Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Keystone RV Forums > Keystone Fleet | Keystone RV Models > Fifth Wheels
Click Here to Login

Old 08-04-2020, 03:56 PM   #21
Frank G

Let me go through this, we have a 2016 Ram Laramie CTD 4x4 short bed with a Curt manual slider pulling a 2017 Keystone Laredo 325RL (36.5 ft.). We never use the slider, only my wife as a spotter. Never had a issue and she tells me we never come close to hitting. The one time (after pulling for 3 years) I decided to use the slider, for the heck of it, just to use it, I almost destroyed the tail gate. With every turn the pin box interfered with the top of the tail gate destroying the top plastic piece and the protective cover on the tail gate. The new top plastic covered the metal damage.

What I am saying is, when you hook-up the first time and set the hitch height, check all clearances with the hitch in both positions. don't assume anything check and verify.
www.travelersrestresort.com
Frank G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:09 PM   #22
Snoking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kebees42 View Post
I am getting a manual slider but more curious about turns while driving forward. Like 90 degree intersections or similar turns.
I towed two different 5th wheels with a CC SB SRW 3500 2015 RAM 4x4 for three years. I had the B&W manual slider. You will not hit the cab going forward, as the truck will not turn shape enough for that to happen. Because of the front box I had, and the release lever on the hitch, I always slide the hitch aft at checkin and back forward after straighten out on the park exit road.

Chris
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160510_092623922_HDR.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	29027  
Old 08-04-2020, 04:47 PM   #23
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoking View Post
I towed two different 5th wheels with a CC SB SRW 3500 2015 RAM 4x4 for three years. I had the B&W manual slider. You will not hit the cab going forward, as the truck will not turn shape enough for that to happen. Because of the front box I had, and the release lever on the hitch, I always slide the hitch aft at checkin and back forward after straighten out on the park exit road.

Chris
You answered my question. I also have a B&W slider. One more question is when hitch is in aft position do you have trouble with contact to the tailgate or do you put it down. If you put the tailgate down does it clear RV in turns?
Kebees42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2020, 04:55 PM   #24
Snoking

Quote:
You answered my question. I also have a B&W slider. One more question is when hitch is in aft position do you have trouble with contact to the tailgate or do you put it down. If you put the tailgate down does it clear RV in turns?
What tailgate?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_20151006_170517167.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	29029  
Old 08-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #25
Kebees42

Quote:
What tailgate?
I guess I'll figure it out when I pick it up.

Thanks
Old 08-06-2020, 08:11 AM   #26
Camp CA

Quote:
.............not sure what to expect for turning radius during forward travel. Are 90 degree turns at intersections create any problems with can clearance? I getting a B&W Patriot manual slider for a hitch.
I towed fifth wheel trailer with a short bed truck for 15 years. For the first 10 years I had a manual Reese slider hitch, which was a pain to slide the hitch for maneuvering, until it failed to slide into the maneuvering position so could not back into tight camping sites without the trailer cab getting dangerously close to the truck cab. So replaced it with a Pullrite super glide hitch that automatically slides into maneuvering / towing positions without any manual operation. Never go back to a manual slider hitch, however, the new manual slider hitches probably better designed today for ease of sliding into the maneuvering position.

Never had a clearance issue making 90 degree intersection turns.
Camp CA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2020, 09:37 AM   #27
Brazo

Patriot slider

Quote:
I would like to hear some of your knowledge of towing a fifth wheel with a ram short bed. I am purchasing my first fifth wheel so not sure what to expect for turning radius during forward travel. Are 90 degree turns at intersections create any problems with can clearance? I getting a B&W Patriot manual slider for a hitch.
I have a Keystone Cougar 2015 X-Lite. My hitch is a Patriot slider 18K.I tow with a Dodge Ram 2019 short bed.No problems backing up or turning corners in fact I can back into my driveway 90% with the tailgate down and not hit my trailer.You will have no problems with the Patriot slider-great hitch american made!!!!
Brazo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 02:13 AM   #28
05Fatboy

I've had the Reese with slider and it worked ok as long as the ground was level but once with a not so level site I hit the cab but stopped before I broke the rear window , lesson learned . I swapped out the Reese-slider for the Pull-rite Super-glide , no worries now when maneuvering in tight sites.
05Fatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #29
Wicked1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonman View Post
We use the Anderson Ultimate hitch and have had nor problems with clearance between our Cougar and the Ram cab. No slider needed. The front caps on the new 5rs have cut outs to minimize any clearance issues.
We've had several "opportunities" to make U turns on city streets as well as negotiate several tight spots in campgrounds with no issues.
The other nice thing about the Anderson is it's light weight and is easily removed when not needed for towing.
Same here we have a 35’ Montana I pull with a F350 PSD SB with the Andersen, especially that I use my truck as a failed driver even the wife can lift the 35lb Andersen. I have plenty of clearance with the front cap can do a 90 degree and never come close also bottom of fifth wheel is 7” inches above my bed rails so I don’t have to worry

Ford uses the Factory Puck and Gooseneck ball made by Reese and that is what we have works well

If I had to go a slider it would be close to 300lbs and a pain to take in and out.
Wicked1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:14 PM   #30
CedarCreekWoody

