Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Community Forums > Campfire Chatter
Click Here to Login

Old 09-05-2020, 05:48 PM   #1
gearhead

Hurricane report

We were in Colorado when hurricane Laura hit. We got back home yesterday and decided to go check the farm near Mauriceville in Orange County Texas. It looked OK, a couple limbs blown down but otherwise good. The kids inheritance of 30,000 pines looked OK. Decided to go check my family cemetery near Oberlin LA. The farther into LA we went the worse it looked. DeQuincy had no power and traffic was gridlocked. We were going east on Hwy12 and got to Reeves. Looked like it was hit by a tornado. My cousins mechanic shop looked totaled. Trees down everywhere, sheet metal scattered in the woods. By the direction of the trees blown down, it looked like Reeves took a direct hit by the eye wall. Driving on east the damage was less. I thought the cemetery would be OK. We got to Oberlin and almost no damage. Rounded a curve at the cemetery and it wasn't good. One of the 2 huge pines at the entrance was blown down into the cemetery. My direct ancestors graves looked spared. Went back home via Lake Charles and I-10. It was hard to see a building that was not damaged.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1605.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	29631  
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:13 PM   #2
sourdough
Site Team

I knew, and sort of kept abreast of Laura, but didn't realize the damage that far in. I thought it dissipated pretty quickly.

I will say that we went to FL 10 days after Michael and I had no idea what kind of damage a hurricane could do so far inland. To me it was like a tornado that was really, really wide and just kept on going. The damage was unbelievable. Of course I know that is dependent on the strength of the storm but Wow.

Hope everyone is OK and things aren't damaged too much. What a thing to come back to.....
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
gearhead

It's all good here at home. Both kids have large trees in their yards so they came to our house. After our son boarded up/covered our windows, there was no wind or rain. I've ran from them and rode them out since 1950.
Running is best.
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4 LB Cabover
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote