Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2021, 09:47 AM   #1
Dege

A few questions about slide-outs and chains

We took delivery of our Cougar Half-Ton 24RDS yesterday and we a long PDI and had a very good orientation. It was such a long day and we did take a ton of notes but we didn't manage to absorb everything.

I remember the guy giving us the briefing saying that the slide outs should go out before you hit auto level. At least I think he said slide outs should be out. So I'm wondering if the slide outs should be out or in for leveling? And should they be out or in when retracting?

We had the Reese Goosebox installed and with a bed view camera it was very easy to hook up. The question I have is should the chains be crisscrossed like a travel trailer or can they just be hooked up straight?

There are a ton more questions but I think we will discover the answers as we start using it. I'll be back here with more questions I'm sure
Dege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 09:51 AM   #2
jfk69

I always level before putting out the slide outs.
jfk69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:11 AM   #3
bobbecky

Leveling is best done with the slides in. Chains should always be crossed and should not be so long that they drag on the pavement. Also, never twist the changes be to make them shorter. If your hitch ever failed with the chains twisted, the chain could easily break being twisted.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 10:18 AM   #4
xrated

Levelling BEFORE putting the slides out is an accepted practice that almost everyone does.
Excessive payload capacity is a wonderful thing

"If it ain't Fast....It ain't Fun"
xrated is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 11:02 AM   #5
Dege

Got it. Slides stay in til leveling is done and by extension they come in before retraction. As to the chains, it's a Reese Goosebox hitch so the excess chain sits in the bed of the truck with no reason to twist. I will cross them though.

Thanks for the answers. This forum is great source of information!
Old 05-29-2021, 12:59 PM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

You don't cross the chains on a fith wheel. The chains are to keep the trailer from leaving the truck bed in case of a hitch disconnect. A travel trailer should have the chains crossed to "catch" and carry the front of the trailer to prevent the ball coupler from digging into the pavement.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 03:41 PM   #7
gearhead

^^This x 2.
Main thing with the chains is be thinking where you connect the break away cable. You want the break away to disconnect and activate your brakes before the chains run out of ...chain.
It's going to be one awful mess if you ever do have the 5th come unhitched, but having the trailer flopping around without the brakes on will be worse.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
2023 CanAm Defender SXS
gearhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 04:37 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
^^This x 2.
Main thing with the chains is be thinking where you connect the break away cable. You want the break away to disconnect and activate your brakes before the chains run out of ...chain.
It's going to be one awful mess if you ever do have the 5th come unhitched, but having the trailer flopping around without the brakes on will be worse.

^^^If anyone has ever tried to pull a vehicle with a rope or chain imagine doing it without someone in that pulled vehicle. That person applies the brakes and makes stopping the tow vehicle much easier and manageable. Think about that truck/car/trailer running around behind you untethered and every time you touch the brakes "here it comes" right at you. Shorten the leash if it's too long...
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2021, 07:09 PM   #9
Dege

Wow. Mind blown. To be honest I couldn't figure out why I would cross the chains. I mean I crossed the them on my travel trailer because I've heard it all my life and I've always seen it done that way, not because I knew why. With the fifth wheel I didn't see what purpose it served to cross them. That's why I came here to look for help. I read the installation PDF from Reese's website. They say to make sure you use the chains in states that require it. No comment at all as to cross or don't cross. You guys have given me the full story. So time to do a 180 and NOT cross the chains. All I can say is thank you. And my DW and grandchildren thank you.
Old 05-30-2021, 04:49 AM   #10
chuckster57
Site Team

Chains ( in states that require them) are required with the Goosebox and the Anderson. “Regular” fifth wheels don’t have this requirement.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2021, 05:46 AM   #11
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dege View Post
Wow. Mind blown. To be honest I couldn't figure out why I would cross the chains. I mean I crossed the them on my travel trailer because I've heard it all my life and I've always seen it done that way, not because I knew why. With the fifth wheel I didn't see what purpose it served to cross them. That's why I came here to look for help. I read the installation PDF from Reese's website. They say to make sure you use the chains in states that require it. No comment at all as to cross or don't cross. You guys have given me the full story. So time to do a 180 and NOT cross the chains. All I can say is thank you. And my DW and grandchildren thank you.

