Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Towing
Click Here to Login

Old 05-23-2022, 08:44 AM   #81
CWtheMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
So often I read the "experts" talk about trucks (commercial) airing their tires according to the weight of the load. I've seen large freight terminals with hundreds of trailers. I've seen trucks lined up at the Port to load a container. I've seen deliveries at resturants under construction of tons of equipment. I've seen trucks load large equipment at construction sites. I've seen trucks loaded with coal or timber. But I've never seen a driver airing down, airing up, or even checking the truck's tires past hitting them with a "thumper".

Am I missing something? Just curious what the reality of this is.
Experiences differ. Just maybe the truck driver had properly inflated tires when the day began. At rest stops a habit of using a "thumper" may satisfy the curiosity about the tires still being inflated. A flat would surely be destroyed in a hurry and ruin his/her day.
CWtheMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 08:53 AM   #82
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
I never bought into the inflation by weight theory, every time the DW added a pair of shoes or I needed a couple more blocks for leveling in theory you'd have find scales to reweigh & adjust tire pressures AGAIN! Way too much weighing, pressuring up/down & too much headache doing both for 5 to 10 PSI.
That’s a bit of an extreme example. I doubt anyones weights would vary enough to make a difference from one trip to the next. About the only change that would be extreme enough to worry about changing tire pressures from the norm is full or empty tanks. Once you know the weights on your equipment and the pressures you want to run, that’s not difficult to adjust for either.

I agree with you that anything between the two pressures should be good and safe. For those who don’t want to deal with or care to understand it beyond that, that’s all they need.
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 09:04 AM   #83
Pathman

Thanks Texas, and thanks to the rest of you for all your info and insight. It’s becoming quite a learning experience that I’m sure will continue as time goes on.

As with most things, I try to find a reasonable balance, so it seems I’ll be doing that with this situation as well, but all the various responses are enlightening nonetheless.
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 10:10 AM   #84
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pathman View Post
Thanks Texas, and thanks to the rest of you for all your info and insight. It’s becoming quite a learning experience that I’m sure will continue as time goes on.

As with most things, I try to find a reasonable balance, so it seems I’ll be doing that with this situation as well, but all the various responses are enlightening nonetheless.
We fulltimed for 10+ years with everything we owned in the truck & rv, as mentioned I weighed the setup by individual wheel locations a couple times & the entire setup several times & each time we were within 25lbs +/- of the previous weight. We were at the max 16.5k lb GVWR, +/- that 25lbs, of the 5er so the tires were inflated to the max sidewall pressures, never a tire related issue on either truck or rv in over 300k miles.
Had a coworker in the past that always ran the LT tires on his F150 work truck at 30lbs so it rode good, didn't really help the Ford ride much, on the oilfield lease roads we drove frequently. As a result of that "good ride" he had flats 4 to 1 over everyone else with most times ruining a tire due to sidewall punctures & at highway speeds it felt like the tires were made of jello making it handle horribly, it scared the crap out you trying to stay between the ditches. Oh forgot to mention, he also carried 2 spares that most times were flat!
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:05 AM   #85
Pathman

You think he would have learned after the first 5-6 flats!LOL

I never had any intention of airing down for ride comfort, my question was always about airing up when towing, so I shouldn’t wind up like your coworker going through tires like lifesavers!
2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi 4:10 gears.
2022 Cougar Half Ton 29RLI
Pathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 11:30 AM   #86
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:

Tire threads seem to be enlightening and entertaining. pages and pages of "stuff" and everyone's an expert. Common sense and reason are often the best guide IMO.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2022, 04:59 PM   #87
lcarver02

Quote:
Well then, as a certified tire expert, can you please provide me (as the OP) a simple process for airing up/down my LRE truck tires with a max psi of 80#?

The advice and recommendations from many folks on here has been widely variable, so how is one to know who’s advice to adhere to?

In case you didn’t read all the posts from the start, my original question asked if it’s recommended to “air up” your tow vehicle tires when under load?

Before your post, my mind was set to simply follow the manufacturers placard and owners manual, which states 65PSI for all conditions towing or not.
But now you’ve thrown a wrench into that!LOL

What’s your advice given my question?

Thanks!
In one word - Yes
lcarver02 is offline   Reply With Quote