Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-11-2022, 07:15 PM   #1
Dlawhun

How Re-Thread Pleated Shade?

Thread broke...searched the web & so far have only found videos that replaced thread in day/night shade--that has an upper & lower--and narrower shades that have a thread on each side...But mine is NOT a day/night shade & has a thread running thru in FOUR places--the wide shade spans the back window of my 2018 Hideout 26 RLS.

Anyone link me to a video and/or written instructions w/ pics for such a beast as I have? (I already purchased > 300' of thread.)
Dlawhun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:29 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I’ve never had to do it, but I would think the process would be the same. The day/night shades are the same concept, they just have the plastic strip across the middle that separates the two sides. I would think the only difference would be if anything special is done in that area.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 06:57 AM   #3
markcee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlawhun View Post
Thread broke...searched the web & so far have only found videos that replaced thread in day/night shade--that has an upper & lower--and narrower shades that have a thread on each side...But mine is NOT a day/night shade & has a thread running thru in FOUR places--the wide shade spans the back window of my 2018 Hideout 26 RLS.

Anyone link me to a video and/or written instructions w/ pics for such a beast as I have? (I already purchased > 300' of thread.)
Don't know if this is a match for your blinds, but this one states '4 string repair':

markcee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2022, 01:56 PM   #4
stubones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlawhun View Post

There is one video I saw a few months back... I'll try to find it. The Amazon kit to restring blinds has enough stuff to do 4+ blinds including the springs, strings and the buttons to secure the ends of the string.

It is fairly simple to get the blinds restrung, harder part to get the valance off to get to the blind itself. loosen the screws holding the strings at the bottom and unhang the screen at the top (under the valance. If your blinds are like mine, they are screwed through the top into the wall, (Crappy way to do it!!)

There are two parts that slide onto the blind unit, the top mount and the bottom finger rail (to raise and lower it). Slide these two parts off to the side

You should see a small spring at the top of the blind to maintain the tension on the side string. Replace it with a new one and cut the string in half (use a lighter so the string does not fray). Tie the ends onto the ends of the springs, so you have a new spring with two equal length strings off the ends.

Collapse the blind and either tie it or use a rubber band to keep it together. Use the ends of the string, push / thread the string through the blind. You can slide the top bracket back onto the top of the blind now. Slide the bottom bracket onto the other end of the blind and pull off the end caps of the bottom bracket (with holes...) and you have to thread the strings through the hole in the bracket and through the bottom bracket (finger bar) and out the other end. Both of the strings cross in the middle of the bottom tube.

Left string goes down through the blind and into the left end of the tube cap, into the tube, and out the right side cap.

The right side string goes over the right side of the top of the blind and down through the right side of the blind material and through the right end cap of the bottom tube, through the tube to the left side and through the left side cap and down.

Now you're ready to re-hang the blind. Use whatever jack leg method your builder uses and put it back up. You don't have to return the valances yet.

Take the dangling strings from the left and right ends and secure them on either existing tension buttons or new ones included with the kit. Pull the string taut and wrap it around the slot in the tension button and screw the center screw back in. Make sure to tension them similarly, or you'll slide the spring to one end of the top rail and it won't do any good if it's not near the center.

Once you get the strings taut and secured remove the ties or rubber bands holding the curtain folded up and pull down on the finger bar. If you did the tension right, the finger bar will stay straight regardless of how you pull off center.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008OAECW0

this is the kit I used for some of my raptor blind...

Put the valance back using whatever jack leg mounting method your builder uses...
stubones is offline   Reply With Quote