Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2022, 03:02 PM   #1
Davinnbrit09

Rear Strongarms - 364BHL

I did some searching of the forum, but didn’t quite see exactly what I was looking for. So, figured just as well, start a new thread.

We have a 2021 Cougar 364BHL, but this post doesn’t have to be specifically based on that. We have purchased the JT Strongarms kit that fits our coach. The fronts installed easily. There is tons on information on those. However installing of the rears leaves some to be desired. The instructions are useless. The video from Lippert shows on a bare frame with scissor jacks on the rear. For one, my frame isn’t bare, secondly, I don’t have scissors at the rear. So just as useless.

So what is everyone doing with the rears? I know the trick for swapping the foot pin, but I can’t seem to come up with anything on where to mount the upper brackets. Straight back to the frame? At an angle towards the center of the coach? The underbelly is concealed, so not know where any frame crossmembers are without exposing it. Not interested in dropping the underbelly, unless I needed to go in there for a repair. Also, on the camp side, behind the rear stabilizer is a set of hideaway stairs. I don’t know if those will be a conflict with the Strongarms.

I know there are some people that ignore the rear Strongarms, but I paid for them so I feel the need to install them.

TIA for your thoughts!
Davinnbrit09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 03:36 PM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

You'll need to angle toward the center of the coach from the landing gear footpads. I built a bracket to attach to the receiver tube, which is centerline at the rear of the trailer and just under the bumper. If you don't have a hitch receiver, you probably have a metal crossmember at the rear wall, probably "barely covered by the FILON rear panel. You might be able to attach a bracket to the center of that crossmember and mount the strongarm hardware to that bracker.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:33 PM   #3
Ribtip

Mine is like this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_133920.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	40042   Click image for larger version

Name:	20220604_133914.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	40043  
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 05:50 PM   #4
Davinnbrit09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ribtip View Post
Mine is like this.
So you added a strip of angle iron to mount to from rail to rail?
Old 06-04-2022, 05:54 PM   #5
Ribtip

i bought the camper used but that is the way the previous owner did it. Seems pretty strong
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2022, 05:58 AM   #6
Kuimonster

There is a frame rail i mounted ours to. Its slightly behind the rear jacks. I would provide pictures but its in the shop right now. One thing to watch for if you use this rail is that there is a tank right above it. So drill very very carefully. It's a PITA to tighten the set screws for the rear because of the stairs back there but it made a nice difference.
Old 06-14-2022, 12:46 PM   #7
Davinnbrit09

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuimonster View Post
There is a frame rail i mounted ours to. Its slightly behind the rear jacks. I would provide pictures but its in the shop right now. One thing to watch for if you use this rail is that there is a tank right above it. So drill very very carefully. It's a PITA to tighten the set screws for the rear because of the stairs back there but it made a nice difference.
Difference enough to even bother with? I only have the fronts on for now. Maybe when you get yours back from the shop you could take some petures? I'm in no hurry to put them on. I'm still even considering just using the side frame rails to avoid anything protected by underbelly (like the tanks, wiring or plumbing). I’ve identified what might be a crossbeam, by the ramset fasteners through the underbelly, but no idea what else is above it. Did you use a tap to thread the holes back there?