Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Welcome to KeystoneForums.com! > New Member Check in!
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2020, 10:50 AM   #1
outback regret

Angry Regretting new RV purchase

I just bought a new Outback 280URB and took it out for the first time and noticed the DVD player didn't work and a small pinhole in the awning fabric. Took it back to the dealer to fix these issues and they replaced the DVD player but said the warranty claim for the awning was denied. When I called Keystone they said that since the dealer did not note the awning damage when they received it that I must have damaged it myself. Now I am wondering what kind of trouble I just paid a large amount of money for.
outback regret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 11:03 AM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I would put this on the dealer and tell them to get it approved. If they overlooked it on their initial inspection, which I have no doubt they did, and you missed it on your pdi, which you apparently did....that does not make it customer damage. That makes it a "pinhole" that most folks would not see until later. They missed it first so they should explain that to Keystone and elevate the issue if the Keystone service advisor is denying it. Your service manager needs to be involved and argue with them....btdt.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #3
notanlines

Keep in mind that a 'small pinhole' is mighty small. I suspect if it is as small as you make it out to be I'd probably just ignore it. Is this your first RV? I ask, because I'm not certain you should have these ill-feelings this early. Take a picture of the fabric area and let's see what this is all about.
2021 40' Jayco Eagle
2001 Road king w/matching Harley sidecar
2021 Yamaha X2 Wolverine 1000
notanlines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 03:38 PM   #4
Laredo Tugger

Comparably your problems are nothing. A pin hole in the awning? Fill it with clear fingernail polish and be done with it. At least you do not have some of the other problems that have surfaced on this forum. If everything else on the trailer is working your ahead of the game. Way ahead.
Good luck
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:29 PM   #5
chuckster57
Site Team

Or bypass the dealer and go straight to the awning manufacturer. Your dealer is being lazy. We just got a new awning fabric for the exact same reason, pin hole that nobody noticed until customer took it camping. I took the pics, and the fabric is in a box waiting for me to install it under warranty. In my case it was covered by the TRAILER manufacturer not the awning maker.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:15 AM   #6
outback regret

update

My dealer is finally taking responsibility and is going to replace the fabric. However some of the replies I have gotten are troubling. Just don't worry about it and forget it?That is why so many dealers get away with inferior service.If I buy something new I expect a certain quality,I don't just shrug my shoulders and say "they got me again" at the very least I would look to buy from someone else in the future. This is my 10th RV to answer one post and my third brand new one. Turns out Keystone is upset with the dealer because they quit carrying the more expensive keystone brands because of poor build quality. I just wish I knew that before my purchase. We need to not accept poor quality and service or everything will continue to go downhill.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

I'm happy to hear they are going to step up and do what[s only right. Don't regret buying, just be cautious of the dealer.

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:35 AM   #8
wiredgeorge

outback regret? Is this your first camper/RV purchase?
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 08:53 AM   #9
outback regret

number 10 - from coleman pop up to 31.5 travel trailer and Mini home
Old 10-03-2020, 08:54 AM   #10
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiredgeorge View Post
outback regret? Is this your first camper/RV purchase?

In post #6 he said he's had several.
Old 10-03-2020, 08:58 AM   #11
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Turns out Keystone is upset with the dealer because they quit carrying the more expensive keystone brands because of poor build quality.
How did you find this out? Keystone doesnt dictate what line/model a dealer sells, and as far as I know all the other manufacturers are the same. DEALER decides what they want to sell and are only limited by geographic location to "protect" one dealer from being undercut by another. last I heard it was 50 miles.

Old 10-03-2020, 09:05 AM   #12
outback regret

We had other minor issues that I dealt with myself, the guide for the sliding door was only screwed to 1 layer of paneling and coming off, they didn't bother to ensure they hit the wall stud, one screw was over tightened and protruding in one of the cabinets. The theater seating was screwed to the floor to far back so we could not recline fully and the toilet was crammed into the corner so tight you could not lift the lid fully to use it, fortunately I kept the upgrade I had installed in my old trailer and put it in this one and it is narrower in the rear so combined with removing a cabinet door behind the toilet we can now raise the lid fully.all these little things have a cumulative effect and that is why the pinhole bothered me maybe too much
Old 10-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #13
wiredgeorge

Quote:
Originally Posted by outback regret View Post
number 10 - from coleman pop up to 31.5 travel trailer and Mini home

