and checked out the manufacture date sticker...it said, Dec. 14 2017 so it is new (fairly) I did look at other same RV's and saw no rust on the gas pipe. The PDI has not been done yet and they promised me they'll take care of all my concerns including changing everything I'm not happy with. Sounds good...we'll see!
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #14
Bigmike62

We bought ours “new” as well, and it spent about 3 months in the shop getting “warranty” work. The dealership was upfront about it being the oldest “new” unit on the lot and that financing had fell through twice but it was never off the lot. It had sun/heat damage, missing accessories, missing interior trim and a slightly bent fender: cargo door. For the price we got it (~$6k less than a new new unit ) and the dealer fixing pretty much everything, (noted it all in the final walkthrough and made them sign that they would fix it) it has been worth it.
Bigmike62 is offline   Reply With Quote