Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Technical Corner
Click Here to Login

Old 03-24-2021, 10:03 AM   #1
dkirk_32

Key tv

Searched the threads and didn't quite see my particular problem. I have a 2021 330RL with a Key TV system. `I have the trailer set up on a permanent lot a couple hours from my dealer. In my Key TV box the blue light is energized, but i have zero signal at any tv jacks in trailer. So far I have pulled all tv jacks open and checked that they were tight. I opened KEY TV box and removed key tv module, checked that all connections were tight. I can hook up my cheap $14 HD antenna with a splitter to the coaxial cables going to the living area and bedroom and do over the air scan and I have twenty + channels. This tells me all cables going to TV jacks are good. Have been on phone with RV dealer several times and first off they are not really familiar with new Key TV system. Today they asked me if I could go on roof and lift doom to make sure cable is connected to KEY TV dome on top of camper. They don't think module is bad because it is still energized. Any advice or help will be much appreciated as I don't want to have to pack it all in and remove from permanent site to go to dealer. Thanks
dkirk_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:46 AM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

Just because the blue light is on, that doesn’t mean the module isn’t bad, I’ve seen a few. I don’t know of any tests you can do, and being new, opening up the module will most likely void any warranty claim. Did it work before you took delivery?

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 10:52 AM   #3
ChuckS

A short PDF I put together for another group... Id be checking to see if there is 12 volts OUT on the TV antenna cable port on back of the KeyTV module.. 12 volts DC is passed on the center conductor of the coax feed from KeyTV module up to OTA antenna on roof.. If it has no 12 volts present that antenna will do nothing
Attached Files
File Type: pdf KeyTV Troubleshooting.pdf (146.6 KB, 845 views)

2007 GMC Classic club cab 4x4 Duramax LBZ
2014 Alpine 3010 RE. 34 foot fifth wheel
ChuckS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2021, 11:03 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

They had to replace my KeyTV equipment for the same reason. I had the blue light on as well. Actually, they ordered it all but it never came in before I left so it's not installed yet. Don't know that I will. I use the internet and hardwire straight to living area TV which is all we use. SM and tech both said they have lots of failures with the KeyTV modules (diplexer if I recall).
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 07:24 AM   #5
RickV

Before I left home the KeyTV was working with my portable sat dish. When we got to Alabama two nights ago I set up the dish and it wouldn't work so I just ran a coax cable through the window directly to the Wally and it worked. We got to West Memphis yesterday and I hooked it up to the KeyTV again same result so I took the KeyTV mode out and all the connections were loose like I read in other threads so I tightened em still didn't work so I ran the coax through the window again. Today I disconnected the "TV 1" cable from the KeyTV module and using a coax barrel attached the coax from the sat dish directly to the "TV 1" cable figuring I would just bypass the module. Still Didn't work so I removed the barrel and hooked the "TV 1" back up to the module. So I moved the Wally in to the bedroom and hook it up in there it works so now I am like WTH. I decide to take the KeyTV wall connector in the living room off and check the connector. I notice that color of the cable is a pale pink color, I go back outside to the module and and "TV 1" is a grey cable and "TV 2" is the pale pink one. So now I know "TV 1"'s connection works and "TV 2"'s doesn't so I move "TV 2" to 1 and 1 to 3. and everything works. So it seems like the KeyTV can have partial failure. Hopefully it will not fail on any other ports.

Rick
2021 Alpine 3790FK
2021 Ford SD F350 6.7 PS 4x4 Crew Cab LB Dually
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 01:34 PM   #6
NH_Bulldog

To the OP:
The KeyTv system isn’t new and neither are the issues associated with it. If you have never used it successfully yet, the coax cables from the box are each supposed to end-run to a specific wall plate location as referenced by color. You need to check that the TV is connected to the right port on the wall plate behind the tv, that the outside cable is connected to the correct port on the face of the module and the tv is set properly to scan for stations.

The guide is a good place to start for information and troubleshooting.

I think I tested mine in the fall of 2018 and it worked then, but haven’t needed or wanted to bother with it since so who knows if it still works or not.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:22 PM   #7
sourdough
Site Team

Key TV? In theory it was probably a good idea, and might be if the components were any good....but. On this new RV mine did not work. Ran coax thru the window...great. Got back and took it in to repair under warranty.

I know the SM well so asked because I was not impressed; touted as "new" more advanced/simpler way to use your cable TV/satellite, it is just a way to cut costs. Gone are the separate cables for cable/satellite, we now have Key TV with the "decoder"/demodulator to cut down the costs for that extra coax run. Trouble is those modules have a very high failure rate AND when replaced he said the failure rate of the "replacements" ran about 60%....oh Joy!

I did not have time to wait for new Key TV components so told them to fix mine so I had direct routing for cable TV - I don't use satellite. They did that. All my new Key TV equipment had arrived so went to figure a plan. I now have all new Key TV equipment throughout the RV without them connected to anything; I left all the work they did before as is so things work and I don't need/want some sort of "box". Works for me but I'm sure not so good for others.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:36 PM   #8
Javi

But if it works, it's great... so far mine works ��
Old 05-18-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
NH_Bulldog

Javi, I hope you didn’t just jinx yourself!

