Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 01-07-2022, 05:54 AM   #1
sju1771

Unhappy Used TT Purchase RV Dealer Took Out Stuff

Ok, I am a newbie and trying to figure out where to post. Hope this is the right location. Purchased a used 2018 Colt 171 RK yesterday and noticed stuff in the storage is gone. When I initially looked at the trailer, I noticed a used sway bar and used surge protector in the locked storage box the previous owner left behind. Also if I remember correctly the Colt TT had two batteries. Now that I have it at home there is only one battery, the used sway bar and surge protector are GONE. Is there anyway I can verify by looking at the battery area that indeed it did have 2 batteries? Wouldn’t 2nd battery have another set of battery cables? I noticed the one battery installed has two wires going to each post. Feel like I am going crazy. Also noticed the wiper seal on top of the slide out is warped and needs replaced, and they didn’t clean gray & black tanks.
sju1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:59 AM   #2
sju1771

Unhappy Used TT Purchase RV Dealer Remove Stuff

Ok, I am a newbie and trying to figure out where to post. Hope this is the right location. Purchased a used 2018 Colt 171 RK yesterday and noticed stuff in the storage is gone. When I initially looked at the trailer, I noticed a used sway bar and used surge protector in the locked storage box the previous owner left behind. Also if I remember correctly the Colt TT had two batteries. Now that I have it at home there is only one battery, the used sway bar and surge protector are GONE. Is there anyway I can verify by looking at the battery area that indeed it did have 2 batteries? Wouldn’t 2nd battery have another set of battery cables? I noticed the one battery installed has two wires going to each post. Feel like I am going crazy. Also noticed the wiper seal on top of the slide out is warped and needs replaced, and they didn’t clean gray & black tanks.
sju1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:26 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

You purchased a used camper. You could ask about the missing items and that is your only recourse unless you can document they were there when the camper was presented. As fas as the slide seal, that should have been part of your inspection and noted the seals be repaired or replaced before taking delivery. The seal now becomes your problem on a used camper unless the dealer is feeling charitable. Dumping the tanks will become part of ownership.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #4
Texas Steve

Welcome to the forum! Just guessing, but I believe that your TT would only have 1 battery unless the previous owner had installed a 2nd one. Does everything 12V work in your trailer (lights, radio...)? If yes, then you should be good with the 1 battery. If no, post back and we may be able to help.

As far as the missing equipment that was in the trailer when you bought it, I would be talking to the dealer or owner. If it was specifically stated as part of the sale, then you need to claim it or get a refund for it.

Good luck and let us know.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:36 AM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Different dealers will treat used trailer sales different. One dealership I worked at would remove everything unless the buyer specified. One battery is standard so a second one would be on the buyer. I would have thought the tanks would have been cleaned but again it depends on the dealer.

As George said, you can ask but I wouldn’t count on anything.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 06:40 AM   #6
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sju1771 View Post
Well unfortunately that happens…if you signed on the dotted line you may have no recourse now..probably states “as is”

When I purchased my boat about 10 years ago it had a couple of flat screen televisions in it and a pretty sophisticated navigation system installed with Chesapeake bay software when I did the walkthrough and when I did the prepurchase survey
When I went to do the closing on it the owner ( sale was handled by a broker) had removed the TVs and the software for the nav units….he said they were never meant to be included in the sale…I wouldn’t sign until we got it all straightened out
Old 01-07-2022, 06:43 AM   #7
Laredo Tugger

