Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Odds 'n Ends
Click Here to Login

Old 07-13-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
5happycampers

Sleeping In TT While Hooked up to TV

Newer TT owner first long trip. We are stopping to sleep. Would like to lv hooked up and still put slides out. Can we? Do we need to use stabilization jacks??? Thanks in advance.
Two almost 9 yr old Great Danes
5happycampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 PM   #2
chris199

I believe the trailer should be level front o back and side ti side b4 using slides. Good idea for fridge too.

Good night!

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 PM   #3
5happycampers

So if it is reasonably level and chocks are down, stabilizers are optional if we don't mind movement for night?
Old 07-13-2012, 07:44 PM   #4
f6bits

It also depends on where you’re stopped. If you're in a Walmart parking lot or some other non-camping space, it’s not kosher to put down the stabilizers and pop out the slide.

However, if all that is ok, just make sure you’re reasonably level and you can run out the slide. Just be prepared for lots of rocking if the stabilizers aren’t down. If you’re in a spot where they don’t mind stabilizers, put some wood down to protect the ground and start cranking away. Just don’t put too much pressure on the stabilizers.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #5
5happycampers

We are stopping at rv park so all is ok. Just want to be lazy. But you bring up a question. We were considering walmart on way home. Without putting slide out I can't get to back bunkhouse where kids are. Is it ok to put out part way or would that prevent a needed seal. I didn't even consider we shouldn't slide out if at a walmart but it makes sense I suppose....
Old 07-13-2012, 07:53 PM   #6
Festus2
Site Team

As Scott suggested, if you are in WW's parking lot, you might want to check with the management to see if it is ok to put slides out and stabilizers down. If it's ok, try to put your slides out towards an area where there are not parking stalls - like the edge of the lot and definitely not in a driveway area! If you are going to put the slides part way out, you might just as well put them all the way out. It won't make much of difference.
If your simply there to sleep, you may not need the stabilizers as you wouldn't be doing much walking or moving around.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:58 PM   #7
f6bits

I thought there was an issue on using the slide area if it’s not out due to floor support. With my slide in, the flooring at the inside edge doesn’t seem that well supported. Once the slide is fully extended, everything seats in place and feels sturdy.

2011 Passport 2590BH
2009 Ford F150 SuperCrew FX4 5.4L w/Max Tow
f6bits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:14 AM   #8
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5happycampers View Post
We are stopping at rv park so all is ok. Just want to be lazy. But you bring up a question. We were considering walmart on way home. Without putting slide out I can't get to back bunkhouse where kids are. Is it ok to put out part way or would that prevent a needed seal. I didn't even consider we shouldn't slide out if at a walmart but it makes sense I suppose....
If you are just being lazy, by not putting the stabilizers down, you are essentially abusing your rig. The stabilizers are there for several reasons, the primary being to properly distribute the load when the slides are out.

Slides all the way in or all the way out! Running them out part way because you are lazy? This is beginning to sound like a troll to me.

And you are in an rv park and don't want to put the stabilizers down or run the slides out all the way?

Phooey.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 01:59 AM   #9
chris199

Quote:
Originally Posted by f6bits View Post
I thought there was an issue on using the slide area if it’s not out due to floor support. With my slide in, the flooring at the inside edge doesn’t seem that well supported. Once the slide is fully extended, everything seats in place and feels sturdy.

Correct...slides all the way out or in. I was told to NEVER walk on slide floor when not fully extended. Floor is not supported properly and will fail. If this happens, I do not believe repair is covered under warranty.

2015 Keystone Montana 3791RD Legacy Edition, MorRyde 4000, Dual pane windows, Goodyear G rated tires.

2013 GMC Sierra 3500HD, Duramax, SLE, SRW, Crew, Hensley Trailer Saver hitch, Blue Ox BedSaver.
chris199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 04:37 AM   #10
mikell

Wal Mart here doesn't seem to care. Last weekend some had everything out and sitting at a table eating breakfast. IN THE MIDDLE OF THE LOT!Now mind you that night it only went down to 75 so that parking lot was a real hot place to spend the night. Our campground is about a mile away lots of shade and more than enough water and power.
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:27 AM   #11
closesquarters

Camping at Walmart: We have made stopovers in Walmart parking lots probably 10 times in the last several years. Never had an issue with the management for putting our slides out. Only problem we had once was at a non-24-hour Walmart. We were told we could not spend the night there because when they closed, no "customers" were allowed to remain in the lot. Also, we always find somewhere on the edge of the lot far away from the action to put our slides out.

