Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2013, 12:05 PM   #1
davidjsimons

Voyager wireless rear view camera

Does anybody have any experience with the Voyager wireless rear view camera? The set I'm particularly interested in is the model which the monitor plugs into the 12 volt outlet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:14 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

I tried one and took it back. Our RV is 26' long, sits "part way" over the truck so total distance from the camera on the rear of the trailer to the monitor on the dash was maybe 30-32 ft. We could get a signal "sometimes" but if we were near large buildings or other vehicles, especially 18 wheelers or big motorhomes, we lost the signal. I finally got tired of needing to see and not being able to get a signal. We bought a wired camera and it's been great since then.

If you're planning to use it for connecting the truck/trailer, that's a different situation, only 10-15 ft and it should work pretty good for you.

If you find it at Advance Auto, order it online before March 3, for store delivery and there's a 20% discount plus a $50 gift card good with the next purchase of $100 or more. Not much, but it pays for a 12 pack LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:30 PM   #3
davidjsimons

I had planned on using it from the rear of the trailer to the cab of the truck. The length of my trailer is thirty-two feet and then the distance to my dashboard. I guess that would be another twelve feet or so.

davidjsimons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidjsimons View Post
I had planned on using it from the rear of the trailer to the cab of the truck. The length of my trailer is thirty-two feet and then the distance to my dashboard. I guess that would be another twelve feet or so.

I have not heard of any wireless remote camera systems that work well at distances much greater than the length of the tow vehicle and maybe 15 feet further. The lack of reliable distance service seems to be the main reason you don't hear about wireless camera on trailers very much.

I have a Rear View Safety kit ready to install in the truck. It is a wired unit and when I get ready to add the trailer to the system, there are two more ports on the controller for additional cameras. The manufacturer also offers connector kits designed for travel trailers and fifth wheels. Probably a more reliable way to go.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
LouSlugger

I'm surprised at some of the responses. I have this system on my rig and it has mostly worked very well. RV is 39 feet long, so total distance from camera to monitor in truck cab is probably close to 50 feet. After original installation it would sometimes lose signal, so I bought an antenna extender and moved the camera antenna from the camera to the driver's side of the RV (at the very back). Haven't had it on the road since relocating antenna but expect improvement. But even before it was fine about 90% of the time.

2007 Fuzion 362 Toy Hauler
2009 Ford F250 Super Duty Lariat 6.4L twin turbo diesel
LouSlugger is offline   Reply With Quote