Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 06-02-2021, 07:46 PM   #21
Bingo 57

Fridge

Thank you very much. Last thing on there troubleshooting is the board. I'm still holding out hope for the bigger hammer prospect.... Priced the board out & there running around a hundred dollars, Again thanks I well do a follow up ASAP.

Bingo
Bingo 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2021, 04:50 PM   #22
Bingo 57

Fridge

So I bit the bullet & brought in a new board, Now I didn't hear any difference but I am hard of hearing or as DW says I have "selective hearing" I'll check it tomorrow after work, I just got it installed a few minutes ago.
Bingo
Old 06-03-2021, 05:00 PM   #23
LHaven

Just check it at night -- you should be able to perceive the difference in flame size even if the flame is obscured from line of sight.
Old 06-03-2021, 06:21 PM   #24
Bingo 57

Fridge

I figured I should be able to feel the coils heating up in 3 to 4 hrs.
Old 06-03-2021, 07:02 PM   #25
Bingo 57

Fridge

Well, Just did a check & not looking good. I can see the flame & it looks more like a pilot. ?? Any other ideas..
Old 06-04-2021, 06:45 AM   #26
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Well, Just did a check & not looking good. I can see the flame & it looks more like a pilot. ?? Any other ideas..
The flame is "essentially nothing more than a pilot in size"... Here's a photo of the typical Dometic refrigerator flame size. Keep the "size in perspective" by comparing it to the burner tube, the thermocouple size and the ignitor size. Don't let the "computer screen size" affect your perception. Also here's a link to a "properly functioning burner flame".

Also, here is a link to some fairly thorough Absorption refrigerator gas cooling system troubleshooting. Note, if the gas flame is "too small" or "not right", after a GENTLE cleaning, the next step is not in the refrigerator, but in verifying the gas supply by checking the regulator on the propane system. Here's that link: https://www.arprv.com/dometic-fridge-flame.php
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DOMETIC REFRIGERATOR FLAME SIZE.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	33928  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 04:18 PM   #27
Bingo 57

Fridge

Boy I cant thank you enough! I'll be on this 1st thing in the morning. I would be tonight but I'm wiped just got off a 12 hr shift. It looks promising ! Can honestly say I was more than a little disappointed that the controller didn't take care of it. But at this age I'm stubborn enough to keep pounding away. Again I do thank you for all the help!
Bingo
OK so I've been trying to add a pic of my flame, sorry just not smart enough with this chromebook. But it looks nothing like the pics you provided. I'll keep trying.
Old 06-05-2021, 12:52 PM   #28
Bingo 57

Fridge

OK, another fun day removed the entire burner assy & blew it out with the compressor. Nada,, so knowing this may be a pressor issue and having a spare
regular I went ahead & put that on. Nada, so got me a new burner assy on the way. Kinda last straw.
Old 06-06-2021, 09:55 AM   #29
FlyboyD8

It is not uncommon in my area for the gas orifice to get a layer of oxidation in it and it cuts the flow of gas down, the correct way to clean it is soak in isoprople alcohol and then blow it out with air. This has been the cure for many campers in my area where the symptoms were the same as yours, yes you have flame but not enough flame.

Clean the orifice and the flame will be hotter!
FlyboyD8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 10:10 AM   #30
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyboyD8 View Post
It is not uncommon in my area for the gas orifice to get a layer of oxidation in it and it cuts the flow of gas down, the correct way to clean it is soak in isoprople alcohol and then blow it out with air. This has been the cure for many campers in my area where the symptoms were the same as yours, yes you have flame but not enough flame.

Clean the orifice and the flame will be hotter!
Good advice by FlybouyD8.

A caution !!! Do NOT push anything, not even a "brush bristle" down the orifice. There is a "micro-drilled ruby jet" that you'll destroy if you try to clean it "physically"... Just use alcohol, let it soak and blow it out with "minimal compressed air"... This is one place where "more muscle" is going to destroy all efforts to fix the problem......

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-06-2021, 10:12 AM   #31
jim1

Check the solenoid on the gas valve, it might be sticking or not opening all the way. I just replaced a gas valve on my hot water tank on a 2-1/2 year old 5ver. 1 of the 2 solenoids was stuck and wouldn't open so no gas. It took a while and trial and error to figure that one out. I did take the valve solenoids apart and bench tested after cleaning and they worked like new, so I guess I have a spare now. Good luck!
Retired-Lovin' 7 Saturdays a week!!
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2021, 01:06 PM   #32
Bingo 57

Thanks all for the valuable input! I did "soak" this figuring Id do more damage than good if I tried to push something down that orifice. I've got a new assy on its way in & will do a follow up posting of course.
Bingo
Old 06-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #33
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bingo 57 View Post
Thanks all for the valuable input! I did "soak" this figuring Id do more damage than good if I tried to push something down that orifice. I've got a new assy on its way in & will do a follow up posting of course.
Bingo
Yup I have a pilot orifice drill set and let me tell you it is a micro difference between orifice sizes.. if you try to ream it out you may end up two or three sizes over the spec and have way too much of a flame. Doesn’t take much
Old 06-10-2021, 04:57 PM   #34
Bingo 57

Fridge

OK so the promised up-date.. New burner assy just installed, Happy dance was performed shortly there after! Had I not had the pic's provided in this foram I wouldn't have known what to look for. Thanks to all for the valuable input / insight & those pictures. Safe travels to all!
Bingo
Old 06-10-2021, 06:51 PM   #35
JRTJH
Site Team

That's great news !!! Now, keep your adult beverages cool and enjoy the rest of the camping season.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 06-21-2021, 05:40 PM   #36
Bingo 57

Fridge

Just got back from 4 days 5 nights in the grate outdoors "boondocking" & not a skip with the fridge! Kept the adult beverages just right! Again thank for all the help here!
Bingo

Tags
fridge