The requirement for the use of chains on a gooseneck or Andersen type hitch is hodgepodge across the states. When I installed the Andersen I just added chains as well and use them when I hook up. I don't want to be "hooking" and "unhooking" them every time I cross a state line nor do I want to run afoul of the law somewhere because they don't require them in TX.
Old 06-07-2021, 03:45 PM   #12
Poppy

I was told by the parts salesman at the RV store hat chains were required in Texas and a couple of other states. He couldn’t remember the other states. This was for the Anderson Ultimate hitch.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 04:03 PM   #13
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post
I was told by the parts salesman at the RV store hat chains were required in Texas and a couple of other states. He couldn’t remember the other states. This was for the Anderson Ultimate hitch.

Here is a link from RVIA note that 5th wheel kingpin assemblies are not required to have chains;

https://www.rvia.org/system/files/me...equirement.pdf

My local DPS officer said the same thing...but; the Andersen does use the goose ball in the bed even though it does not use a standard "gooseneck" attachment to the trailer which I think causes undue stress on an RV. Use of the goose ball causes confusion (even though the attachment point is elevated and secured similar to a normal 5th wheel hitch) among folks including LEOs, that is why I said I put them on regardless. They are no problem to install and just a bit of hassle to connect/disconnect but nothing like being cited for not having them.
Old 06-07-2021, 05:33 PM   #14
Poppy

Granted, some Anderson hitches use the ball in the bed, but mine sets on rails.
My truck does not have a ball.
Poppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2021, 05:44 PM   #15
sourdough
Site Team

It still uses a ball on top and an adapter vs the regular kingpin attachment thus the "further" confusion.
Old 06-08-2021, 02:11 PM   #16
KimNTerry

I could never get a straight answer on the chaons required or not question for my Andersen. I look at it this way.

Set of chains to use with my Andersen Hitch $65

Never getting a ticket for not having chains by an overzealous LEO looking to write tickets and generate revenue for his jurisdiction - priceless.

It's cheap insurance against a silly citation.

2016 Cougar 1/2 Ton Series 283 RETWE
2018 F150 EcoBoost FX4 Lariat Max-Tow and Heavy Duty Payload Package
KimNTerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 08:13 AM   #17
Roy Finchville

I always put slide outs out or in when trailer is in level position.
Roy Finchville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:54 AM   #18
adeakins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dege View Post
We took delivery of our Cougar Half-Ton 24RDS yesterday and we a long PDI and had a very good orientation. It was such a long day and we did take a ton of notes but we didn't manage to absorb everything.

I remember the guy giving us the briefing saying that the slide outs should go out before you hit auto level. At least I think he said slide outs should be out. So I'm wondering if the slide outs should be out or in for leveling? And should they be out or in when retracting?

We had the Reese Goosebox installed and with a bed view camera it was very easy to hook up. The question I have is should the chains be crisscrossed like a travel trailer or can they just be hooked up straight?

There are a ton more questions but I think we will discover the answers as we start using it. I'll be back here with more questions I'm sure
You will want your weight where it will be when leveled. So, slides out, then level.
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2021, 09:58 AM   #19
jasin1

I read on here sometime in the past that it’s not good to only open a slide partway? Like to access the refrigerator as the floor of the slide is best supported when fully extended.. is that the general consensus? It does seem like the interior trim of the slide is supported against the exterior wall and helps make everything solid
Old 06-10-2021, 10:12 AM   #20
adeakins

My experience has been that where electro slide motors are involved, it can throw the motors operating the slides out of Synch. Generally there are two motors per slide. Hydraulic slides aren’t as sensitive. Again, based on my experience and observations. Typically, if you have a residential refrigerator, that slide will be hydraulic
adeakins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide