Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 07-04-2021, 11:00 AM   #1
Scttw

Quick question on flex tape for preventative maintenance

Good day,

I have a TPO roof on my 2014 Alpine.

No leaks - I protect it annually.

On the 2 ends where the seams join with that thick gasket stuff, I’m considering to put a 12” or 8” wide flex tape from painted side well past the calking - end to end. They do sell a both sizes in 10 foot lengths. Then I’ll calk the edges of the tape. The calking is starting to see some cracks and I just feel to completely cover them can’t hurt.

Has anyone done this? Just looking for opinions as preventative maintenance!

Thanks in advance!

Scott
Scttw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 12:12 PM   #2
Campermike

Just use self-leveling dicor to go over the cracking "caulk" (which is likely self-leveling dicor). It is regular maintenance, simple and effective. It is also relatively easy to remove if necessary for future repairs... flex tape may make repairing any future issue more challenging.
Old 07-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #3
NH_Bulldog

Flex tape may not be compatible with the roof membrane. Using an unapproved material could deteriorate the membrane and/or void the 10 year roof warranty. I would stick with Dicor
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:09 PM   #4
travelin texans

There may be an occasion to use Flex Tape to repair with, but IMHO there's no where on a rv that falls in that category.
There are specific caulkings & sealants for rvs & I don't think they'll fall into the "as seen on tv" section.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2021, 01:13 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
There may be an occasion to use Flex Tape to repair with, but IMHO there's no where on a rv that falls in that category.
There are specific caulkings & sealants for rvs & I don't think they'll fall into the "as seen on tv" section.
Got that right!!!

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 03:50 AM   #6
Scttw

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the replies!
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 07-05-2021, 06:00 AM   #7
ChuckS

I won a 2014 Alpine and I would not tape over the ends of the TPO membrane where they meet at the front cap and rear cap trim strips…

The screws DO back out from time to time on those trim strips and need attention.. with tape on there you can’t likely get t9 the screws without damaging the TPO..

Just so routine maintenance at least once very four months with a tube of self leveling sealant and you won’t have troubles..

Also with the age of that Alpine have you tightened all the screws on the slide out roofs out at the edge junction? If not they are way overdue and a reseal of that entire area with new four inch wide Eternabond tape is needed

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2021, 06:23 AM   #8
Scttw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
I won a 2014 Alpine and I would not tape over the ends of the TPO membrane where they meet at the front cap and rear cap trim strips…

The screws DO back out from time to time on those trim strips and need attention.. with tape on there you can’t likely get t9 the screws without damaging the TPO..

Just so routine maintenance at least once very four months with a tube of self leveling sealant and you won’t have troubles..

Also with the age of that Alpine have you tightened all the screws on the slide out roofs out at the edge junction? If not they are way overdue and a reseal of that entire area with new four inch wide Eternabond tape is needed
Thanks Chuck.

My 3 front tip outs are completely protected. 2 are inside my 23x12 Florida room and the other is under my hard top extension. The 3 on the back I have hard completely sealed roof covers. I likely can't get at any screws if they are located on the tip out roofs themselves.
80 x 175 lot
Pics of our Setup
Old 07-05-2021, 07:13 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scttw View Post
Thanks Chuck.

My 3 front tip outs are completely protected. 2 are inside my 23x12 Florida room and the other is under my hard top extension. The 3 on the back I have hard completely sealed roof covers. I likely can't get at any screws if they are located on the tip out roofs themselves.
Based on your photos, your trailer is no longer a "travel trailer" but is a "permanently installed recreational home" ......

I'd suspect the rules that apply to maintenance on a "rolling mobile box" probably are not the same as the rules that apply to your "non-mobile box"....

That said, with no movement, many of the maintenance issues we face when towing an RV, no longer apply to you....

So, the question becomes: Are the repair items "compatible" with the existing components on my trailer?.... I can't tell you if Flex Seal will "melt/dissolve" the TPO or EPDM roofing membrane on your trailer or not.... That's one for Alpha Systems, DICOR and the manufacturers of Flex Seal. Their "chemists" might have the answers....

In the meantime, I'd stick to what the roofing manufacturer recommends to maintain their product....

Sort of like "Is extra virgin olive oil better than regular olive oil as a replacement for Motorcraft oil in my F250 ????

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
maintenance, vent