Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 10-24-2020, 07:08 AM   #1
radargil

Propane regulator display

I have had 2 or 3 different propane regulators and the red-green displays have always quit working. They will show green until both bottles are empty. They only last about 3 years. The regulator works ok but I don't know when one bottle is empty so I can get it filled. I've tried all kinds of brands. What do ya'll consider is the best brand? One that will last longer on the display. Thanks
radargil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:11 AM   #2
bsmith0404

I’ve never had one quit working. Just curious how you set the valve. Are you setting it in the center or towards one tank and then the other? Sorry I don’t have a recommendation for you, but like I said, have never had one quit working.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:13 AM   #3
chuckster57
Site Team

which way is the "pointer" faced? so far just about every automatic switchover regulator I have dealt with has operated correctly. I test them at intial PDI.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

I've never had an automatic regulator fail. I did have one with a selector valve "twist off in my hand".

On most, the "red/green indicator" provides an indication of the pressure in the tank to which the selector valve is pointing. If the selector valve is pointing "up/down" (to neither tank) some will shut off gas flow and others will "draw from both tanks". The ones that draw from both tanks will have a green indicator until both tanks are empty, then change to red....

My guess is that you've got your selector valve incorrectly positioned. Try pointing the indicator (not necessarily the handle) toward one of the tanks and see if it resolves your issue.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:41 AM   #5
bsmith0404

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
I've never had an automatic regulator fail. I did have one with a selector valve "twist off in my hand".

On most, the "red/green indicator" provides an indication of the pressure in the tank to which the selector valve is pointing. If the selector valve is pointing "up/down" (to neither tank) some will shut off gas flow and others will "draw from both tanks". The ones that draw from both tanks will have a green indicator until both tanks are empty, then change to red....

My guess is that you've got your selector valve incorrectly positioned. Try pointing the indicator (not necessarily the handle) toward one of the tanks and see if it resolves your issue.....
That’s the same thing I was thinking when I asked how you had it set. John went into more detail.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 08:56 AM   #6
flybouy
Site Team

This may help.
flybouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:12 PM   #7
LHaven

When we got our first RV, I expected to be able to select the full tank with the manual selector valve while I removed the empty tank to bring it in for a fill. Imagine my surprise when propane from the full tank came across the valve and started rushing out of the hose I had just disconnected. To this day, I still don't know if the valve is expected to work that way, or if I just had a bad one. As a result, I simply work the valves manually and shut everything off before bringing the empty one in for a refill. Curiously, I've come across many references and videos like the above, and none of them address the point of whether one should be able to disconnect an empty tank on a running propane system.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:31 PM   #8
purebred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LHaven View Post
When we got our first RV, I expected to be able to select the full tank with the manual selector valve while I removed the empty tank to bring it in for a fill. Imagine my surprise when propane from the full tank came across the valve and started rushing out of the hose I had just disconnected. To this day, I still don't know if the valve is expected to work that way, or if I just had a bad one. As a result, I simply work the valves manually and shut everything off before bringing the empty one in for a refill. Curiously, I've come across many references and videos like the above, and none of them address the point of whether one should be able to disconnect an empty tank on a running propane system.
I have disconnected our tanks many times with one full and the other empty. Never leaked out the disconnected hose once.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:32 PM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

I disconnect the empty tank to refill it with the full tank operating the trailer. I've never had any "leakage through the selector valve to the open pigtail while the empty tank was off the rack.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-24-2020, 01:38 PM   #10
LHaven

Quote:
I disconnect the empty tank to refill it with the full tank operating the trailer. I've never had any "leakage through the selector valve to the open pigtail while the empty tank was off the rack.
Well then, I will be emboldened to attempt this again on my current rig next time I need a refill.
Old 10-24-2020, 01:39 PM   #11
jasin1

I bought the “AP products” tank monitor on Amazon for $78. It seems pretty good so far. Two magnetic sensors for bottom of tanks and a wireless display. Or you can use the Bluetooth app. I didn’t trust the factory gauge. I was sure I was pretty low on one tank and installed the new system and Configured for thirty lb tanks and unreality I was at 78% on one tank and 100 on the other. I keep one tank shut off
jasin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 01:47 PM   #12
roadglide

I installed a new valve the second year of ownership. I found out the first time when I ran out of fuel both tanks are open regardless of where the valves is positioned it will drain them both. Now I shut the back tank off when the front tank goes empty I turn the back on and haven’t smelled propane coming from the free hose .
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:05 PM   #13
flybouy
Site Team

I've removed an empty tank while the full tank was in use many, many times and never had it escape from the disconnected pigtail.
Old 10-24-2020, 02:26 PM   #14
rhagfo

Quote:
The only leakage is the far side tank on our 5er, it bleeds the pressure out of the crossover line just a bit.
I never leave a tank closed, don’t want to have to go outside at 2:00 am in a cold driving rain to open the second tank! I check the regulator regularly!
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 02:32 PM   #15
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
The only leakage is the far side tank on our 5er, it bleeds the pressure out of the crossover line just a bit.
Yup. Both of our tanks are side by side, so no "low pressure crossover regulator. I can see how that would allow the "side without the main regulator" to bleed off the pressure that's in the line when disconnected, but once that propane is dispersed, there should be no further leakage from the operational tank.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
Old 10-24-2020, 03:22 PM   #16
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
I never leave a tank closed, don’t want to have to go outside at 2:00 am in a cold driving rain to open the second tank! I check the regulator regularly!
Agree with this. The purpose of having an automatic changeover valve is to go from an empty tank to a full tank without interruption. Leaving one tank closed off defeats the purpose and you may as well have one pigtail and a regulator.
Old 10-24-2020, 03:46 PM   #17
rhagfo

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
Agree with this. The purpose of having an automatic changeover valve is to go from an empty tank to a full tank without interruption. Leaving one tank closed off defeats the purpose and you may as well have one pigtail and a regulator.
So my DW does a great job of reminding me to check the regulator, I do it somewhat regularly we have the Cheap Heat system on our furnace and only us propane for hot water and cooking. Seems like we use about a tank a month or so.

This is time to switch and fill the empty.

Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:26 PM   #18
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
What do you do when both tanks run low or you need to fill both tanks everything that’s on propane comes to a standstill in my camper.That’s not true I could run solar battery power for the fridge. My camper the burners and wave heater will go first for some reason the refrigerator work well everything else shuts down. There will be many times I will be 15 miles or more from propane service and I refuse to leave my refrigerator not working. I always have the back tank full or almost full and very seldom take it in to be topped off.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:31 PM   #19
JDDilly

Your refrigerator would be good for a few hours if you do not open it. That gives you enough time to get LP.

Jim and Carole
Roseville, MN
2018 RAM 3500 DRW, Diesel, Long Box, Air Lift Bags - 2023 Fuzion 421
JDDilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 05:41 PM   #20
Ribtip

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglide View Post
What do you do when both tanks run low or you need to fill both tanks everything that’s on propane comes to a standstill in my camper.That’s not true I could run solar battery power for the fridge. My camper the burners and wave heater will go first for some reason the refrigerator work well everything else shuts down. There will be many times I will be 15 miles or more from propane service and I refuse to leave my refrigerator not working. I always have the back tank full or almost full and very seldom take it in to be topped off.
I leave both mine open too. The system will only run off one tank then when i see red on one of the tanks i refill. You just got to check the regulator on occasion to see if one is empty. Leaving them both open allows noninteruptuon service. How often i check the regulator depends on what kind of camping we are doing. We dont use much gas.
Ribtip is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane