Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 04-11-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
JRTJH
Site Team

Expect a snowstorm in North Michigan this week

We got our fifth wheel out of storage today, drove over, checked it out and brought it home. The tires (Maxxis) all had 51.5 PSI in them (I had increased the pressure to 55 PSI when I put it in covered storage last fall) I only installed one battery to bring it home, and over the next week or so will get everything ready for the summer. First, batteries, check out everything to make sure it all survived the winter, then repack wheel bearings, adjust brakes, wash/wax and clean the inside again. I'm concerned about dewinterizing yet, we've got several weeks of possible freeze warnings yet to go.

On first inspection, no damage, no "rodents" and nothing other than dust accumulation from storage.

So, as the headline suggests, look out if you live anywhere within a few hundred miles of northern Michigan, with my luck, we've got a "record weather event" headed our way LOL

We woke up this morning to about an inch on the ground, but that was gone by noon. Tonight the low is forcast at 29F, so it's warming up (HUSH all you Florida souls) Next, after the trailer is the boat, then it will be "officially summer"

It's been too long a winter, time to get started with summer already !!!!!

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 02:44 AM   #2
mikell

Here in SouthWest Michigan it's 28 at 6:30 AM 2 weeks ago it was in the 60's overnight
mikell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
antiqfreq

It was 35 this morning in central Georgia.....

I welcome the 'cool' weather as in the summer it is SOoooooo hot!

Jo
ISSPRO pillar gauges
Pullrite 15K sliding hitch
2-Honda Eu2000i's in toolbox
2012 Polaris 400
2012 Polaris 330
antiqfreq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:23 AM   #4
allentx1

Exactly, here in Southern Texas (Austin) we have already started hitting 90 degrees. I don't think we have been in the 50's even in months. But as my Georgian peers stated, we like the cooler weather anytime between May and September... Good side is we camp all winter down here.

2011 Avalanche 340TG
2010 Ford F-250 6.4l Power Stroke 2wd
Pullrite auto-slider hitch
Austin Texas area
allentx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:47 AM   #5
campingcpl

We had 80's here in northern Indiana last week and now we have been lucky to see 50's the last couple of days. Had snow the other day and have had freeze warnings out the last couple of nights with temps hitting the mid 20's. Our poor plants are taking a beating! We pulled the trailer out of storage a couple of weeks ago and started getting it ready for our first trip. Will do everything but dewintrizing till the weekend before we plan to leave in about 3 more weeks.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:09 AM   #6
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by campingcpl View Post
We had 80's here in northern Indiana last week and now we have been lucky to see 50's the last couple of days. Had snow the other day and have had freeze warnings out the last couple of nights with temps hitting the mid 20's. Our poor plants are taking a beating! We pulled the trailer out of storage a couple of weeks ago and started getting it ready for our first trip. Will do everything but dewintrizing till the weekend before we plan to leave in about 3 more weeks.
It's much the same here. Over around Traverse City, all the cherry trees and apple trees started to bud out and bloom during that warm spell a couple weeks ago. Now, with the ice, snow and freezing temps the past several nights, there's fear that the cherry crop will be ruined.

We plan to get the maintenance done on the trailer this week and next (weather permitting) and once I have that completed, then dewinterize probably by the end of April. Hopefully we'll have warmer weather for walleye opening on May 15th. I've got a hunch it'll be chilly on the water, so thank goodness for a good furnace in the trailer LOL

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 04-12-2012, 07:29 AM   #7
campingcpl

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
It's much the same here. Over around Traverse City, all the cherry trees and apple trees started to bud out and bloom during that warm spell a couple weeks ago. Now, with the ice, snow and freezing temps the past several nights, there's fear that the cherry crop will be ruined.

We plan to get the maintenance done on the trailer this week and next (weather permitting) and once I have that completed, then dewinterize probably by the end of April. Hopefully we'll have warmer weather for walleye opening on May 15th. I've got a hunch it'll be chilly on the water, so thank goodness for a good furnace in the trailer LOL
I know the feeling! They are saying that a lot of the grape (a lot of wineries in the area) and fruit trees (we have some large apple orchards here too) are going to really suffer this year. I wonder how the cold will affect the mushrooming in your area? I used to have friends that lived in the Cadillac and Mesick area. I would think the fishing would be good even with the cooler weather. I know they pull walleye out around here even durring the winter it's just nicer doing it in warmer weather. We are heading to Montana towards the end of May and was hoping to do some fly fishing in Yellowstone but they don't start selling permits till the day we plan to start heading back. I was hoping to have some fresh rainbow or browns to throw on the grill while we were their but looks like that will have to wait till another trip.

Phil & Janine & Lady
2004.5 Chevy 2500HD Duramax LLY CC LB 4X4
2009 Keystone Sprinter 272RLS
campingcpl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 04:12 PM   #8
JRTJH
Site Team

Morels are in now. We've found about 3 lbs so far. That's not a bunch, but enough to make some potato/leek/morel soup and to have some venison stuffed morels. Hopefully, if we do get a little rain this weekend and it stays warm, they'll pop right up and it'll be fantastic picking !!! Morels, around here at least, are heavily guarded secret picking grounds, so once you find a good location, never camp there, camp about half a mile away and sneak to your spot

It's a shame you're leaving the day trout season opens. We've got 5 acres north of Steamboat Sprinds, CO and when we go there, it's always a super treat to sneak up on some of the beaver ponds and catch fresh brookies for breakfast. My grandson is so gung ho about it that he will crawl on his hands and knees up to the pond to keep from spooking the trout... I'll just walk up and wait a while for them to settle down... something to do with patience, I suppose, 10 year olds have little of that <wink>

Have a safe trip and enjoy Yellowstone

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS