Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Tech Forums > Tow Vehicles
Click Here to Login

Old 12-25-2020, 08:49 AM   #41
travelin texans

This DL discussion in Texas has been ongoing for years! My rig total actual weight with Cat Scales & Smart Weigh was 258XX, per axle were all within the limits, so under the 26k, but truck/trailer posted weights was more than 26k. I had my DL renewed & ask the DMV clerk, a state trooper & a city LEO all said that the class A non-CDL was not needed if towing for personal use. The list of exemptions along with several others, mostly agriculture related, stated not required for personal rv use.
But depending on who you talk to it just muddies to water more. I wish they would simply state what's required without 1/2 page of exemptions, same for everyone.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 09:24 AM   #42
dutchmensport

Thanks for the clarification. I'm good and pretty sure well under 26,000 pounds with trailer and truck together.

Just an FYI. In Indiana, there are different levels of license plates you can get for your truck. When I got my 2nd 3500 dually, the BMV was going to plate the truck at 7,000 pounds, which is the bottom tier. What that means is, truck plus all payload cannot exceed 7,000 pounds.

I told her no. The truck can carry much more than that. The next level was 12,000, and that was much closer to the sticker on the door.

When I got my current truck I immediately told the BMV, I wanted it tagged with the 12,000 license plate. I've never had any problems, never been stopped by law enforcement with any of my trailers or fifth wheel in tow.

Evidently, in Indiana, towing a trailer does not add weight to the truck as far as that 7,000 pound or 12,000 pound tag is concerned. But a Fifth Wheel does. So if my diesel long bed dually weighs approximately 7,500 pounds and the weight on the fifth wheel hitch is around 3000 pounds, (give or take), I'm good.

And now matter how it adds us, everything combined is still under 26,000. Life is good.

Still, at this point in my life, I have no intentions of going to California.

Thanks for the original post and video. I did find it very interesting.
Old 12-25-2020, 09:34 AM   #43
jasin1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchmensport View Post
Thanks for the clarification. I'm good and pretty sure well under 26,000 pounds with trailer and truck together.

Just an FYI. In Indiana, there are different levels of license plates you can get for your truck. When I got my 2nd 3500 dually, the BMV was going to plate the truck at 7,000 pounds, which is the bottom tier. What that means is, truck plus all payload cannot exceed 7,000 pounds.

I told her no. The truck can carry much more than that. The next level was 12,000, and that was much closer to the sticker on the door.

When I got my current truck I immediately told the BMV, I wanted it tagged with the 12,000 license plate. I've never had any problems, never been stopped by law enforcement with any of my trailers or fifth wheel in tow.

Evidently, in Indiana, towing a trailer does not add weight to the truck as far as that 7,000 pound or 12,000 pound tag is concerned. But a Fifth Wheel does. So if my diesel long bed dually weighs approximately 7,500 pounds and the weight on the fifth wheel hitch is around 3000 pounds, (give or take), I'm good.

And now matter how it adds us, everything combined is still under 26,000. Life is good.

Still, at this point in my life, I have no intentions of going to California.

Thanks for the original post and video. I did find it very interesting.
Your welcome. I’m new to this whole social media thing...kinda private in most aspects of my life
Old 12-25-2020, 12:01 PM   #44
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
This DL discussion in Texas has been ongoing for years! My rig total actual weight with Cat Scales & Smart Weigh was 258XX, per axle were all within the limits, so under the 26k, but truck/trailer posted weights was more than 26k. I had my DL renewed & ask the DMV clerk, a state trooper & a city LEO all said that the class A non-CDL was not needed if towing for personal use. The list of exemptions along with several others, mostly agriculture related, stated not required for personal rv use.
But depending on who you talk to it just muddies to water more. I wish they would simply state what's required without 1/2 page of exemptions, same for everyone.
PS
I'm sure if pulled over, regardless of the state your in, your weights &/or what the requirements are will be completely up to the LEO on the scene. If driving eradically or something equally as dangerous like towing a 40' TH with a Tacoma, I would think these could get you pulled over & possibly weighed. Other than that I wouldn't think there'd be any reason to pull you over or weigh you.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2020, 06:04 PM   #45
gearhead

^^What I think too, especially in Texas.
But...I am going to take the test.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:22 AM   #46
rhagfo

Well as far as a DL for RV driving there are no special endorsements. I called and wrote an email to verify when we bought our 2016 Ram DRW at GVWR of 14,000, our 5er has a GVWR of 12,360# putting total at 26,360# no special license required.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 05:52 AM   #47
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
I know of two people here in Cal that had their trips ended by that scenario. Pismo beach is a popular recreation destination and CHP likes to weigh people. One pound over and you can have your rig impounded, pay storage fees until you bring a “capable” tow vehicle. I have seen the truck pull rigs over, so it can happen “on the road” not just the scales.

