Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2021, 07:01 PM   #1
traynoral

RV Converter Directly to Battleborn Batteries

I just upgraded my fifth wheel to 2 100AH Battleborn Lithium batteries. I also upgraded to a Progressive Dynamics PD9160ALV Converter/Charger - 60 Amp. This charger does have a 13.6 float mode which I guess is new for 2021.

When the battery is in float mode, I am on getting around 13.3 volts and lower amperage than I would expect. It is to the point that it is actually slowly losing SOC while plugged in at the campground. I believe there are two reason for this, 1. because of the draw of my 12 volt compressor fridge (which I am currently in the process of getting fixed) and 2. because the 6 ga. wire that the converter is using has too long of a distance to go and it is having voltage and amperage drop.

I am fine with upgrading the gauge of the wiring, but with how they run these wires that is likely going to be a lot easier said than done.

Does anyone see any problem with me connecting the converter upfront near the battery bank and connecting it directly to the batteries rather than going through the normal distribution panel near the breaker box? I feel like this would fix the problem with the length of the run more easily than any other way. There is a 110 outlet that I could plug the converter into near there to power it.

Any thoughts, negative or positive (no pun intended) on this would be greatly appreciated.
traynoral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:10 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

If you move the converter to the batteries then you’ll need to run 12V wiring to the distribution panel. Would it mean voltage drop to the 12V stuff?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:15 PM   #3
JRTJH
Site Team

Since they are lithium batteries and don't "shed explosive or poisonous gasses", why not move the batteries to the converter/charger location and then remount the inverter (I guess you also have that equipment) closer to the converter/charger/battery bank.... That way, you're consolidating all three in the same vicinity as the DC power distribution panel.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:20 PM   #4
traynoral

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
If you move the converter to the batteries then you’ll need to run 12V wiring to the distribution panel. Would it mean voltage drop to the 12V stuff?
I could be mistaking, but I don't believe that I would need to run any additional wiring to the distribution panel. The 12 volt components (slides, lights, etc.) would just run off the batteries as if I would not hooked up to shore power and the converter would just charge the batteries. Those batteries and current wiring seem to be handling that fine.

Am I getting that right?
Old 08-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #5
traynoral

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Since they are lithium batteries and don't "shed explosive or poisonous gasses", why not move the batteries to the converter/charger location and then remount the inverter (I guess you also have that equipment) closer to the converter/charger/battery bank.... That way, you're consolidating all three in the same vicinity as the DC power distribution panel.
Always a good thought, but there is no room to move the batteries over there.
Old 08-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #6
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by traynoral View Post
I could be mistaking, but I don't believe that I would need to run any additional wiring to the distribution panel. The 12 volt components (slides, lights, etc.) would just run off the batteries as if I would not hooked up to shore power and the converter would just charge the batteries. Those batteries and current wiring seem to be handling that fine.

Am I getting that right?
Yeah, I guess you may be right. I like John’s idea.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2021, 07:44 PM   #7
traynoral

So I assume it is safe to say that there are really no issues with connecting the converter directly to the batteries, correct?
Old 08-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #8
traynoral

Well, I went ahead and tried it and have been testing it for the last two days. It appears to have solved my issue and does not appear to cause any other issues. The converter is now only about a foot away from the batteries and giving me the extra 0.20 or so volts that is needed to maintain the float charge of the batteries. So to recap, before my battery kept losing SOC while plugged into shore power. It actually got as low as around 50% SOC. Now once the converter gets into float mode it maintains about 13.5 volts and keeps the battery between 99.6 and 99.8% SOC.

Thanks for your input! I will post if there are any other changes.

Tags
converter