Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Lite Weight Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-05-2021, 04:52 PM   #1
Bustinbeards

2019 bullet insurance salvage rebuild

Hello everyone, new to the forum and to travel trailers. Never owned one before, but I came across a deal on one and my wife who has been wanting a camper wanted me to get it. I am a pretty handy fella so I figured why not.

I bought an insurance salvage 2019 Bullet 287QBS for 7k$. The fella I bought it from bought it while he was building a cabin and parked it under a pole barn since it was purchased. He Literally drive it off the lot new and to his property and parked it under the pole barn. He stayed in it on the weekend or every other weekend while he was building. He had it hooked to power, sewer and city water. At some point the kitchen sink developed a leak and by the time he got back to it the floors were soft down the middle. He filed and insurance claim and they totaled it. He ended up buying it back and once he finished his cabin he sold it to me. It is in excellent condition besides the floor in a few spots.

Everything works except the furnace, which I determined was the sail switch. I Ordered one of them From dometic for 50$ And will fix that along the way. Right Now I am ripping the floors out and replacing them. I will post up the progress pics and setbacks in this thread as I work through the process. Anyway, I look forward to the new forum and any advice anyone has along the way.
Bustinbeards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:03 PM   #2
Bustinbeards

Here are some Pics of the camper. I put plywood down over the soft spots in the middle.

Old 12-05-2021, 09:10 PM   #3
LHaven

Looks like a sweet unit and well kept, other than the leak. $7K gives you lots of headroom to repair whatever needs replacement, especially if you're handy. Have fun!
Old 12-05-2021, 09:32 PM   #4
wiredgeorge

I almost bought a salvage title RV once (didn't know it was salvage till the deal was about to happen). I called every insurance company I could find and none would insure it. Maybe you will have better luck in Alabama.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 04:16 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

Looking forward to reading about your progress. Do us all a favor in the future and break up a long post by using paragraphs. It makes it much easier to read and follow the text. As George stated you may find insuring a salvage titled trailer. I would check with your state department of motor vehicles and ask if when completed 6ou can have it inspected and re titled. Good luck with your project.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 11:19 AM   #6
Bustinbeards

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Looking forward to reading about your progress. Do us all a favor in the future and break up a long post by using paragraphs. It makes it much easier to read and follow the text. As George stated you may find insuring a salvage titled trailer. I would check with your state department of motor vehicles and ask if when completed 6ou can have it inspected and re titled. Good luck with your project.
I edited it, to break it up. I didn’t have any issues insuring it through my insurance company that has all our vehicles and home policies. I have applied for a rebuilt title and am waiting to hear back from the DMV to set up an inspection. I appreciate the luck I’m sure I’ll need it!
Old 12-06-2021, 11:35 AM   #7
Bustinbeards

Well I was able to take out the vinyl as one solid piece by cutting all along the edges. I might be able to put it back down and trim with quarter round. I did cut it at the threshold of the bathroom and back bedroom and will make a threshold out of some type of trim at the cuts to cover them up.

The subfloor is shot, so I am going to build a deck out of pressure treated 2x12, 2x8 and 2x6 and then lay the new luan over that. There was mold under the old luan, sprayed everything with mediclean to treat and kill the mold. Once I got it all opened up and treated I let it sit for about 2 weeks to dry and air out.
Old 12-06-2021, 11:37 AM   #8
Bustinbeards

Pics of progress.

Old 12-06-2021, 11:53 AM   #9
dutchmensport

Labor of love. Sweet!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:27 AM   #10
Bustinbeards

Well, it looks like I’ll be replacing one of the big slider windows on the slide as well. I Slid one open while working and it shattered in to a bizillion pieces everywhere. It looks like there is a screw in the window track as a stopper and there was no rubber or plastic grommet around it like all the other windows. I guess the corner of the sliding window hit it just right and shattered it. Dang, one step forward and two steps back. Guess I’ll be Calling the local dealership to get one ordered from keystone.

I broke the one on the left shortly after I took this pic.
Old 12-13-2021, 08:13 AM   #11
Bustinbeards

Rebuild is coming along nicely. Got a good bit of work done this and last weekend.

I got all the bad floor up and out and put in a pressure treated deck in between the aluminum frame. Mounted the decking with metal L brackets and large self tapping sheet metal screws. It works perfectly to hold the decking level with the aluminum frame.
I used some of a roll of solar guard foil backed insulation under the new decking for insulation and as a vapor barrier.

All the bad or soft spots are now solid as can be. Finally got Started on laying down the new luan.

