Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2021, 06:03 PM   #1
JBWardFamily

Slide alignment question

Hi all. We have a '17 33MLS and the TV slide is a gear driven one. It's been making a little noise like it is scraping the floor when bringing it in and there is no damage, but it's leaving marks. I just feel like it could be smoother. Is there an adjustment?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3295.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	31904   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3296.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	202.2 KB
ID:	31905   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3293.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	370.1 KB
ID:	31906   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3294.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	31907  
JBWardFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #2
chuckster57
Site Team

There is an adjustment. Look at the 2 bolts sticking down. They will adjust how the slide “rides”. You have to make small adjustments. Lowering the bolts will make the slide leading edge ride higher for longer.

Make any adjustments with the room about 3/4 of the way out. Tighten all bolts before testing and extend before retracting. Make sure the slide seals at full extension and retraction.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWardFamily View Post
Hi all. We have a '17 33MLS and the TV slide is a gear driven one. It's been making a little noise like it is scraping the floor when bringing it in and there is no damage, but it's leaving marks. I just feel like it could be smoother. Is there an adjustment?
Spraying down those gears with some silicone spray occasionally wouldn't hurt either.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 08:05 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

There is a steel "drive gear" with two plastic rollers on each ram. They are mounted on the outside of the frame rail, where the ram goes through the frame. The plastic rollers tend to wear and if you've hit any significant rough spots while towing, one or more of the plastic rollers may be broken. I had two broken and one flat roller on my main slide last year.

The gear "rack" shown on the bottom of your rams in the photo you posted are "driven/timed" by the gear/roller assembly. Follow those teeth on the bottom of your rams and they will lead you directly to the assemblies in this link. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can buy new roller assemblies for about $50 each. There are two gear drives, one is 15 teeth and one has 18 teeth. I can't tell you what year Keystone used which "tooth count gears"... You'll need to count the teeth on your slide mechanism to know for sure. The replacements come with 15 tooth gears, so if yours are 18 teeth, you may need to switch the gear wheels so they mesh properly.

I would inspect the gears and especially the rollers very carefully. You may be lucky without damage, but the same "noisy slide movement was my first indication that I needed to replace broken parts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SLIDE ROLLER PACK.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	31908  

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #5
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Spraying down those gears with some silicone spray occasionally wouldn't hurt either.
I sprayed them down yesterday. Time will tell if it helps.
Old 02-10-2021, 04:05 PM   #6
JBWardFamily

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
There is an adjustment. Look at the 2 bolts sticking down. They will adjust how the slide “rides”. You have to make small adjustments. Lowering the bolts will make the slide leading edge ride higher for longer.

Make any adjustments with the room about 3/4 of the way out. Tighten all bolts before testing and extend before retracting. Make sure the slide seals at full extension and retraction.
Thanks. So if I back those out a 1/4 inch, the inside portion should be a smidge off the floor?
Old 02-10-2021, 04:34 PM   #7
wiredgeorge

JB, I have an old 2002 Cougar and pulled the carpet out. I have those adjustment screws with jamb nuts and haven't messed with them. I put in vinyl plank flooring and first time I moved the slide out and then back in, got some scratches. I cut slot 4" wide and 2' long 1/8" plywood and put it under my slide where the slight scratches occurred. The slide lifts slightly when pulling it back at about a foot or 18" and I put the slats under at that point and no more scratches. Just another way to solve this issue and would not mess with the slide adjustment personally for fear it wouldn't seal properly. It would be hard to tell till you got a hard rain.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2021, 06:43 PM   #8
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBWardFamily View Post
Thanks. So if I back those out a 1/4 inch, the inside portion should be a smidge off the floor?
Lowering those bolts “should” make the front edge of the slide ride higher longer while retracting. It’s a fine line between enough to still seal and too much.

You could always use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Lippert-13499...77610258&psc=1

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
slide