Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Repairs & Maintenance
Click Here to Login

Old 05-28-2021, 05:54 AM   #1
cniemi1

Slide out issue

I recently purchased a used 2008 Keystone Outback Sydney Edition 32BHDS. When I first brought it home I tried to open the 2 slides while only connected to a battery. They did not move. I found that power was not getting through the first auto-reset breaker (50A) so I jumped over it and the slides came out. I called around trying to find a new auto-reset but nobody seemed to have any so I ordered one of Amazon but it turned out to be a 30A and I installed it anyways. After installation of the new auto-reset, the slides did nothing even when I jumped over them. Everything else 12V seems to work in the trailer except the slides. I thought that maybe it was because the breaker was not large enough for the amount of power required for the slides so I replaced it with a 50A and still nothing. I tested all the wires and connections at the breakers and they all sees to be getting 12V. I tested at the switch which seems to be getting 12V so then I was worried that maybe the motor blew when I jumped it. I found the motor underneath the trailer where I had to cut out some of the plastic underbelly to get to it. I tested the power there while my wife flipped the switch but I only got 3V when she did, I'm unsure if that was because I didn't have a good connection/ground or if something else in the wiring along the way has caused that. There is no noise or click or any sign that the motor moves at all.

Any ideas or hopefully something simple that I am just missing?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
cniemi1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:08 AM   #2
flybouy
Site Team

Welcome to the forum. When someone changed /replaces something and then it doesn't work the first place to look is where you worked on it. Are you sure you didn't miss a connection? The breakers do have a battery side and a load side, have you checked that the connections are correct?
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #3
LewisB

Putting a jumper over a breaker is never a wise idea.

As Marshall has pointed out, check the voltage at all your connections. If you are getting voltage on the D/S side of your breaker but nothing at the motor, run a temporary wire from the breaker under the trailer back to the motor. That will tell you if your wiring is bad and allow you to test the motor.

Good luck.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:24 AM   #4
cniemi1

Thanks for the fast response! I don't think I missed a connection, however when I went to take apart the connections most ring terminals broke due to corrosion so I had to replace them. I was unable to get the same large blue rings terminals that were on the battery cables so I used copper lugs instead (could this be the issue?) I have attached a before and after photo of the wiring at the breakers.

*The disconnected wire in before photo is the positive from the battery which was obviously connected but I realized I should take the photo after I had already disconnected.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5083.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	267.3 KB
ID:	33845   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5223.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	33846  
Old 05-28-2021, 06:47 AM   #5
flybouy
Site Team

In the "after photo you can't see all the connections to compare them to the "before" connections. I will say that on the "after" photo it appears as if the one white wire is fastened to the frame beneath the circuit breaker. If it is, that's not a good way to attach a ground.

Edit: On the very bottom of the "after" photo it looks like a ring terminal attached to the frame with a rusty bolt anmd rusted frame surrounding it. That ground need to be emmoved, cleaned well, and the ring terminal inspected for corrosion inside and most likely needs to be replaced.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 06:52 AM   #6
cniemi1

I just put the smaller white ground where it was before which was under the breaker, I agree this is probably not the best spot for a ground. And yea the main ground from the battery is pretty corroded, I will try clean and/or replace it. Thanks.

Tags
slide, slide out