Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 09-22-2021, 05:58 AM   #1
llehman

Arcadia 2021 interior lights not working on battery

Hi
we just had our 2021 Arcadia 3660RL 5th wheel delivered. When not connected to shore power our interior lights are not working on battery. We have checked the battery disconnect switch to ensure it is on but still nothing. any ideas? We are brand new rving and this is our 1st camper
llehman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:32 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

If the lights work on shore power, then the light circuits and the 12 volt "trailer system" are intact. That leaves the battery and the 2 or 3 "DC mini-breakers" mounted on the trailer bulkhead just aft of the A-frame at the front of the trailer.

I believe your Arcadia has the new "gigi box" battery connector system. Take the top off your battery box and follow the + battery cable from the battery post to the first connection. That should be the "gigi box". There's a switch on it. Make sure it's on. Then follow the wiring through that device and it will lead you to the DC mini-breakers. Make sure the connections on them are tight, not corroded and that battery power is present on BOTH sides of each mini-breaker. You'll need a DC test light or a multimeter to do the checks.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:33 AM   #3
wiredgeorge

Your battery may not be charged sufficiently or be bad. Remove the cables, let it sit for a bit (about 1/2 hour) and measure voltage using a multi meter. Should be mid 12s VDC. If not, it is either bad or not charging so take it out and get it load tested at an auto parts store. If bad, call the dealer you bought it from. It happens. Good luck! wg
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:39 AM   #4
llehman

thank you for the info.
Old 09-22-2021, 06:40 AM   #5
Ken / Claudia

This needs answered, do you know what is powered by 12v and what is powered by 120v.
The lights are 12v and many other items. Are all 12v powered items not working also? this will help to figure out what's wrong. If you need the list of 12v vs 120v ask.
But without knowing much at all, this could be the battery(s) not working either no good, or not connected properly. There are easy ways to check that. This could be fuse related. Instead of running around spending all day checking everything, lets narrow the problem down.
I hate to assume, but do the lights work when on shore power? It sounds like they do. During the PDI did everything work?
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 06:45 AM   #6
llehman

everything works when plugged in to shore power. fuses have been checked and all good. nothing works on 12v. Have contacted the dealer and they are getting back to us. sorry for my ignorance, what is PDI? we are brand new to all of this :-)
Old 09-22-2021, 07:14 AM   #7
flybouy
Site Team

You stste you had it delivered. So I'm guessing the transport driver set it down on the ground. Have you checked to make sure it has a battery? If nothing works on battery but does on shore power than that narrows down the issue to residing between the battery and the main distribution panel.

Disconnect the shore cable. Start at the DC input cables inside the power distribution center. If there's no 12v dv present then start at the battery. Confirm it's present and has sufficiant voltage. If that's good follow the cables. First confirm the negative cable is connected to the frame. If that's good follow the positive cable until you find out where the circuit is broken.

This will require a VOM or 12v dc test light and a length of wire to extend the ground wire on your test device. If this is all Greek to you then call the dealer and see if they send a mobile tech but be prepared to pay out of pocket if they stand firm on "you have to bring it in" if you don’t have the means to tow it.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:33 AM   #8
llehman

thank you for your response. yes, we had delivered as no hitch in our truck yet. Waiting to hear back from the dealer.
Old 09-22-2021, 07:51 AM   #9
Ken / Claudia

A PDI is really a must even for me after having purchased 7-8 RVs. The dealer or service person shows and explains how you turn everything on and off. It's also the time when you find out what really works and what needs fixed. On a RV something always needs fixed.
Maybe the dealer will send someone out. That takes 2-4 hours to get it done right. It's my understanding they figure in that PDI time on every unit sold.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 07:55 AM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

It sounds like you aren't sure about whether there's even a battery in the battery box. I'd first walk to the battery compartment, take the top off the battery box and peek inside. If there's no battery, stop troubleshooting, you've found your issue.....

If there's a battery, is it connected "red cable to + and black cable to -" ???

With answers to this, we can go to the next step.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2021, 10:15 AM   #11
llehman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
A PDI is really a must even for me after having purchased 7-8 RVs. The dealer or service person shows and explains how you turn everything on and off. It's also the time when you find out what really works and what needs fixed. On a RV something always needs fixed.
Maybe the dealer will send someone out. That takes 2-4 hours to get it done right. It's my understanding they figure in that PDI time on every unit sold.
thanks.. we did the PDI, but the rv was hooked up to power, didn't even think to ask them how things work on battery..

Tags
battery, light, lights