Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 09-03-2022, 06:52 PM   #1
Jbro

Hot Water Heater Not Working

I have a new (this year) Keystone Cougar 364 BHL and just noticed today that the water heater isn't working. It was working last weekend when I left camp. I shut the heater off and turned the water off before leaving, just like I always do.

When I got to camp today I turned the water on, ran some water in the sink to make sure the water was on, turned both propane tanks on, and then turned the water heater on in "propane and electric" mode, which is how I normally operate it.

It's been several hours but it's not yet producing any hot water, so it seems like the problem is not isolated to the propane or to the electric. Any thoughts on where I should start my troubleshooting?
Jbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 06:58 PM   #2
wiredgeorge

On your control panel I believe you have a rocker switch for the lighting the propane side. Light comes on when you actuate the toggle then goes out after the pilot light lights. Did this happen? You electric heating element is complete separate system. Do you toggle a switch or turn it on with a switch on the water heater itself?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:06 PM   #3
Jbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
On your control panel I believe you have a rocker switch for the lighting the propane side. Light comes on when you actuate the toggle then goes out after the pilot light lights. Did this happen? You electric heating element is complete separate system. Do you toggle a switch or turn it on with a switch on the water heater itself?
I have the "In Command" system and I've just been turning it off and on with that. I have 4 choices: off, gas, electric, gas and electric. I don't do anything else other than making sure the water is on and the propane is on before switching it to "gas and electric". And then when I leave camp I just turn it to off using "In Command".

But I've just discovered that the problem is not with the water heater after all. Nothing is working from the "In Command" panel. Well, the panel itself works, but nothing happens. I can toggle through and make selections but the message doesn't seem to be going anywhere. For example, if I try to turn on my ACs or open a vent, etc. Nothing happens. I wonder if there is a way to reboot the system.
Old 09-03-2022, 07:12 PM   #4
chuckster57
Site Team

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...boot+InCommand

Reboot

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2022, 07:16 PM   #5
Jbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Thank you. I will try tomorrow since it's after 11 PM and I have no clue where the BCM is. I suspect I'm going to have to empty my front storage compartment to find it. I hope rebooting does the trick!
Old 09-03-2022, 07:31 PM   #6
Jbro

I read a little more about In Command and found out that just shutting it off at the control panel and restarting it (without a reboot at the BCM) sometimes does the trick. Tried that and it worked! Everything is back to normal. (Of course I have no hot water yet, but the propane burner immediately fired so I'm sure all is well.)

I had no idea I was supposed to shut the In Command unit off when I left camp, I guess I had just been putting it to sleep and not actually shutting it off.

Thank you for your help! I'm still going to find out where that BCM is tomorrow as that seems like something I should know.
Old 09-04-2022, 12:02 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

Better to buy an old 2002 Cougar like I have with none of the electronic magic and it is built better than the new ones. Stuff can go wrong with the old trailers but I have never had to look for a "BCM"!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2022, 05:50 AM   #8
Jbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
Better to buy an old 2002 Cougar like I have with none of the electronic magic and it is built better than the new ones. Stuff can go wrong with the old trailers but I have never had to look for a "BCM"!
I have no doubt (even with no experience, this is my first camper) that the old ones were built better. I have found lots of little irritating but minor issues with my camper so far. But one reason we went with brand new is that the nice seasonal campgrounds around here require something generally no older than 5 or 6 years old to qualify for a seasonal site. I think once you're in, you're good and can age gracefully, but to get in you need to be shiny and new.

Tags
heat, heater, hot water heater, water, water heater