Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-30-2021, 04:36 AM   #1
gwilkrrs

Water heater question

So this am I woke up to know hot water- all on- son left switch on last night so we kept water warm while we slept-
Propane on, indoor switch on, I turned switch off for a second and back on inside and a second later heard the burner ignite- took the dog for a walk and came back to see trickle of water from side of rv at water heater. Trickle out of blow off, went inside and had HOT HOT water. Before the trip I replaced the anode rod

Wondering if just freak situation or bigger trouble ahead

07 keystone cougar and relatively new campers…….
gwilkrrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 04:54 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Did you purge the air out of the water lines after replacing the anode?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 05:01 AM   #3
gwilkrrs

Ooof great question.
After replacing the anode I then dewinterized the rig so I think that purged all air but maybe not?
Old 06-30-2021, 05:15 AM   #4
flybouy
Site Team

You want to open all hot and cold faucets when purging the lines. Don’t forget outside fixtures like outdoor shower and kitchen if so equipped. Let the water run until a good steady flow of water remains constant. This may take several minutes. When purging the air DO NOT OPEN THE PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE. A pocket of air at the top of the water heater tank is designed to provide an area for expansion when the water heats up.

If the system has been properly bleed of sir then I would turn off the heater, let it cool down, then turn the heater on again. If it overheats again than start checking the t'stat on the water heater.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 01:03 PM   #5
notanlines

G, both your 115V and propane each will have a thermostat behind the plate with the reset buttons. Your friendly RV dealer should have both in an assortment of temperatures.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 04:44 AM   #6
gwilkrrs

thanks-
flushed lines-
this am went thru same thing- i noticed on the wall switch panel a red light was on next to the red switch for the heater-
i turned off switch, waited a second and turned back on and the light went off and heater kicked on.

my paper work doesnt mention this panel (tank levels and WH and pump)

likely a limit switch like mentioned-

almost thru this trip so repair search when we return
Old 07-02-2021, 05:48 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

That light is most likely the DSI fault light. If the burner doesn’t ignite after 3 tries, it will go into fault mode and that light is telling you that’s the issue. If turning it off and then back on it then lights, you may have sparker/flame sensor issues.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 05:55 AM   #8
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
You want to open all hot and cold faucets when purging the lines. Don’t forget outside fixtures like outdoor shower and kitchen if so equipped. Let the water run until a good steady flow of water remains constant. This may take several minutes. When purging the air DO NOT OPEN THE PRESSURE RELIEF VALVE. A pocket of air at the top of the water heater tank is designed to provide an area for expansion when the water heats up.

If the system has been properly bleed of sir then I would turn off the heater, let it cool down, then turn the heater on again. If it overheats again than start checking the t'stat on the water heater.
Don't forget that while completely okay to run both electric and propane during heavy use it is not advisable to use both continuously. Every time I forget and leave the propane on after our showers the pressure relief valve will seep slightly.. as soon as I turn off the propane side of the heater it goes back to normal quickly.

Tags
heat, heater, water, water heater