Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2022, 11:52 AM   #21
cenders

Line lock?

Do disc brakes comes with a line lock, ie: an emergency brake, so that you no longer need to chock your wheels? That would be another huge advantage IMHO.
cenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #22
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post
Do disc brakes comes with a line lock, ie: an emergency brake, so that you no longer need to chock your wheels? That would be another huge advantage IMHO.
I guess that’s the advantage of 6 point auto level, I don’t chock the tires.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 12:50 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenders View Post

They use the same "emergency" brake that your trailer does - the breakaway switch. On the RV they are electric over hydraulic so the 12vdc from the truck is used to activate the hydraulic disc brakes....or the 12vdc battery (breakaway) of the trailer. Not a substitute for chocks.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:04 PM   #24
gearhead

All the above X3. I don’t think Javi and Danny will mind me saying we 3 used Performance Trailer Braking out of Oklahoma City. They did a jam up job for me.
I had issues with drum brakes on our previous Montana HC and replaced them with new backing plate and shoes. I felt like they were from the horse and buggy era and made as cheap as possible. The discs feel much better, more even braking. For me it’s the confidence of knowing I have great brakes.
I theorize they run cooler and thus cooler bearings, maybe.
I mentioned independent suspension and a sprayed roof to Betty and she told me “we are not spending anymore money on that trailer”. But we will likely buy new recliners and sofa for it this winter.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 01:11 PM   #25
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
All the above X3. I don’t think Javi and Danny will mind me saying we 3 used Performance Trailer Braking out of Oklahoma City. They did a jam up job for me.
I had issues with drum brakes on our previous Montana HC and replaced them with new backing plate and shoes. I felt like they were from the horse and buggy era and made as cheap as possible. The discs feel much better, more even braking. For me it’s the confidence of knowing I have great brakes.
I theorize they run cooler and thus cooler bearings, maybe.
I mentioned independent suspension and a sprayed roof to Betty and she told me “we are not spending anymore money on that trailer”. But we will likely buy new recliners and sofa for it this winter.
One good thing, my wife hasn’t complained about the spending yet. She questioned why I want to change the hitch out for a Goosebox, but she just accepts my excuses and goes with it. I think as long as I keep taking her places, she’s open to anything I want to do to it. Plus, we saw a couple RVs turned over on this last trip so she understands the safety side of it.

We changed the couch and recliners two years ago. I put in a new 55” smart tv this year. After 10 years of owning it, I think I’m finally getting it to where I want it. Still cheaper than buying a new one, and it still looks like new, so why change.
Old 08-14-2022, 01:41 PM   #26
notanlines

I'm a little late jumping in, but if the money situation works for you then disk is the way to go if you're a heavy hauler. I did the changeover on the boat trailer myself and the Suites came standard with them.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 05:46 AM   #27
ChuckS

No doubt that IS with disk brakes is a nice setup with great suspension and much better braking power..

For me with my 2014 Alpine 3010RE at 34 foot long it’s just not a cost effective upgrade..

I’ve got close to 40K miles on the OEM suspension, brakes, bearings, etc..

At almost age 69 I am still blessed with the physical abilities to do my own work

That said I can replace a cracked spring or springs, bearings, complete new brake backing assy on both axles and still be way under the investment into an IS system and disk brakes.

So for my older Alpine I will maintain the way it’s configured and use the saved cash for other things

Again.. nothing wrong with any of the IS systems.. if you hit the cash and feel the upgrade is what is needed then go for it

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 10:06 PM   #28
bobbecky

I was in the same mode as you, had a bit over 60,000 miles on our trailer, still had the Dexter drum brakes and always did all the work, replacing backing plate assemblies, maintaining brakes and bearings annually with no problem. Then in 2019, we were going to the MOC Western Region Rally in Coos Bay, OR, where a rep from PTB was going to do a presentation om their products and was also available to do an install for disc brakes. I was on the fence, didn't want to spend the money. In March I decided to inspect the brakes and repack the bearings. I did both brakes on the street side, no problems. Got to the curb side and pulled off the rear drum, and a lot of the guts fell on the ground, and had no indication that there was an issue with the brakes on any wheel. That made up my mind to have the PTB discs installed at the rally, and was the best upgrade we had made to our trailer. First photo is the backing plate assembly as I found it, adjuster screw assembly totally gone, ground up in the drum, along with several other parts. The second photo is at the end of an afternoon that the installer had the discs installed on the axles, and he finished the rest of the install the following day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	failed brake assembly.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	41190   Click image for larger version

Name:	new disc brakes.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	156.6 KB
ID:	41191  
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2022, 06:04 AM   #29
bsmith0404

Thanks guys. I’ll probably upgrade them at some point. I was just trying to figure out what everyone was raving about since I didn’t really notice a difference on the ones I pulled that had disc brakes. I like the idea of them, some of the maintenance things, just don’t like the price vs performance factor (as I mentioned, I haven’t noticed much of a difference on the ones I’ve towed). I can understand they are better in an emergency situation. Maybe I’ll bite the bullet when I change out the suspension. What a combination the Roadmaster Comfort Ride and disc brakes would be on the running gear!

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
Old 08-16-2022, 06:07 AM   #30
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
No doubt that IS with disk brakes is a nice setup with great suspension and much better braking power..

For me with my 2014 Alpine 3010RE at 34 foot long it’s just not a cost effective upgrade..

I’ve got close to 40K miles on the OEM suspension, brakes, bearings, etc..

At almost age 69 I am still blessed with the physical abilities to do my own work

That said I can replace a cracked spring or springs, bearings, complete new brake backing assy on both axles and still be way under the investment into an IS system and disk brakes.

So for my older Alpine I will maintain the way it’s configured and use the saved cash for other things

Again.. nothing wrong with any of the IS systems.. if you hit the cash and feel the upgrade is what is needed then go for it
That’s exactly how I’ve felt, but the idea of improving what I have is always nagging at me. I guess I’m just running out of things to upgrade on my toys and my attention is moving to the RV and all of the meet things I can do to it.

Tags
brakes