Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 12-02-2021, 05:36 AM   #1
kguess

Extended season Hideout?

My 2011 Hideout 19 FLB has what seems to be an insulated underbelly covering. Would that be considered an extended season unit? If so, would it prevent water lines from freezing in temps around 25 ish degrees? I recently was camping in North Carolina when temps dropped to 25 and I was concerned about freezing lines but the temps only stayed below freezing for about 6-8 hours. I let water drip just to ease my mind.
kguess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:52 AM   #2
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by kguess View Post
My 2011 Hideout 19 FLB has what seems to be an insulated underbelly covering. Would that be considered an extended season unit? If so, would it prevent water lines from freezing in temps around 25 ish degrees? I recently was camping in North Carolina when temps dropped to 25 and I was concerned about freezing lines but the temps only stayed below freezing for about 6-8 hours. I let water drip just to ease my mind.
An "extended season" name is typically a sales gimmick meaning the underbelly is covered & most likely a 2" furnace duct blowing into it.
Above that covering is possibly a layer of Reflectix (shiny bubble wrap), but that unit is in the entry level category of RVs so it may or may not have that tiny bit of insulation.
In 25 degree weather with the furnace running, cabinet doors open at night you should be ok. Rather than let the faucet drip, filling you holding tank in the process, you'd better off filling the fresh water tank & using the pump instead of a hose to the faucet.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 07:55 AM   #3
Texas Steve

Welcome to the forum. I think you will find that the insulation and coroplast covering on the bottom of your TT wont provide much in the way of preventing pipes from freezing. I have a 2018 Hideout that does not have any ducting from the furnace to the underbelly which would help in keeping the plumbing from freezing.

If you will be camping in freezing weather, disconnect your city water and fill your fresh water tank and use the pump. Also keeping your cabinet doors open will help in keeping the pipes warm.
Texas Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 08:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I'd first look under your Hideout. If you can see the holding tanks exposed under the trailer, you do not have any "cold weather camping package". Our 2011 Springdale was "woefully inadequate for freezing temperatures".

I don't believe the 2011 Hideout models had coroplast (corrugated plastic) belly cover. Back then, most entry level Keystone trailers were "minimally built" with 2x2 and 2x3 spruce studding, insulated with small amounts of fiberglass insulation in the walls and floors that was then wrapped in DARCO (plastic reinforced film sheeting). On many of the Hideout and Springdale trailers of that era, the holding tanks were exposed under the trailer, open to the weather. It was, if I remember correctly, around 2015 or 2016 that Keystone started putting coroplast belly covers on those models...

Look at the decals next to the entry door. You may find a "cold weather package decal"... You can download the 2011 Hideout/Hornet brochure here: https://library.rvusa.com/brochure/2...Brochure_1.pdf

On page 7, you can see the floor and wall construction. It's listed as "Darco wrapped" and the r value for ceiling, walls and floor is R-7. Hideouts from that era were "fair weather, 3 season trailers" not typically designed for freeing weather.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hideout