Quote:
I've already committed to what I am buying. Maybe I should investigated a little more before. I have seen lots of people say we don't need and I purchased the manual slider just in case. I need to find a big open parking lot to see what it really does when I get it.
Good choice and a good plan. Get a friend to help watch and go check it out.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 04:25 PM   #31
Mwoods321

I have a 2016 ram 2500 shorted, towing a 333 mks, 5th wheel with the shaved corners on the cap, i also have a manual sliding hitch. Most of the tim I never need it.
Last year while traveling in Neveda I did a u turn in a regular size residential intersection. The ground was dipped down to allow for water runoff, I pinched my cab with the trailer cap. No damage to the trailer cap, but a pretty good dent on the cab, cost me 2k to repair at the body shop. Most expensive cup of coffee I ever got....
Mwoods321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:41 PM   #32
Big1

This is what I have , I have a PullRite 2600 Superlite and so far so good.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN3392.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	233.6 KB
ID:	29149   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3394.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	29150   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3397.JPG
Views:	98
Size:	234.7 KB
ID:	29151   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3398.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	29152   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3406.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	228.4 KB
ID:	29153  

Name:	DSCN3407.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	230.6 KB
ID:	29154  
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:37 AM   #33
JRTJH
Site Team

The fact that the hitch "can help do it" and the fact that "you can make it to those angles while backing with that hitch" are great "FOR CONVENIENCE"...

That said, the stress you're putting on your frame rails, spring hangers, equalizers, hubs/bearings, wheels and tires, axle tubes and spindles is "OUTRAGEOUS".....

Backing a fifth wheel at those angles on the "cheaply made trailer suspension composed of the lowest bidder products" is putting you at risk for as much damage and repair costs from failed suspension components as you're saving from your deductible cost to repair the cab if you happen to "push too far".....

Any sliding hitch is a compromise product, designed to allow escessively large angles when backing a fifth wheel... What that hitch, any sliding hitch, does is allow you to protect the bed, almost always by increasing the lateral forces on the trailer suspension....

Do they achieve the "functional purpose of providing additional clearance"??? Yes,,,, Is that "always a good thing" ??? NOPE.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 09:31 AM   #34
jim1

Check out the Reese sidewinder rotating pin boxes. This is my second fifth wheel with one and I haven't had any issues pulling them or backing up and maneuvering. I have a 2011 Ram 3500 4x4 short box with a Reese hitch(no sliders). It is like having your hitch almost 2' further back in your truck where the 5ver turn. It's a really good set up.
jim1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:25 AM   #35
Kebees42

I picked up my fifth wheel today and very happy how it handled on the way home. Truck ride was smoother than when towing the travel trailer. I went to a big open parking lot to play with sharp turning without putting the slider back. I turned my steering wheel to lock point and I never got closer than a foot of my cab. When backing up you could hit the cab but I was able to get far enough to see entire tailgate. I don't think I will ever have to use the slider function. Even backing up my driveway that has a 90 degree turn at the top I put it under my awning without using the slider.
Old 08-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #36
CedarCreekWoody

Good to hear that it tows and handles well. Do be aware that if you are backing into a spot that has a bit of uphill grade this can drastically reduce the cab to camper clearance. Just watch closely.
2019 Ram 2500, 4x4, Cummins diesel
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 01:03 PM   #37
Kebees42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Good to hear that it tows and handles well. Do be aware that if you are backing into a spot that has a bit of uphill grade this can drastically reduce the cab to camper clearance. Just watch closely.
That is my driveway. It is about 10-12 degrees uphill and almost 90 degree turn at the top. I back up it and only thing that got a little close was rear corners of bed rails. The gap between the underside of the camp and bed got down to 2-3 inches. I was creeping in and constantly getting out and looking incase my wife was missing something. Truck has no squat at all. We were also carrying 2/3 tank of fresh water.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:17 PM   #38
Snoking

Quote:
I picked up my fifth wheel today and very happy how it handled on the way home. Truck ride was smoother than when towing the travel trailer. I went to a big open parking lot to play with sharp turning without putting the slider back. I turned my steering wheel to lock point and I never got closer than a foot of my cab. When backing up you could hit the cab but I was able to get far enough to see entire tailgate. I don't think I will ever have to use the slider function. Even backing up my driveway that has a 90 degree turn at the top I put it under my awning without using the slider.
Sliding the hitch back will make the trailer a little more maneuverable, as the pivot point is then behind the axle.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:25 PM   #39
Kebees42

Quote:
Sliding the hitch back will make the trailer a little more maneuverable, as the pivot point is then behind the axle.
I haven't tried that yet. I have to do it with tailgate down because in the back position the pin box hits the tailgate.
Old 08-13-2020, 02:54 PM   #40
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:

Glad to hear that hitch is working out for you. I know you were just getting a feel for the way it all worked but keep in mind those sharp angles really put a bind on the tires and suspension. When I got mine I tried it out in my property next door which is just dirt. When kicking it hard and at a severe angle, backing or pulling forward, I could see the stress it was putting the tires by the way it was actually pushing up dirt ridges on the outside edges of the tires where they were being more or less dragged sideways instead of just rolling forward.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed