Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 06-03-2021, 06:00 AM   #1
M Behn

wheel well material

What kind of wheel well material did Keystone use on my 2007 Raptor? it's not a rigid plastic.Is it replaceable and with what?
M Behn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 06:33 AM   #2
JRTJH
Site Team

Unless there was a "DARCO" shortage the day your wheel wells were wrapped on the assembly line, they are covered with a waterproof, lightweight black fabric very similar to the "cheap blue plastic tarps" you can find at Harbor Freight for $3 for the 5'x7' size. DARCO is a thin "polyester mesh" that's coated on both sides by a "super thin polyethylene film" (think reinforced 8 mil trash bags)...

The DARCO is laid on top of the chassis, the floor is placed on top of that and the edges are "folded over the floor, stapled to the top of the floor and the sidewalls are then installed, "locking" the DARCO in place.

It is not removeable or replaceable. YOU need to be pro-active in protecting your wheel wells. If you consider that every rock picked up by the tire tread, slung against the DARCO has the potential to poke "pinholes in the fabric", it becomes apparent that by the end of the first season of towing your trailer, you have a "mesh mess" protecting the wood above your wheelwells.

Consider hanging one of those thin, cheap blue tarps on the clothesline or draped over the chain link fence in the back yard and give your kids a bucket of rocks to throw at the tarp. How long before it's no longer a tarp, but becomes a "hole filled sheet of junk".... That's what happens every time you tow your trailer over a road with sand, pebbles and small rocks......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:49 AM   #3
Volkster305

Has anyone had success lining their wheelwells with something more durable?
Volkster305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 09:52 AM   #4
Gegrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkster305 View Post
Check out this thread for all the information you will need, including photos of John's successful repair.

https://www.keystoneforums.com/forum...ad.php?t=39472
Gegrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 10:17 AM   #5
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkster305 View Post

I lined the wheel wells on my last trailer with 1/8" uhmw after using it to repair the darco on my slides. I had metal edges all around so I could use self tapping screws to secure it then covered the edges and screws with black Proflex.

On this trailer I have all the uhmw sitting in the shop to line the wheel wells but just haven't haven't found the time to get it done. Hopefully in the next few days. IMO it's a must on any wheel well with darco used as a covering. It is just too flimsy (for most anything). Unfortunately after conversations with Keystone product line managers it appears it is going to stay so we need to be proactive. Stones, road debris - almost anything down to sand seems like will perforate the material then it just lets moisture into the wheel well, traps it between the darco and wood bottom then it sits and slowly eats up the bottom (and floor). Then in 3-4 years you're pulling out the floor.

Edit: Changed the material used to uhmw instead of hdpe. In a rush to get to dr. appt. and put brain in neutral.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2021, 11:03 AM   #6
Volkster305

Thanks!

My darco is shredded from a blowout. That thread really showed me how important it is to have a good seal!
Volkster305 is offline   Reply With Quote