Still waiting on the window I busted to arrive at the dealership so I can get it replaced. Anyone have any experience replacing a window unit on one of these campers? I’d listen to any advice anyone has. Lol.

Hopefully next weekend we will have some good weather and I can finish getting it back together and put down the vinyl and trim on the edges to finish it up.

Next project is to remove the furnace and check and replace the sail switch, I’d listen to anyone for advice on that too if anyone has any input!!

Thanks
Old 12-13-2021, 09:03 AM   #12
CampNBrew2

Nice work there, and sorry you have to do it. Repairing water damage is no fun.

Have you pulled up the vinyl under the sinks and cabinets as well? Even if not replacing the flooring you'll likely want to kill the mold.

I will caution that you have added quite a bit of weight by using solid lumber. Keep this in mind when loading/towing the trailer.

Good luck and enjoy!
2015 Honda CRF250L (Wifes)
Camping, home brewing, and dirt bikes!
CampNBrew2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:26 PM   #13
mikec557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bustinbeards View Post
Rebuild is coming along nicely. Got a good bit of work done this and last weekend.

Still waiting on the window I busted to arrive at the dealership so I can get it replaced. Anyone have any experience replacing a window unit on one of these campers? I’d listen to any advice anyone has. Lol.

Next project is to remove the furnace and check and replace the sail switch, I’d listen to anyone for advice on that too if anyone has any input!!

Thanks
Thank god I have no personal experience to relay to you. But I have watched several YouTube videos on how to replace RV windows. I have one I'd like to change out next spring.

Here's one of the better ones...

mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 07:13 AM   #14
Hblick48

Quote:

I had two windows broken when thieves broke into our rig. Local glass company came out and measured. Then they ordered custom tempered glass to fit. 5 days later they installed, looks like nothing ever happened.

Cost under $400 for both.
Hblick48 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 05:17 AM   #15
German Shepherd Guy

Having a Bullet myself, it is the weight I think you will have to think about when all is said and done. When you are finished a trip to the scales to find your true empty weight. Then a calculation on what is left and can the axles and springs and wheels and tires handle it once you are loaded again. Nice job so far, looks good. I did the same to a Zeplin (Keystone, do not think they make them anymore) but did not use solid lumber. Love the pictures and the updates.

German Shepherd Guy

2018 Keystone 26RBPR
2014 Suburban 2500, 6L with 3.73 rear

German Shepherd Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:25 AM   #16
Dallasrules

Thanks for posting this. I have a similar job to tackle.
Dallasrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 08:54 AM   #17
Ddaddyo

Quote:
I edited it, to break it up. I didn’t have any issues insuring it through my insurance company that has all our vehicles and home policies. I have applied for a rebuilt title and am waiting to hear back from the DMV to set up an inspection. I appreciate the luck I’m sure I’ll need it!
Did you inform your Insurance Company this unit has a Salvage/Rebuilt Title? It's your Duty to let them know. A friend ran into this with a Branded (Salvage/Rebuilt) Title on a Motorcycle. They found out about the Title after he was involved in an Accident. They denied any Claim. An Attorney told him he was out of luck.
The Underwriter explained it like this "One Insurance Company has already paid out for this, we're not going to Pay again".
Attorney told him some States can Prosecute you for Insurance Fraud.
Just an FYI.
Ddaddyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:23 AM   #18
KarenK

Our 97 Jayco was totaled by our insurance co (tire blew out the wheel well and floor) and we kept it. Repaired it and sold it. Husband was saying it would have a savage title. Well, the first family that looked at it bought it and we found out it did Not have a savage title. We're in MI.
Past
2006 Springdale 280 FWIKL-GL
1997 Jayco 253
KarenK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2021, 09:49 AM   #19
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddaddyo View Post
Did you inform your Insurance Company this unit has a Salvage/Rebuilt Title? It's your Duty to let them know. A friend ran into this with a Branded (Salvage/Rebuilt) Title on a Motorcycle. They found out about the Title after he was involved in an Accident. They denied any Claim. An Attorney told him he was out of luck.
The Underwriter explained it like this "One Insurance Company has already paid out for this, we're not going to Pay again".
Attorney told him some States can Prosecute you for Insurance Fraud.
Just an FYI.
See posts 4, 5 and 6. He claims NO PROBLEM insuring. Hope is is right with all the work he is putting in his camper.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2021, 04:17 PM   #20
Bustinbeards

Still chipping away at this floor! Here is this weekends progress.

Going to Let the vinyl relax from being rolled up. Then a little adhesive, trim, thresholds and quarter round.

Still waiting on a window though.

Tags
flooring repairs, heat problem, water damage, windows