Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campgrounds & Destinations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #1
jasin1

Florida bound

Finally heading south! Gonna stop in North Carolina for one night... staying in st Mary’s Georgia for two night then a couple of night in Rainbow springs Fla ( my wife wants to swim with a manatee) ..probably too cold but we’ll see.
Any recommendations for another couple of days around crystal river? Or maybe a little south? 1 st week of March
Old 02-20-2021, 10:42 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I don't know about Rainbow Springs but over here (around the bend in the panhandle) folks go to Wakulla springs year round. Took my brother and his wife out there one year; long johns, hooded coats etc. because it was cold. To our surprise there was a family swimming in the water in regular swimsuits to be with the manatees. I was in shock. When the fellow got out I asked if they all weren't freezing and he said the water was at a constant 72? degrees so they weren't cold. Not me!

If you are going to be in Crystal River you might look into the Ellie Schiller state park in Homosassa (right next to Crystal River). It's pretty interesting.

If you go much further south you will get to Clearwater and if you like packed people that's where to be....we don't so didn't spend more than an afternoon there - but it was pretty. While in Rainbow Springs you might want to drive over to Cedar Key. Not a lot there but a quaint little village on the coast that's pretty interesting. If you time it right (maybe lunch) grab an order of clams at Steamers on Dock St.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 10:48 AM   #3
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I don't know about Rainbow Springs but over here (around the bend in the panhandle) folks go to Wakulla springs year round. Took my brother and his wife out there one year; long johns, hooded coats etc. because it was cold. To our surprise there was a family swimming in the water in regular swimsuits to be with the manatees. I was in shock. When the fellow got out I asked if they all weren't freezing and he said the water was at a constant 72? degrees so they weren't cold. Not me!

If you are going to be in Crystal River you might look into the Ellie Schiller state park in Homosassa (right next to Crystal River). It's pretty interesting.

If you go much further south you will get to Clearwater and if you like packed people that's where to be....we don't so didn't spend more than an afternoon there - but it was pretty. While in Rainbow Springs you might want to drive over to Cedar Key. Not a lot there but a quaint little village on the coast that's pretty interesting. If you time it right (maybe lunch) grab an order of clams at Steamers on Dock St.
Perfect! Just the kind of info I was looking for.. cedar key caught my eye and yep we really avoid crowds whenever possible.
We have wetsuits so should be good...I can eat clams by the bucketful lol
Old 02-20-2021, 11:05 AM   #4
sourdough
Site Team

I forgot to mention; if you do go to Cedar Key you might find the Cedar Key Museum State Park interesting - we enjoyed our time spent there.

Edit: One other thing I always mention; if in Crystal River and you have time you should try Granny's restaurant for breakfast.
sourdough is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 11:12 AM   #5
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
I forgot to mention; if you do go to Cedar Key you might find the Cedar Key Museum State Park interesting - we enjoyed our time spent there.

Edit: One other thing I always mention; if in Crystal River and you have time you should try Granny's restaurant for breakfast.
Sounds like a plan! Thanks again.. when time is limited it’s nice to have the inside scoop on local attractions
Old 02-20-2021, 02:09 PM   #6
notanlines

Crystal Isles RV Resort, stayed there many times, and Grannies for breakfast. Cody’s Original Roadhouse for steak and salad! Dozens of areas to swim with manatees and s great area to stay!
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 02:23 PM   #7
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by notanlines View Post
Crystal Isles RV Resort, stayed there many times, and Grannies for breakfast. Cody’s Original Roadhouse for steak and salad! Dozens of areas to swim with manatees and s great area to stay!
Great! Another good place to eat! My wife loves a good salad
Old 02-24-2021, 05:29 PM   #8
ACJCF2

You will like your layover in St. Mary's, GA if you're staying at Crooked River S.P. Very nice park.
Retired Asst. Fire Chief
Keep Calm, Play Tuba
ACJCF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2021, 07:21 PM   #9
kfp673

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasin1 View Post
Great! Another good place to eat! My wife loves a good salad
Curious where you ended up staying and what you thought of it? We are considering a last minute similar trip first week in April. Thanks
kfp673 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2021, 04:01 AM   #10
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfp673 View Post
Curious where you ended up staying and what you thought of it? We are considering a last minute similar trip first week in April. Thanks
Stayed in rainbow springs state park...it was really nice ....we also initially stayed at the saint marys KOA in GA... it is right on the Florida Georgia line, it’s a nice campground and one of the only ones we could find in or near Florida on a short notice ... it was 30 min to Fernadina beach and about an hour to St Augustine ,right next to crooked River state park.
Then we went to James Island County park in Charleston SC ..we also spent the night again at saint marys after leaving Florida on out way to SC ....

So we went from MD to NC first night
NC to GA stayed a few days
GA to Rainbow Springs FLA few days
Went to crystal River swam with manatees
Rainbow springs back to GA one day
GA to Charleston one day visited Historic Charleston
Charleston to NC one day
NC back to MD

The saint Mary’s koa is nice. They are close to 95 but all sites are pull thru and they have big pine trees all throughout the campground.
In the morning they give you free breakfast waffle or pancake( sausage or bacon extra). My wife usually makes an awesome breakfast but on travel day it’s nice .Super clean and family owned.
They used to have a petting farm / zoo but no longer due to insurance requirements. Have a little mini golf setup .. It was a nice jumping off location as we did day trips into Florida.
We prefer state parks but it worked out good because we usually leave in the morning for day trips and come back to eat dinner and relax . They also have a nice camp store with a grill and they make food all day and into the evening and I saw them deliver to camp site. .