Somewhere in the verbiage of your sale (most likely on the contract/paperwork) will be a statement explaining that the trailer will be sold "As is", meaning all accessories and service to the trailer are not included.
Why did they show a trailer with items in storage and dirty tanks ?
My guess is it was a trade in that they didn't have a chance to "service ". But when it "sold" they just removed all extras and away it went.
Did you inherit someone else's problem?
Probably not, but you do need to check EVERYTHING ( plugs, plumbing ,roof, Propane functions, ect...) before your first trip.
Do you have the correct power cord to hook up the trailer? A surge protector is highly recommended ( I know you had one but....) A electric EMS would be better.
Use a potable water hose WITH a regulator and filter.
Normal spigot pressures will rupture your water lines.
As for the batteries, I would think a 17 ft. trailer should only need one. If not you should see open connectors in the compartment and if you are already hooked up, those connectors would be "hot" and a problem.
As for the tanks. Use a separate hose for the black tank flush system (if available) and fill the tanks and flush. Without knowing how much is presently in the tanks, empty ( at the proper facilities) and refill and flush until clean water flows through both. Be careful with the flush system to not over flow. Monitor your valve open times. My empty black tanks can take a 4 minute flush before I drain them. Your tank may be smaller. If you have no flush system, then press the pedal on the toilet until it you hear the water level rise. It will sound different than when you started with the empty tank. You DO NOT want to SEE water rising.
For the gray tanks , just run shower and/ or sink faucet. Again when you see the water not draining, STOP and drain.
Good luck,
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:01 AM   #8
jasin1

This also looks like a duplicate post..maybe the mods will merge them
Old 01-07-2022, 07:24 AM   #9
JDDilly

As far as the sway bars (and I assume the hitch was there) the dealers I have dealt with will not sell used hitch parts. They say it is for liability. When I went from a TT to a 5er, I was going to leave the hitch. The salesman told me to keep it and sell it or give it away because they will put it in the scrap pile. He showed me in the back of their shop, they had a pile of at least 20 used hitches.

Not sure if that is done globally, but both dealers I have dealt with follow this practice.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 09:15 AM   #10
CedarCreekWoody

Are you sure the tanks aren't empty? Don't depend on the Guage to tell you. They are notoriously inaccurate. But be safe and connect your sewer hose before opening a valve!
And welcome to the forum!
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 08:27 AM   #11
Camp CA

If not too late request an inventory of all the TT's equipment and photos of every exposed equipment item. I am doing that on a slightly used Class A motorhome I am in buying.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 12:43 PM   #12
DG Colt 171

I have a 2018 Colt 171RK and it only has one battery and is only wired for one.
DG Colt 171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:08 PM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camp CA View Post
If not too late request an inventory of all the TT's equipment and photos of every exposed equipment item. I am doing that on a slightly used Class A motorhome I am in buying.
TALK TO THE DEALER OR SELLER !!!!!

One of the "common practices" that I've seen through the years on consignment sales or used vehicle sales where the dealer doesn't spend any money on trailer cleanup until he has a firm selling price. As an example, if he is making $4000 on the sale, he may wash and wax the trailer, but if he's only making $400, he may only vacuum the carpet and turn the mattress over. Very often, the sales price determines what happens when he brings the trailer into the service bay and preps it for delivery to the buyer. Many (maybe even most) dealers will, as a part of that prep for delivery, remove everything that isn't a part of the OEM or "documented accessory". All that stuff either goes in the trash or goes into a spot in the dealership where they use it to "grease the sales on future transactions"....

In other words, if it ain't on the sales contract and it ain't OEM items, there's a very good chance the dealership will remove it during delivery prep. It's part of "giving you a trailer that's as close to "factory fresh" as possible.....

I've seen many MANY buyers balk at accepting a trailer if there's an "old sewer hose or old sewer fittings in a storage bin... EWWWW I DON'T WANT SOMEBODY ELSES CRAPPY THINGS !!!!! Heard that more times than you'd imagine...

So many dealers will just eliminate any reason for a buyer to fuss by not having anything for them to find to fuss about..... If there's something that you want or think should be included in the deal, NOW is the time to settle that expectation, not after you've signed all the paperwork and while you were in the finance office, the dealer, as part of his normal "delivery prep" sent the cleaning crew out to empty all the storage bins and get rid of all the old, nasty things people raise cane about.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2022, 05:25 PM   #14
jawsmon

It's too late now but I always do a walk through and function test all systems before signing on the dotted line. When the dealer knows I will complete the purchase he is more inclined to repair any discrepancies right away. If he can't do it immediately then I get any problems that the dealer is responsible for specified in writing and schedule a service appointment to correct those items before taking delivery.

This is S.O.P. for every RV purchase, new or used.
jawsmon is offline   Reply With Quote