Another thing... I realize some people "poo... poo" those who stayover in Walmart lots as this can be percieved as taking business away from independent RV parks. I do, and hope others stay at those independently owned parks too if available, and convenient. For us... It's much more about the convenience than any costs involved. If I'm driving from Wisconsin to North Carolina and work schedule only provides me one week to do it... I'm going to want to get there camping with minimal side trips. Pulling into Walmart at midnight for a quick 6 hours of sleep is worlds faster than trying to manage most RV parks I've seen.... many of whom don't allow late check-ins. You just can't beat the effeciency of parking with slides out in about 5 minutes from most off-ramps at a Walmart.

2012 Keystone Montana 3582RL
2011 Duramax 3500 short box
closesquarters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:39 AM   #12
camper 2010

When using the slides, it must be all the way out. With the slide part way out you don't have a good seal around the opening. In case of rain you will not have any way to keep the water out. The floor of the slide will be about 2.5 inches off the trailer floor. IF you walk or put any pressure on the floor you risk pulling the floor from the side walls or braking the floor.
camper 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:22 AM   #13
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
The stabilizers are there for several reasons, the primary being to properly distribute the load when the slides are out.
Huh? This is the "primary", reason for the stabilizers?
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:19 AM   #14
SteveC7010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
Huh? This is the "primary", reason for the stabilizers?
Maybe not, but the OP needs to understand that running out the slides and dropping the stabilizers both need to be done. He admitted this whole question is based on LAZINESS.

Besides, with the slides out and no stabilizers down, the rock factor has to be multiplied quite a bit. I would also offer that the advent of slides has changed the purpose of the stabilizers to some degree.

'11 Cougar 326MKS loaded with mods
'12 Ford F250 SuperCab 6.7 PowerStroke Diesel
Amateur Radio: KD2IAT (146.520) GMRS: WQPG808 (462.675 TPL 141.3)
SteveC7010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #15
Halibutman214

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC7010 View Post
Maybe not, but the OP needs to understand that running out the slides and dropping the stabilizers both need to be done. He admitted this whole question is based on LAZINESS.

Besides, with the slides out and no stabilizers down, the rock factor has to be multiplied quite a bit. I would also offer that the advent of slides has changed the purpose of the stabilizers to some degree.
I would agree with all of the above including the "L" word. A drill makes this job take about 2 minutes.
Halibutman214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #16
Festus2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halibutman214 View Post
I would agree with all of the above including the "L" word. A drill makes this job take about 2 minutes.
Halibutman -
I've never timed myself but I reckon that I can place blocks under the 2 stabilizers and lower them into position using the supplied hand-crank in about 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I know, I'm old fashioned and too cheap to buy a drill.
Old 07-14-2012, 05:04 PM   #17
chuck&gail

Don't use Walmart so no comment on that.

We OFTEN do not unhook. If tired, stabilizers stay up, but then get some rocking. Prefer tongue jack down a bit to take some load off TV suspension, and stabilizers down, if not too tired.

We were told NEVER to put slide part way out and leave it there. Also told to stay off slide when it was in.
2010 Ford Expedition TV
2010 Outback 230RS Toybox, 5390# UVW, 6800# Loaded
Not yet camped in Hawaii, 2 Canada Provinces, & 2 Territories
I can't be lost because I don't care where this lovely road is going
chuck&gail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 05:03 AM   #18
Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck&gail View Post
We were told NEVER to put slide part way out and leave it there. Also told to stay off slide when it was in.
With the number of slides now on 5th wheels, is it even safe to use them overnight at places like WalMart without damaging the slides while they are still in? It seems that at least 90% of all beds are on slides.
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 07:15 AM   #19
Outbackmel

Walmart Overnight Camping

More Walmarts ( Supercenters) are restricting RV's from overnight parking. Make sure you check in advance by contacting the store management before you drive past your extended driving durability range and wind up like a character in a Chevy Chase movie, asleep at the wheel!

I can't imagine anything worse than having a travel plan that goes flat when exhausted at the end of the day's run.

Have a back up plan prepared.
Outbackmel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 05:39 AM   #20
E597283

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5happycampers View Post
I slide mine out just a little so an adult size person can get in bathroom. I never slide it out all the way...maybe a 12-18inches

2011 Keystone Passport 2910BH Ltd. Edition

2007 Yukon XL Denali, 6.2 liter
E597283 is offline   Reply With Quote