Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-14-2022, 07:45 PM   #1
jwagner

keytv with directv genie

have tried several times and all different hookup scenarios, but cannot get genie to work with mini boxes at the tvs. i dont believe the keytv controller allows for bidirectional communication, which is what is needed with the genie. has anyone found any wiring scenario that works with genie?
jwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 03:48 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Try the search feature in the black bar at the top of any forum webpage. Use "key words or phrases" and you should get a list of numerous threads discussing/cussing the KeyTV components and their limitations.

Here's one thread to get you going. https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=44840

Remember that the 'automatic aiming satelite receivers" require a specific voltage to power the drive motors that aim the dish. KeyTV does not have the capability to power those motors over a specific wire distance. I believe it's around 25'. Any longer coax than that, the system can't support the satelite power requirements.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:50 AM   #3
ChuckS

If you are using ANY portable SAT antenna then you are also using a power inserter inline with the receiver and SAT antenna.. It provides the 18 VDC to run the servo motors inside the portable antenna..

The KeyTV multisource controller often either blocks this voltage or creates a voltage drop along the coax cable and without the proper voltage to the portable antenna it cant seek and find any "birds" in orbit...

Also if you use a tripod mounted SAT antenna the SWM uses 18 VDC passed along the coax cable from an inserter to power it..

Ive attached the only TS file I've ever seen that will provide you some guidance and how to TS... its a fairly good document
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Key TV MSSC Troubleshooting Guide.pdf (1.73 MB, 94 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2022, 04:29 PM   #4
jwagner

Thanks for the response ChuckS. i have seen this TS guide. no help. are you familiar with the Directv Genie receiver and mini system? if i hook up the genie receiver and mini box between the tv and the wall, it will work at that tv only. but if i hook up the genie receiver before the keytv controller and the mini box between the tv and the wall, it wont work at any tv.

i am pretty confident in my assessment that the issue is the lack of bi-directional communication thru the keytv controller. i am just curious if anyone else out there has found a workaround, short of running a new cable to each tv separate of the keytv system. it would also be nice if Keystone would step up and either admit the system wont work with a genie or respond with a solution. have tried contacting them directly and gone thru camping world dealer and no fix.
jwagner is offline   Reply With Quote