Sorry, just curious. In the other RVs you previously purchased, were they all issue free? I have never purchased a new RV (only used) so issues are kind of a way of life but many have been sorted prior to the RV coming into my hands. In addition, I am fairly handy and with youtube have become a bit of an RV tech (to a degree) as I fix my own stuff. I can't afford a shop to take care of things that are just a low level tech chore. I do understand that folks get frustrated with buying new as dealers seem to be less than motivated to make these things right and initial quality is a bit slip shod. I also note they are all made in the same area in Indiana and the same workers likely go from one plant to the other and are paid to crank out product without a lot of QC. Good luck!
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #14
outback regret

That is what I was told by the dealer
Old 10-03-2020, 10:31 AM   #15
purebred

I really know your frustrations. We have always bought used and with our purchase of our 2020 Alpine i knew deep down I should have went used but the misses talked me into the new alpine. After a ton of just down right obvious quality concerns not addressed by Keystone I finally just bit the bullet and fix the stuff myself and move on. Life is to short and it only affects your health when you start worrying and fretting over it. I know something that costs a small fortune thats built subpar really upsets you. Ours was 70,000 out the door and I'm at the point now where i just grin and bear it and move on. Good luck with yours.
purebred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 05:43 PM   #16
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
That is what I was told by the dealer
Was this a reply directed to my post? If it is I call BS. As I stated in my previous post, the manufacturer doesn’t dictate what any dealer sells. I think they are back peddling in an attempt to look good.

Old 10-04-2020, 02:18 AM   #17
outback regret

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckster57 View Post
Was this a reply directed to my post? If it is I call BS. As I stated in my previous post, the manufacturer doesn’t dictate what any dealer sells. I think they are back peddling in an attempt to look good.
They now carry Grand Design for there premium trailers they also have Forest River and Outback for the less expensive lines.
Old 10-04-2020, 06:44 AM   #18
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
They now carry Grand Design for there premium trailers they also have Forest River and Outback for the less expensive lines.

As Chuck said, the dealer determines what RV lines they will carry. Dealers carry abc brands for various reasons. Some drop lines for various reasons. I've talked to 2 dealers that dropped Keystone due to issues they faced from Keystone trying to get warranty repairs approved - I just went through the same thing. I doubt it's so much the "quality", they ALL have the same issues caused by the "throw them out the door as fast as you can" mentality. As far as GD as their premium line, GD is a good brand and they were in the running with us until we picked the MHC. Inside they have the same appliances, same pex, same water pump, same pex.....same 99% everything. What they hang their hat on is customer service. Unfortunately, I wasn't willing to pay 10k extra for that perceived "improvement" in quality.

Buying a new RV is not buying a new car - you are going to have problems and you need to expect them; look for them and fix them if you can. New doesn't really mean anything other than you know every screw that has been turned or fallen out etc. etc. I like to know that personally. Good luck on getting it all worked out.
Old 10-15-2020, 08:57 AM   #19
dooby

I bought a brand new 2021 Keystone Bullet. There were several issues such as doors that were not fitted correctly, leaky plumbing, trim falling off, leaky eaves trough, incorrect hitch setup, and a scratched refrigerator door. The path of least resistance was to repair everything myself. The fridge door remains scratched since pickup in early July 2020. I've made at least 15 calls to Keystone where each call they promise to get involved. Each subsequent call is like groundhog day. The escalation path is non-existent. My dealer has recently agreed to get involved so we will see where that goes. Unfortunately it seems that RV warranty is worth the paper is is written on. For a pinhole in the awning I would just put a dab of seal-all on it and let it cure. I would then move on to enjoy my trailer as my family and I have chosen to do. I put it in perspective by being grateful that I don't have any structural issues do deal with and that aside from a scratched fridge everything else is pretty good. It should not be this way but unfortunately, unless you have a dealer willing to make it right you're on your own. Enjoy your trailer in good health.
dooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 07:04 AM   #20
Kzneft

Welcome to the world of RV'ing. My rv dealer would always say to me, "take it out for a weekend, then write down everything that is wrong and bring it back to get it fixed". Other than that you either need to know how to fix them yourself or have the money to pay to dealer. I prefer to fix myself. Anytime you are hauling a house down the road there are always going to be things to fix.
Kzneft is offline   Reply With Quote