Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-04-2022, 06:42 PM   #1
rodgebone

Kitchen Sink Pipes

What's safe to use on water traps in kitchen sinks for grease buildup? don't want to pour something down there that will damage pipes, sealants or tanks.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:48 PM   #2
RollaMo

I wouldn't pour any type of "cleaner" down the sink drain.
Just take the trap out and clean it outside of the RV.
Old 09-04-2022, 06:55 PM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

If you have grease build up in the holding tank you can do the following:

Make sure your water heater is full and up to temp, fill the sink 1/2 way with HOT water. Then pour a large (1/4 bottle) of Dawn Ultra into the water. Open the drain and run the hot water until the tank is full. Leave it overnight then drain.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2022, 07:17 PM   #4
rodgebone

Thanks, Chuckster...the grease buildup is in the pipe/water trap, not the tanks. I always pour dawn into every holding tank.

Rollamo - you are right. this trap is easy to remove and cleanse after further inspection. was just concerned about breaking a sealant on the pipes if not threaded. but they are threaded and easy to remove.

Thanks mucho everyone for your help
Old 09-04-2022, 08:03 PM   #5
wiredgeorge

It is not difficult to unscrew the P trap from the down pipe and clean it outside the camper if it is clogged.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:50 AM   #6
dutchmensport

Removing the P-trap is very easy, yes. I remove mine every year when I winterize rather than pouring pink-stuff-antifreeze down the drains. I also use that opportunity to wash them out.

Note: Never put greasy stuff down the kitchen sink (even in your house). Always wipe out greasy pans with paper towel and throw the paper towel in the trash. We always wipe pots and pans out with paper towel first, cleaning them off as much as possible before washing in the sink. Why? for the very reason you just stated... only ours was in the house and required a plumber to snake the thing out.

Butter, margarine, cooking oil, bacon grease, and grease from all the meats you fix will all turn hard when cooled. Dishwashing liquid will not simply wash it away either once it turns hard, ... not without scrubbing, and that's impossible inside a drain pipe. The solution is never put grease down the drain to start with.

Bacon grease? Use a can opener and cut off the top of an aluminum soda can, then pour the grease in it. Let it sit and it will solidify and then you can simply toss it in the trash, or use it for starter fuel for your next campfire.

Beef, pork, chicken, butter, oil, margarine left in the frying pan? Do the same. Pour it in a soda can and let it solidify.

And don't let those little food particles go down the drain either. Wipe your washable dishes with a paper towel first too, over the trash can.

Now, if you don't want to do this, that's your choice. But then... you can also expect problems with your drain pipes and holding tank in the future.

By the way, don't go out and buy Bounty or some other type of kitchen paper towel. You are paying, way, way too much for that stuff.

Go to the automotive section in Wall Mart and pick up a 6 pack package of those blue paper shop towels. They are beyond fantastic for everything, and the cost is a fraction of what you pay for kitchen paper towels.

You can also get the white version is a box from Lowe's, Home Depot, Menards. Sheet for sheet, these are even cheaper yet and work much, much, much better than high priced, over priced, kitchen paper towels that shred, leave lint, and are basically a pain in the neck. (and did I say ... much, much cheaper).

We quit using kitchen paper towels more than 10 years ago when I discovered them for use in my wood shop. They worked so well, they found their way in our kitchen at home, and in the camper. We don't use anything else now. We purchase the 6 roll packs and keep them stocked everywhere in our house and camper. (2 garages, kitchen house, bathroom house, wood shed, laundry room in the house, in the pass through in the camper, kitchen in the camper, bathroom in the camper, we keep a roll in our doggie travel bag in the vehicles, and always have a roll in each vehicle. They come in VERY handy at gas stations when gas stations are out of paper towel to wash your windshield with!

If you do this, you'll never have drain problems in your camper again.
Old 09-05-2022, 06:41 AM   #7
GMH

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Always wipe out greasy pans with paper towel and throw the paper towel in the trash.

Use a can opener and cut off the top of an aluminum soda can, then pour the grease in it.

Go to the automotive section in Wall Mart and pick up a 6 pack package of those blue paper shop towels.
All good advice! We keep an old margarine container in the freezer and pour the grease in it and toss it when full. The blue shop towels are real nice, but I find them more expensive up here, so they get saved for tasks where more absorbency is needed.

Tags
sink