Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-12-2022, 06:04 AM   #1
wrvond

Awning track repair

I thought this was going to be fairly easy.

Several screws have pulled out of the wall at one end of the awning track. My assumption is these screws were not installed correctly - in other words I'm guessing the installer missed the wall studs at that end of the track. I figured if I got a stud finder I could simply climb up and mark the stud locations and install screws in their proper locations - problem solved.
BUT, it didn't work. I was never able to get any kind of reliable indication of the stud locations in the wall. I know the finder is working - I used it on an interior wall to good effect.
Any tips or tricks to help me figure out where the studs are?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6029a.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	40319   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6035a.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	40320  

wrvond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:53 AM   #2
fjr vfr

My only thought work be use lap sealant behind the strip and longer/thicker screws and don't over tighten. Add a few more screws. I doubt you'll have any luck locating studs. Stud finders don't work in this case.
Good luck
fjr vfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:04 AM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Take a look at this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=awning

It's a reliable, easy to do repair, just remember to seal behind the awning rail so you don't get water intrusion.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 08:45 AM   #4
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Take a look at this thread: https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ghlight=awning

It's a reliable, easy to do repair, just remember to seal behind the awning rail so you don't get water intrusion.
Perfect!
I ordered a pack of 50 from McMaster-Carr. Sadly the shipping was twice as much as the item itself, but the repair is going to be invaluable.

Much mahalo!!

Old 06-13-2022, 02:48 PM   #5
ChuckS

The tri lock or “Oscar” rivets is how the factory should be installing the awning rear rail in the first place over a Filon wall with no backboard..

Make sure the butyl tape that is already in place behind your rear rail is in good condition ( should be ) and then you will see the rivets pull the track nice and tight..

Mine have been in place several years now with no further issues. Use a small dab of non sag sealant on the rivet when installing into the hole and then cinch it up..wipe off any excess sealant

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
The tri lock or “Oscar” rivets is how the factory should be installing the awning rear rail in the first place over a Filon wall with no backboard..

Make sure the butyl tape that is already in place behind your rear rail is in good condition ( should be ) and then you will see the rivets pull the track nice and tight..

Mine have been in place several years now with no further issues. Use a small dab of non sag sealant on the rivet when installing into the hole and then cinch it up..wipe off any excess sealant
Apparently Keystone has quit using butyl tape. There is non sag sealant under my rail - I’m assuming it’s Alpha Systems 1010 non sag sealant. I intend to put more under there and in the holes with dabs on top of the rivet heads before replacing the vinyl trim strip.
My rivets will be here Wednesday and I’m excited to finally get this issue resolved.

Old 06-14-2022, 04:51 AM   #7
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrvond View Post
Apparently Keystone has quit using butyl tape. There is non sag sealant under my rail - I’m assuming it’s Alpha Systems 1010 non sag sealant. I intend to put more under there and in the holes with dabs on top of the rivet heads before replacing the vinyl trim strip.
My rivets will be here Wednesday and I’m excited to finally get this issue resolved.
Look very carefully at the remaining "cheap screw attachments" along the awning rail. The end you are repairing may not be the only place that is loose. Those "factory screws" have a way of backing out just enough to start letting rain water seep under the screw, along the threads and into the FILON and sub structure of the trailer. The vinyl screw cover isn't a very good water seal.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:01 AM   #8
wrvond

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Look very carefully at the remaining "cheap screw attachments" along the awning rail. The end you are repairing may not be the only place that is loose. Those "factory screws" have a way of backing out just enough to start letting rain water seep under the screw, along the threads and into the FILON and sub structure of the trailer. The vinyl screw cover isn't a very good water seal.
Excellent point! I'll have plenty of rivets and will already be on the ladder. Seems the smart money is on replacing all the screws at once and ensuring everything is sealed up.

Old 06-18-2022, 10:09 AM   #9
wrvond

Awning track repair update:

Update:

Well, that wasn't so bad after al!
The weather today has been amazingly great for a change, so I figured I better take the bull by the horns and get to work on this awning before water finds it's way in there and makes a mess of everything.

I grabbed my drill with square #2 driver and climbed up the ladder. Removed the screw holding the vinyl strip end and pulled the strip out of it's track. Other than all the screw heads sticking up way higher than they should be, I noticed right away that two of the first ten screws were not there - never had been, no holes in the wall for them. I removed the ten loose screws and tried to test fit a tri-lock rivet. The rivets I purchased from McMaster-Carr are 3/16" diameter and the holes were just a tad too small. I got a 3/16" drill bit and carefully resized each hole in the aluminum track. I avoided cutting into the filon except for the holes that weren't there. At this point I opened my tube of Alpha Systems non-sag sealant and laid in a generous amount under the track. When I went to insert the first rivet I found it was still too tight to push in barehanded so I used a 1/4" deep socket and a small hammer to tap each one into place. Then I started setting the rivets, the track snugged up to the wall nicely and sealant was squishing out everywhere. I set all the rivets and then added a blob of sealant to the head of each rivet.
Moving on to the next screw I attempted to remove it using the driver bit and my fingers. That one and the next two came out easily. The fourth one was quite tight, as were the rest of them. I drilled out the track holes, shot a bunch of sealant into the holes and riveted them - sealing the tops.
I decided to not change out the remaining screws since they are all quite tight and there doesn't appear to be any problem. I reinstalled the vinyl cover and fastened the end. I'm currently waiting for the excess sealant to harden up enough to trim up with a blade. I'm quite happy that I was able to repair this awning track without leaving my camper at a dealership for six months!

I want to thank you guys for the guidance on this repair. I can say these rivets would never have entered my mind and I am sure anything else I might have tried would have ultimately failed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-18 134714.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	139.7 KB
ID:	40315   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-18 134742.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	40316   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-18 134654.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	38.5 KB
ID:	40317   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2022-06-18 134805.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	40318  

Old 06-18-2022, 10:16 AM   #10
bsmith0404

Sounds like you got it taken care of well. Doubt you’ll have any more issues. Very good write up.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rack, awning