Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #1
slewis1694

Question 2012 Keystone Avalanche Electrical Problem

I have a 2012 Keystone Avalanche 343RS with dual 12v batteries and an Onan Marquis Gold 5500w generator. Prior to taking it on a 4 day trip, I had my son-in-law plug it in to charge the batteries. I had the dealer put in a cut-off switch so when the trailer was stored no power would be going to the trailer. He plugged the trailer in on a Thursday and I picked it up on Friday. When I got home I plugged it in and left it plugged in over the weekend. We left on our trip on Monday morning and did not have access to any power. We used very few lights inside the trailer and they were on for only a few hours. The next morning we got up and we had absolutely no power. Something had drained both of the batteries.
For those new to RV'ing like me, one needs to be aware of the fact that your generator needs battery power to start the generator. My didn't have enough power so I hooked it up to my truck and was able to start my generator. I left it on for about 4 hours with nothing on inside, except the refrigerator (on propane). When we came back in the lights were very dim so I hooked it back up to my truck so we would have some light. The next morning I got up and I again had no power in the trailer and my Chevy 2500HD Duramax with dual batteries was also dead. It was very apparent that something was draining my batteries. It is now at the dealers for the second time with the same issue. Could this be an Inverter/Converter issue?
slewis1694 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
SlowPoke

Sounds like you may be near alot of paranormal activity...they say that a spirit will drain the batteries for energy to try and manifest itself .... are you parking on top of Quartz?

LOL - Just Kidding, It does sound like the converter may have a small fault to ground, or you may need to have an isolation switch to disconnect battery power when you are not using them as something in the system is drawing constantly or maybe even numerous things drawing that you don't know are on necessarily (It happens). Without seeing it "eye to problem", I have always had an issue troubleshooting electrical problems like that, there are SO many things that could cause it. I'll let the more experienced RV'ers here throw a shot at this one...I hope all goes well in getting it resolved!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:36 PM   #3
slewis1694

Cool

When this problem first cropped up last August, I took it in to the dealer for this very same problem. They said the wiring had to A/C's hooked up in the same circuit and so they separated them.
I did have them put in a cut off switch so I could turn off the D/C power from the batteries to the unit. I thought they had corrected the problem and this was the first time we have taken the 5th wheel back out. Obviously they did not correct the problem. I understand that a number of people have had the same problem and it was traced back to the WFCO converter. I am going to let the dealer determine the cause and hopefully they will correct it.
One of the interesting things about this experience was when my brother-in-law and I were watching TV we kept hearing a noise outside the unit. I thought the wind was causing it and finally went to check. I went outside and when I attempted to come back in, the door had locked itself. I have an electronic keypad as well as the manual lock. That was what the noise was, the door was continually locking itself. It is apparently a safety feature. When your batteries get low, the door will automatically lock. Lucky I had a spare key!
Old 03-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #4
slewis1694

Wink Electrical Problem Solved?

I received a call from the dealership today saying they had solved the electrical problem so I am picking up my 5th wheel today. According to the dealer's senior advisor, when the dealer installed my generator and battery cut off switch, they forgot to wire the generator to the WFCO 9875 converter. When I was dry camping and ran the generator, the batteries were never being charged. I was running the generator for nothing.
When I get to the dealers, I am taking a volt/amp meter with me and I am not leaving until I am satisfied that the repairs have actually been made. I'll keep everyone posted.
Old 03-16-2013, 05:01 PM   #5
slewis1694

Wink Electrical Problem Solved!!!!

Finally! I picked up my Avalanche after being satisfied that the problem had finally been solved. Apparently one of the wires from the converter to the batteries had come loose or was never installed, meaning the batteries were never being charged. I verified that the generator was now charging the batteries by using a volt meter. I also have the Tri-metric 2025RV battery monitor on order so I will always know the status of my batteries.

If anyone else has the 2012 Avalanche 343RS, I found out where the converter is. Most converters are mounted under the circuit breaker/fuse panel but the converter in my trailer is in the basement behind a panel. If one is looking at their trailer door and opens the storage compartment, the panel to your immediate left hides the converter. One has to remove all the screws in the panel and then remove the panel to gain access to the converter.

FYI
Old 03-16-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
SlowPoke

Glad to hear you got it nailed down!!! Now, go enjoy it!

2012 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT Crew Cab w ith 2013 Keystone Passport 3180RE

SlowPoke is offline   Reply With Quote