Also had a customer have his fiver taken when he couldn’t produce his “travel trailer” endorsement on his license.
So were they weighed at random? Were they picked out because they looked overweight, like excessive squat?
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 06:58 AM   #48
Mr Mojo

When I went for my Class B CDL, my boss grabbed the wrong truck. The truck we were supposed to take the test in was rated at 29,000 lbs, but the one we brought was only 26000. After passing the test, the guy asked me what the GVWR was, I said 26000, but then said 26001. He told me to move my head which was blocking the sticker and said, no it's 26000. Congratulations on your Class C license. I needed the Class B, but didn't get it. Class C is useless unless you need endorsements for commercial driving.
Old 12-26-2020, 07:21 AM   #49
Ken / Claudia

Just a word (or several) of caution. Many think of traffic enforcement as speeding and stopping/red light violations. There are 1,000s of laws in the motor vehicle code. In Oregon only 5 are crimes, the rest are violations. In Oregon the ticket says "I have reason to believe the listed violation occurred" above the officers signature. That a really low bar to get over to stop anyone and write a ticket. Proving it in court is a different subject.
I have heard hundreds of times if not more, "I have never been stopped for xx, I have never gotten a ticket for xxx, I have never heard of such a law.

I can find you committing a violation of 1 or more of Oregon's laws if I follow you long enough or look over your vehicle really well. Does that mean you will get stopped, unlikely my me what about the next cop?
But, where I worked, traffic was so heavy and criminals in large numbers. Most cops pick out the worse or most dangerous problems they see. They (me for 39 years) cops overlook most of those 1,000s of violations.
But, do not count on you will always get by without that second look by a officer who's job is to enforce those 1,000s of laws.
Examples: 1 Oregon No one pulling any trailer is allowed to drive in the left lane unless legally passing other traffic. 2 any vehicle pulling a trailer over 10,000 lbs must follow the truck speed not passenger vehicle speed laws.
Those are in the vehicle code, but rarely enforced by a ticket. Why not? few drivers know of those laws. They are not showing up as safety related involving crashes. Are some of my guesses.
The 1st example that's gets a ticket every time is this: pickup pulling a RV in the 2nd, 3rd or 4th lane to the left and is normally driving faster than traffic in the others lanes. I attempt to stop the combo, the driver continues on the freeway for miles with me behind, or on left shoulder with police lights and siren on.
Why? driver is not paying any attention and not using their mirrors. The ticket then becomes failure to yield to a emergency vehicle. I warn on the lane violation and or speeding. Yes that happens a lot in the metro area.
As of 05-2020, I am all done with 39 years total police work. No more uniforms for me.
Ken / Claudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 09:10 AM   #50
LewisB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeystoneKal View Post
Over 26,000 lbs you need a CDL? Federal requirement.
Not true in Arizona.
28-3102. Exceptions to driver license classes; definitions
A. Notwithstanding section 28 3101, a person who operates an authorized emergency vehicle, a farm vehicle or a recreational vehicle may operate the vehicle with a class A, B, C, D or G license.
B. For the purposes of this section:
5. "Recreational vehicle" means a motor vehicle or vehicle combination that is more than twenty six thousand pounds gross vehicle weight rating and that is designed and exclusively used for private pleasure, including vehicles commonly called motor homes, pickup trucks with campers, travel trailers, boat trailers and horse trailers used exclusively to transport personal possessions or persons for noncommercial purposes.

So, drivers licensed in Arizona may tow an RV in excess of 26,000 pounds using any class (A thru G) of valid Arizona Drivers License.
2019 Can Am Maverick Sport XRC - the "Blue Goose"

On YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCjc...yZ_w7jyofaPLVQ
LewisB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2020, 01:09 PM   #51
notanlines

Uh, KeystoneKal, you might want to research that statement a little. States are not wanting to be inundated with CDL applicants. They can barely bankroll the help they have right now. States vary by laws, but a general statement with more than a modicum of truth would be:
"You can drive a 44,600 pound vehicle, including with air brakes, right out of the dealers lot with that same license you got at age 16. A few states, such as Texas and California, require what is called a non-commercial class B license for GVWR over 26,000 lb. ... Some states then require you to have a non-commercial class A license."
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2020, 09:06 AM   #52
ewbldavis

For giggles I looked up federal requirement. It states "CMV's over 26000", so a private vehicle with RV in tow is exempt.

This horse can be beaten for years. I would suggest learning your state's requirements and checking your weights at a scale. Then there is the "common sense" factor. Like Ken stated, you should not be in the 3rd lane passing everyone when towing. Also, if within legal limits, you shouldn't have excessive squat or appear that you are overloaded. Bringing attention to yourself in the first place is what will get you stopped.

Eddy

2019 GMC Sierra 2500HD 6.0L
2020 Cougar 32BHS
ewbldavis is offline   Reply With Quote