For what it’s worth, I just checked mine after dinner tonight for the first time in forever and it still works as advertised.
2022 Ford F250 7.3L Godzilla Crew Cab 4x4
NH_Bulldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2021, 04:48 PM   #10
Javi

Quote:
Originally Posted by NH_Bulldog View Post
Javi, I hope you didn’t just jinx yourself!

For what it’s worth, I just checked mine after dinner tonight for the first time in forever and it still works as advertised.
Yep .... 👍👍👍😁
Javi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2021, 05:36 AM   #11
Brando

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk_32 View Post
Searched the threads and didn't quite see my particular problem. I have a 2021 330RL with a Key TV system.
I have the 330RL with KeyTV as well. I couldn't get it to grab any TV stations except 2. Turns out the TV was plugged into the wrong coaxial output. KeyTV has two... one for HDTV and one for Satellite.
Brando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2021, 12:39 PM   #12
Rringis

KeyTv loses all channels

This morning I had 15 channels after running auto scan on the TV. After a couple hours I lose some channels then an hour or so later I lose all of them. I turn off the keyTv controller and wait several hours they all come back on.
Anyone have an idea why this is happening?
Rringis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 09:59 AM   #13
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rringis View Post
This morning I had 15 channels after running auto scan on the TV. After a couple hours I lose some channels then an hour or so later I lose all of them. I turn off the keyTv controller and wait several hours they all come back on.
Depending on where you're at, it could be interference (in a fringe area) with anything from dust and dirt in the air to busses/airplanes/trucks/automatic doors interfering with your signal reception... There are times during the day that interference is worse than other times.... I'd first look at the timing of when you lose signal, not the hours of operation until the signal degrades.

As an example, you know the "speed limit/your speed" signs that tell you how fast you're going? The ones that get towed around from place to place to "show you how fast you're driving.... Yesterday we were on an interstate, entering a construction zone with a 45MPH speed limit. There was a "torrential downpour" and we were driving about 40MPH, windshield wipers going on the highest speed.... We came up to one of those signs and it showed our speed at 1MPH, 2MPH, 1MPH as we approached it. I'd suspect that the rain was blocking the radar (or laser) signal and the sign wasn't getting a "good signal return" to give us a true speed.... It was not getting "good reception based on conditions"...

I'd suspect your KeyTV antenna is subject to the same "reception conditions"...

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2021, 11:27 AM   #14
ChuckS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rringis View Post
I would say that either the KeyTV multi source controller is sensitive to excess heat as the day warms up, the OTA antenna preamp has issues, or one or both ends of coax at either TV connection, KeyTV contoller connections or OTA antenna is where the source of your issue is at...

While airborne particles and such can play a part and there will be some "bending" of the signal source depending on the ionosphere conditions a "total" signal loss of all stations indicates coax issues, multisource controller issues or antenna preamp issues

Old 07-03-2021, 04:49 AM   #15
barterry46

We have been trying for 2 hours to see if we can get any channels on our KeyTV. We have been able to instantly get TV over air channels when in other campgrounds. After traveling through 3 days of rainy (sometimes torrential rains) to arrive here in Florida we settled down to watch TV. Ugh...no channels found! We have checked all coax connections except those behind the "box" in the basement. Campground manager says there are at least 25 channels available over the air...not that we can tell.
Any suggestions would be helpful...we'd love to get the weather reports for this area as Elsa may be heading this way! Thanks
barterry46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2021, 05:01 AM   #16
ChuckS

Only 4 screws hold the KeyTV box in place.. remove and check coax connections.. And you need to remove the Coax connector and make sure the center conductor protrudes past the end of the threaded section about a 1/4 inch or you will have issues...

Also you may have to check the Coax connection at the OTA roof mounted antenna

If the KeyTV module blue LED light is let it is telling you it has 12 volts DC to it but it does not tell you it is sending 12 volts DC up to the roof mounted OTA antenna.

Remove coax on KeyTV that goes to OTA antenna and with a multimeter set to DC volts Red lead to center and black to threaded section of the coax connection ON THE MODULE box to measure and verify 12 volts is coming out of that coax connection up to the roof OTA antenna
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (136).png
Views:	173
Size:	577.0 KB
ID:	34446   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot (137).png
Views:	554
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	34447  

Old 07-03-2021, 05:12 AM   #17
Reset19

Are you doing the correct channel scan for cable or antenna signals on TV?
Reset19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2021, 04:41 PM   #18
Bmxdaddy

I have a 2021 330RL I’m having issues with the tv cable system also. I believe I have tracked it down to the diplexers mounted to the wall plate. The weird thing is we had it out multiple times with no issues.
Has anybody else seen this?
Bmxdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 07:29 PM   #19
john.hunt67

Just wanted to say something about key TV. I found today after three days of troubleshooting. I had recently purchased sky link Internet router and put it underneath the front and it was too close to the key TV were connected in and it was given out some interference I relocated it about 16 inches away and everything is working fine now.
john.hunt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2023, 05:24 PM   #20
Jbaker

have the similar issue with the controller. I simply bought a coax coupler and bypassed the controller by connecting the park pedestal via cable and coupler to the coax cable going to the main tv. TV Cable scan worked suggesting multi controller is bad
Jbaker is offline   Reply With Quote